1st time sled pullin, coulda been better... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Sled Pulling How-to, FAQs

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2009, 11:29 PM
Coal Rolling = Posing

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1st time sled pullin, coulda been better...

So, popped my cherry tonight...

I coulda done better than a freakin 201.5, but it was rough as hell. They had 3 lanes at once goin, and they didn't have a clue how they wanted the truck pulls to run. Right before the "diesel truck" class, they had "super farm stock" (big 8 wheeled tractors) runnin in our lane, and they couldn't weight the sled down enough to stop them things, so they made 'em run in 2WD. So, the first 100 feet of the track was CHEWED up. They didn't adjust the weight after that class either.

I was pretty happy anyway, the way the wheel was whippin in my hands as it caught ruts and holes and me tryin to steer around 'em when it wasn't whippin by itself, I never got the throttle all the way to the floor. I think on a smooth track I'd a been closer to a full pull. When I got on it, it started movin right away, I had zero trouble gettin the sled started...

Crappy vid, sorry, I wasn't plannin on pullin as my buddies truck is down with a busted front end, and if I woulda broke, we'd have been walkin...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2009, 06:29 AM
Is it even worth it???

Send a message via AIM to ABOBB Send a message via Yahoo to ABOBB
You are right, the video isn't great. Can't tell that it's throwing you around.

Was that in 4-hi or 4-low?

Sled looks pretty modern, even without changing weights, they may have slowed the box down, which would make a difference.

I also can't tell if the truck shifted, etc. It looked like a straight "tug" pull, and you didn't seem to gain much speed through mid-track, which is the key to a good pull.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:54 PM
Coal Rolling = Posing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABOBB View Post
You are right, the video isn't great. Can't tell that it's throwing you around.

Was that in 4-hi or 4-low?

Sled looks pretty modern, even without changing weights, they may have slowed the box down, which would make a difference.

I also can't tell if the truck shifted, etc. It looked like a straight "tug" pull, and you didn't seem to gain much speed through mid-track, which is the key to a good pull.
It didn't throw me around much, as I was featherin the throttle. Lettin out when I hit bumpy spots. My buddy said he was screamin at me to stay in it, 'cause he could hear my turbo goin up and down. Also the reason for the crappy mid track speed. It was mostly steering wheel feedback that was keepin me out of the throttle. The wheel was all over the place.

I pulled in 4 lo, in drive, with OD off. I'm sure it upshifted from the starting line, but I couldn't tell you how far. I know it did shift back down to 1st at the end, but I was pretty fixated on the throttle and the bumps while I was movin. And of course the OMG it's my first pull lol. I don't know what my EGT's got to, or boost, or speedometer, etc...

I'm sure they slowed the box down, didn't mean it to sound like we were tryin to pull the same setup as the tractors. But they deffinately didn't take any weight out.

Here's the link to the CompD boys talkin about it.

Hopkinsville ky pull July 9th - Page 2 - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

Last edited by chvyrkr; 07-12-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:56 PM
Coal Rolling = Posing

And after watchin my crappy vid again, you can't hear my truck over a tractor or something. The only part of the vid that you hear MY truck is the last few seconds. And you can hear it downshift.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

did you build boost before u started?
Old 07-12-2009, 03:12 PM
Coal Rolling = Posing

No, I had plans for the truck this weekend lol.

A 6.4 in front of me did and smoked his truck. Not sure what all broke, but there was oil on the track when they towed him off. Poor guy.

I've towed heavy, though. And before I got into diesels I was big into offroading. I actually bought a diesel to tow my 78, and 74 mud trucks because I was tired of workin on 'em to get 'em home. So I know how to break stuff and doin a modified boost launch with a heavy sled just screams, "you're gonna tow it home" to me lol. I know lots of guys prove that wrong, but I didn't have any trouble gettin it movin without boostin up. If I woulda been comfortable with the track, or didn't have big plans that I needed the truck for, I mighta rolled into it all the way when it started to move, and I think, I'd have got good speed up. I was gettin really good throttle response when I was gettin into it.

On edit, experiance is everything, and this was my first sled pull. So...

Last edited by chvyrkr; 07-12-2009 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

it was a decent pull but your buddy is right, u gotta stay on the pedal and make sure u have your hubs engaged if not that can screw you. the best grip is loose on the wheel and allowing it to work out the ruts by its self.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:43 PM
Coal Rolling = Posing

Thanks for the feedback from y'all so far, that's what I'm lookin for.

And hopefully with experience things'll get better lol.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:49 PM
Coal Rolling = Posing

Quote:
Originally Posted by chvyrkr81 View Post
No, I had plans for the truck this weekend lol.

A 6.4 in front of me did and smoked his truck. Not sure what all broke, but there was oil on the track when they towed him off. Poor guy.

I've towed heavy, though. And before I got into diesels I was big into offroading. I actually bought a diesel to tow my 78, and 74 mud trucks because I was tired of workin on 'em to get 'em home. So I know how to break stuff and doin a modified boost launch with a heavy sled just screams, "you're gonna tow it home" to me lol. I know lots of guys prove that wrong, but I didn't have any trouble gettin it movin without boostin up. If I woulda been comfortable with the track, or didn't have big plans that I needed the truck for, I mighta rolled into it all the way when it started to move, and I think, I'd have got good speed up. I was gettin really good throttle response when I was gettin into it.

On edit, experiance is everything, and this was my first sled pull. So...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrubel View Post
it was a decent pull but your buddy is right, u gotta stay on the pedal and make sure u have your hubs engaged if not that can screw you. the best grip is loose on the wheel and allowing it to work out the ruts by its self.
ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS manually lock your hubs. If you don't have that option, replace your hubs lol.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:03 AM
Is it even worth it???

Send a message via AIM to ABOBB Send a message via Yahoo to ABOBB
Rough tracks suck, plain and simple.

A boosted launch will most definately help, but until you are in a higher class, I don't think there is a need for a "big time" launch. A lot of the guys you see doing the kind of launch have to, for two reasons.

One, the turbo is large enough that they have to have it spooled before they take off, they won't have much luck spooling it under a load.

Two, it's usually the manual transmissions that do that as well, and they are packing a big gear to get their speed. They have to have it cranked up pretty good to get it moving in that big cog.

If you've got gauges, other than for taking off, ignore them. Once you get into a pull where you actually run it wide open, the EGT for one will only scare you.

I'm not real familiar with the 6.4s and the boost levels they are making, but my suggestion would be to build to somewhere between 5 and 10 lbs, then taking off much like you already did. Slip the brake, let it get rolling a little, then trade brake for throttle in a smooth, even transition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.