how much stress does pulling put on your truck? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Sled Pulling How-to, FAQs

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 12:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
how much stress does pulling put on your truck?

hey guys, just a couple quick questions. the other day my buddy asked me if i planned on pulling my truck at any local fairs this year, he's got an 04 duramax and says he plans on doing it. both of our trucks are pretty much stock, just exhaust and tuners really. my truck is an 06 psd with 30k on it. i told him i wasnt to sure about doing sled pulls because i dont really want to beat on my truck too bad, so i guess my first question is how much stress does pulling put your truck through? what should i look for as far as bad chit happening when pulling/what is likely to break, and... if you think my truck would have a chance against his d-max if we both made good runs? haha, thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2010, 09:41 AM

Who's tunes do you have and who's tunes does the DMax have?
What size/type tires do each have?
What cab/bed config. is each?
How is each setup? (weight, location or weight, hitch height, suspension, etc)

Its alittle harder to choose a winner than just PSD or DMax with tuners...
Old 02-25-2010, 11:58 AM

mine will be a custom tuned sct with 35" toyo mt's

dmax has a quadzilla i think? with some kind of all terrain

both are regular cabs with stock suspension, other than my truck having a leveling kit to clear 35's
Old 02-25-2010, 12:39 PM

IF ur doesnt hop when u try and take off with it ull out pull him. first thing his will do is the front tires will turn in towards each other and kill his pulling.

sled pulling is probely the most stressful thing u can do to a truck. it jus all out everything ur truck has for 30-40 seconds and the further u pull the harder it is on ur truck.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDiesel View Post
IF ur doesnt hop when u try and take off with it ull out pull him. first thing his will do is the front tires will turn in towards each other and kill his pulling.

sled pulling is probely the most stressful thing u can do to a truck. it jus all out everything ur truck has for 30-40 seconds and the further u pull the harder it is on ur truck.
It is supposed to e easier on transmissions than drag racing, depending on your pulling strategy. If you stay in one gear pulling, it is not as abusive as the trans shifting at WOT in a drag race. Just passing along what I have heard from someone that has been in the business awhile...

Also, I doubt your pull will last 30-40 seconds unless you drag it 600' More around 20 seconds.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:16 PM

some of the stock trucks that jus inch along id think they r around 30 sec. dunno never actually timed one. ive always had my truck shift. drag racin when u shift ur tranny is only movin wat like 8000 lbs when mine shifts its moving the 8000lbs plus the 49000lbs worth of sled along with it.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
some of the stock trucks that jus inch along id think they r around 30 sec. dunno never actually timed one. ive always had my truck shift. drag racin when u shift ur tranny is only movin wat like 8000 lbs when mine shifts its moving the 8000lbs plus the 49000lbs worth of sled along with it.
True, I always leave it in 4low, 2nd gear. This year I plan to put it in drive and turn od off and let it do its thing.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:41 PM

DONT LEAVE IT IN 2ND. i did that in my very first hook and then discovered that the truck doesnt shift it only starts off in second. wat i always do is after i spool the turbo i put it down in 1st and mat it. when the rpms get to 3300 i push forward hard and up slightly on the shifter so it only goes up and stops in 2nd cog and itll shift right when it hits 3500.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
DONT LEAVE IT IN 2ND. i did that in my very first hook and then discovered that the truck doesnt shift it only starts off in second. wat i always do is after i spool the turbo i put it down in 1st and mat it. when the rpms get to 3300 i push forward hard and up slightly on the shifter so it only goes up and stops in 2nd cog and itll shift right when it hits 3500.
I know this, I wanted it to start in second. It leaves the line easy and stays locked in gear. I control rpms and boost by locking the TC when needed. IMO starting in 1st/4low is to low of a gear...
Old 02-26-2010, 06:43 AM

to each his own i guess. i think that would be torture on atranny to start off with that much weight in 2nd gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.