Truck / Tractor Pull Conversation - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Sled Pulling How-to, FAQs

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2007, 12:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck / Tractor Pull Conversation

Ok everyone this will be a little off the beaten path...

Went to a Truck / Tractor pull Sat. night here in Tennessee and they had a couple of exhibition (stock- diesel) new trucks do a pull at the end (a Dodge-Cummings and a Chevy-Duramax)

Well as you might guess I got a little interested as they are doing it again in Sept and this time as a "class" of its own. I have a 06 F350 Harley Davidson edition that I have added an air-raid intake, Edge II programmer and waiting on deliverly of a 4" exhaust (Gus )

I am not a mechanic other than the basics and have more money that sense I beleive to even entertain the idea

My questions: (Hoping the true experts will help me work through this)

1. Watching the Dodge and Chevy (Chevy pulled further)...as the Dodge had trouble getting the sled started first attempt...given the need to build speed as you go down the track, would you use 4x4 or 4x4 low?

2. With the 20" rims of the Harley edition, would going to a smaller rim size be an advantage? (would have to put on tires that have a little more grip, but not too much...as I need to spin the tire some)

3. Should I abandon the thought all together?

4. anyone know about the wiring for the kill switch in the back?

5. Other advice??

Thanks in advance,
Chas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2007, 12:58 PM
Banned

Headstuds!!!!!!
Old 06-11-2007, 03:03 PM
Is it even worth it???

Send a message via AIM to ABOBB Send a message via Yahoo to ABOBB
Without knowing more about your truck I can't answer all of your questions.. but I'll do the best I can with a guess or two.

You definately want to pull in 4x4 low range.
With either an auto or manual, you'll probably do best in 2nd gear. (with an auto, put the selector in 2, not in D or OD).

Not sure what tires you have, and I don't personally see a disadvantage to the 20's.

For an auto trans, once hooked to the sled, chain tight, and given the green flag, hold the brakes and give it some throttle to build some boost before taking off. Your goal is the same as if you were trying to drive up a hill on ice, you want to accellerate as much as possible, but not spin the tires. A little spin is ok, but too much will hurt your distance. Also.. if it bounces at all, QUIT. Bouncing will hurt parts faster than anything thing else that might happen.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:10 PM
Premium Member

I dont think you need the kill switch for your truck. i think that is for the bigger guys.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:41 PM

you should think about a duel stealth pump set up it will increase your low end

i think you would wand 4x4 high but i have a 410 rear end
Old 06-18-2007, 01:16 PM
Powerstroke Techie

4-low, 2nd gear. wheel size doesn't really matter, tire size does though. if you are stock size you should be fine. Stock tires won't have enough traction to break anything other than traction.

Personally I've tried both ways taken it easy and gettin the sled rollin and building boost and just mashing the pedal. I did better just mashing the pedal becasue I got the front of the sled off of the ground and got the weight of the sled on the tires of the sled and got my speed up quicker and made it alot further that way.

And like abobb said if it starts hopping quit right away. I havent seen anybody break anything unless they let it start hopping then stuff starts flyin.

It is alot of fun to do. Once you do it you'll want to do it again and again.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:19 AM
one day at a time

I think I'm going to try pulling in the stock class at the county fair in a little less than a month. I'm actually a bit nervous cause I don't know what to expect out of my truck... But I do have a question and I'm sure its a stupid one but... What do I do for a hitch? Where can I get one and I wouldn't plan on borrowing one as I don't know anyone who pulls myself. I know it needs to be a reese style hitch for my receiver and needs a hoop on it and it should sit no more than 26" off the ground, but where do I come up with one? Thanks in advance for any insight.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

use a 2" drop hitch fliped over with a shacke in it
Old 06-19-2007, 07:24 AM

the first time down the track will leaving you very nervous but with a couple of runs under your belt will really boost ya..i was scared to death about breaking stuff but with the first shot down the track with every thing still in tact and a full pull to boot i was excited and being in the pull off i pulled with in 50ft of the winner witch didn't like it very much seeing i was only runnin a programmer against his super modded cummins that wasn't plated for the street..good luck
Old 06-19-2007, 09:27 AM

Send a message via MSN to Cj Ford Send a message via Yahoo to Cj Ford
you recomend taking off in 2nd with a manual too? now whan you say 2nd you mean the normal 2nd not including the creeper gear right
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.