Gun Safe - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
SHOOTING SPORTS Shooting Sports Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2014, 08:05 AM
<b>Premium Member</b>

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gun Safe

I've been looking into a gun safe for awhile, I've got 6 hand guns, 3 shot guns and a rifle. I've looked at the ones they have at the sporting goods stores and they seem kinda cheap, not cheap in price though; these are the ones I saw: Field and Streams Sporting Goods - San Angelo, TX

They had decent room inside, and pretty solid construction, but never owned a gun safe before other than a small sentry fire safe that I store 3 of my hand guns in, and thats more for documents and jewelry.

Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2014, 05:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Nearly every commercialy advertised "gun safe" is really a residential security box. There is nothing safe about them and any reasonable thief can get in with little effort. This goes for all the name brands you see. What you should be looking for, if you value your items, is a retired commercial/bank safe with a (underwriters laboratories) TL rating. TL15, TL30, TL-TR.....check with safe vendors and bank supply companies for good used ones. Some might require you to build out the interior for gun use. They are very heavy too. My TL15 has solid 1" thick steel sides, back, top, and bottom, and a 1.5" thick door. Its 4000lbs + and 6'x3'x3'. That should give you an idea of what a "safe" really is
Old 07-19-2014, 12:52 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Or you can cheat like I did and replace a closet door with a solid one, security hinges and a combination deadbolt. It keeps the casual person out but the determined person with a chainsaw or in the case of a safe a dolly out.
c69ss396 likes this.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:18 PM
Premium Member

That is not a bad idea
Old 07-20-2014, 05:41 PM
<b>Premium Member</b>

I hear you guys on a "safe room" so to speak, but my family has a large 800lbs safe in the basement, where we store most or our firearms, I'm looking for a personal one, no more than 150-200lbs that will be put inside a dead bolted closet.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGreen06 View Post
I hear you guys on a "safe room" so to speak, but my family has a large 800lbs safe in the basement, where we store most or our firearms, I'm looking for a personal one, no more than 150-200lbs that will be put inside a dead bolted closet.
I think that would be a waste of time and money. Might as well get a stack-on cabinet. My safe was so heavy we had to take off the door to move it. The only thing better than a T series safe is a poured concrete vault.

Sent from one of the worst apps in the world
Old 07-20-2014, 08:30 PM

I personally just have a little cheap kinda thing from local sporting store...I use it more like a gun case with a lock, instead of a gun safe...but I do have it somewat hidden in my house but if someone finds it's, they could prolly break into no problem
Old 07-20-2014, 08:32 PM
Rodslinger's B1TCH

What good are they in a safe? They should be inder your bed and loaded. Handgun under the pillow is a good idea too.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve604 View Post
What good are they in a safe? They should be inder your bed and loaded. Handgun under the pillow is a good idea too.
Although we can all appreciate a good joke, extending YOUR second ammendment rights to thieves or worse, children, is never a good time. There are some really cool fingertip combination handgun safes that attach to the side of your night stand. Loaded and ready, yet safe and secure from little fingers

Sent from one of the worst apps in the world
Old 07-20-2014, 08:49 PM
Premium Member

bolt your safe to the foundation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.