What do you do - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Sled Pulling How-to, FAQs

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2007, 07:03 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What do you do

Hey i have a 99.5 ford super duty with 7.3 power stroke in it. I was thinking about going to a sled pull. I have the stock auto transmission the 4r100. I know to put it in 4 low and then what. Do you put the shifter into 1st then shift to second and leave it in second or shift it into drive which would be 3rd. if you keep it in second do you leave it in second till the sled stops or do you shift it back down into first when you start to slow down becuase of the wieght. and what do i sett my chip at 60 tow 80 or 120 thanks.

Last edited by 99POWERSTROKE7.3; 07-11-2007 at 07:31 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2007, 06:37 AM
John Wood Nut Swinger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Put her in 4 low, second gear. after you are given the green flag, Stand on the brake and give a little peddle to spool the turbo. It will start to push you past the braking ability, when that happens, let off the brake and mash it!!!! get it up to 3K and hold it, I do it by ear. When it starts to bog a little mash it again and hold it there. Jody programs a nice rev limiter so it is nice and smooth when you hit it. If you feel wheel hop, either mash it and drive out of it or let up a TINY bit and it will stop.

One last thing. BREATH!!! My brother almost puked on his first hook. I eat Altoids to help the anxiety. You are in for some of the best fun allowed with our clothes on next to rodeo.

Keep Strokin'
Old 07-21-2007, 08:06 AM
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99POWERSTROKE7.3 View Post
Hey i have a 99.5 ford super duty with 7.3 power stroke in it. I was thinking about going to a sled pull. I have the stock auto transmission the 4r100. I know to put it in 4 low and then what. Do you put the shifter into 1st then shift to second and leave it in second or shift it into drive which would be 3rd. if you keep it in second do you leave it in second till the sled stops or do you shift it back down into first when you start to slow down becuase of the wieght. and what do i sett my chip at 60 tow 80 or 120 thanks.
Chip on the 120. More power the better. 4lo, 2nd gear, shift to 3rd when/if your RPM's get up. leave it in 3rd, stand on it until it completely stops you or you get the red flag waved...
Old 07-22-2007, 08:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

3rd gear is way too big of a gear for that setup. Keep it in 2nd and let her eat.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I agree, unless your truck has some guts behind it, it will not hold 3rd gear. Leave it in 2nd and leave it on the floor.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ive been wanting to go to a local one here around town. So Heres what i do...

Spool it up, wait till sled starts to push me then let her loose. Start in second and in 4lo,keep it there unless I hit rev limiter and go into third. How hard is this on the tranny? I wouldnt think it would be that hard since your staying in one gear and not shifting through. What are yalls EGT's getting up too?Any other techniques or tips. Ive been drag racing a few times in the stroke so I know what the adrenalin rush is like. THanks Guys,

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.