6.0 or 7.3 puller - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Sled Pulling How-to, FAQs

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2012, 08:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 or 7.3 puller

So Instead of making my 6.4 epic ima keep it smooth and nice and make a sick pulling truck and offroader
So what would be better for the job? Their around the same price here in Texas area but i dont know which one could be better later on because I know the 7.3 is usually a bulletproof motor and the 6.0 has some problems but can be fixed easy and make more power?
But overall which one would be better for a puller/offroader
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2012, 08:59 PM
The Silent Service

If you are going with a truck with the Automatic, go with the 6.0L as the 5R110 transmission can hold more power over stock than the 4R100 used with 7.3Ls. If you are lucky and find a ZF6, that won't matter.

Depending on the 7.3L in question, you may find yourself limited to around 400RWHP with the 1st gen PMF rods of the later trucks. Also getting a 7.3L over 500RWHP takes considerably more investment than a 6.0L.

The 6.0L has its flaws, and most are solved with the aftermarket. Check my sigs for monitoring, bullet-proofing and performance capabilities with the 6.0L. You can get to around 440-450RWHP on electronic progamming (SCT with FICM programming) alone.

I'd take the 6.0L, if you want a considerable amount of power on hand. Also with an '05-'07 truck with coil front suspension, you will have better turning and off road capabilities.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_dually View Post
If you are going with a truck with the Automatic, go with the 6.0L as the 5R110 transmission can hold more power over stock than the 4R100 used with 7.3Ls. If you are lucky and find a ZF6, that won't matter.

Depending on the 7.3L in question, you may find yourself limited to around 400RWHP with the 1st gen PMF rods of the later trucks. Also getting a 7.3L over 500RWHP takes considerably more investment than a 6.0L.

The 6.0L has its flaws, and most are solved with the aftermarket. Check my sigs for monitoring, bullet-proofing and performance capabilities with the 6.0L. You can get to around 440-450RWHP on electronic progamming (SCT with FICM programming) alone.

I'd take the 6.0L, if you want a considerable amount of power on hand. Also with an '05-'07 truck with coil front suspension, you will have better turning and off road capabilities.
If he's wanting to be serious about building a puller(which i assume he means sled puller) then stock parts don't mean ****. So that means either a built Torqshift that you hope will shift right and not have issues, or you can get a BTS built/PCS controlled 4r100 that will make 5r's cry all the way back to the trailer. Powerwise to hit over 500hp any engine will take work. 600hp isn't that difficult with a 7.3. Your talking dual SD pumps, decent HPOP, 200% nozzle injectors, decent sized charger, studs/springs/pushrods, and if your lucky and have good tuning the stock forged rods should hold for a while. Not sure with a 6.oh but i'm sure at least injectors will be needed for 500hp, and a similar parts list to hit 600.

Suspension-wise a early 6.0 or 7.3 will be a better puller as well. The coil SD's hop way to much in the front end, whereas leafs seem to stay fairly calm. Now of course if you went 3/4 link in the front it shouldn't hop at all either unless there is an issue.

Really need to know more about your goals/plans/budget to give much input though.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:52 PM
The Silent Service

First the OP stated this will be a pulling and off road truck, so drivability and handling off road is a consideration. I'd still recommend the '05+ 6.0L.

As for what it takes to make power, the 6.0L is more cost effective to make big power on. No need to touch the HPOP unless you go bigger than 205s. Transmissions the 5R110 willl hold up well to 550RWHP properly tuned stock. A few modifications for a dedicated puller and there isn't an issue., first gear is also lower on the 5R.

600HP on a 6.0L, studs, tuner (sct & ficm), turbo, injectors and a RR(and pump depending on injector choice). Basic, but ball park with an EGR solution for good measure. The 6.0L is a differnet beast with more potential.

I haven't bashed the 7.3L in my inital posting, simply stated itts weak points. Its a stong reliable motor, designed for reliability and low HP to displacement ratio. But pulling big power out of it, will require more investment than a 6.0L will.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Both motors and trans are getting built... you take the 6.0 because there is more potential
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.