Need To Know What I'm Looking For In a Revolver - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
SHOOTING SPORTS Shooting Sports Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 11:50 AM
The Screwy HEUI

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Need To Know What I'm Looking For In a Revolver

I'm currently in the market for a used Colt Python .357 with a 6" or 4" barrel. I've found quite a few for sale on many sites. I've owned 1 other Colt revolver(a 1970 Colt Trooper MKIII .357)but the gun was given to me by a close family member, I had only used it a few at my local rod & gun club, & I had to sell it 10yrs ago due to financial problems. Basically saying: the gun was given to me in pristine condition, but I didn't get to keep it long. I now have money to purchase another firearm & I've fallen in love with the Python after using one some 5yrs ago at an outdoor range.

After some research, I found Colt discontinued the Python in '96, so the newest ones I'll find will be around 17yrs old. The majority of the ones I've found are from the late 70s to mid 80s and they're the finish I like(blue steel with wood grain grips, just like the Trooper!). However, I've never purchased a used firearm before & I need some advice. Here are my questions:

1.) What do I need to look for in it's overall physical condition?
2.) How can I tell if the barrel's in good shape? For that matter, how can I identify bluing on a blue steel finish?
3.) How can I tell if it's timed properly without finding out the "hard way"?
4.) Should I worry if the adjustable sights are too far off?
5.) Pythons have swing out cylinders. What do I need to look for here besides hesitant crane action?
6.) Is there anything else I'm missing?

Thanks to all in advance. I'd appreciate it if anyone who reads this thread doesn't turn it into a "shooting gallery" so-to-speak with the lack of knowledge I have in used gun purchases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2013, 02:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I don't know enough about revolvers to be any help, but those old Pythons are freaking sexy.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:58 PM
7.3 4 Ever! Nothing else!

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Ruger .357 and a Taurus .357 are real nice! Thats what I shoot
Old 10-17-2013, 07:29 AM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Mojo View Post
I don't know enough about revolvers to be any help, but those old Pythons are freaking sexy.
Out of all the revolvers I've ever used, the Python's the most distinctive & SEXY as hell in appearance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000-7.3L View Post
Ruger .357 and a Taurus .357 are real nice! Thats what I shoot
I know it's excessive, but I had a short-lived powerful lust for a Taurus Raging Bull .454. At my local rod & gun club, they have an event called Settler's Day where the handgun, trap shooting, & .50 rifle range are open to the public(amongst other festivities) for a weekend in Sept. Up until 3yrs. ago, at the handgun range, they had small, medium, & large caliber handguns. After trying out a .50 Desert Eagle a few times, it got boring; no accuracy whatsoever & that particular gun jammed more times than it fired. I tried out the .454 & I LOVED IT! Accurate, nice SA/DA, & the recoil was nowhere as fierce as the Desert Eagle's, even for a BIG revolver with those Casull slugs. I didn't twitch once with the .454 like I did pulling the trigger on the DE. That's another nice piece I'd like to put in my future collection. I'm sure you get the same enjoyment out of your Taurus .357, which is also a sweet gun. As a matter of fact, your Taurus is a Raging Bull chambered .357, isn't it?

Last edited by RadarRider; 10-17-2013 at 07:34 AM.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:46 AM
7.3 4 Ever! Nothing else!

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarRider View Post
Out of all the revolvers I've ever used, the Python's the most distinctive & SEXY as hell in appearance.

I know it's excessive, but I had a short-lived powerful lust for a Taurus Raging Bull .454. At my local rod & gun club, they have an event called Settler's Day where the handgun, trap shooting, & .50 rifle range are open to the public(amongst other festivities) for a weekend in Sept. Up until 3yrs. ago, at the handgun range, they had small, medium, & large caliber handguns. After trying out a .50 Desert Eagle a few times, it got boring; no accuracy whatsoever & that particular gun jammed more times than it fired. I tried out the .454 & I LOVED IT! Accurate, nice SA/DA, & the recoil was nowhere as fierce as the Desert Eagle's, even for a BIG revolver with those Casull slugs. I didn't twitch once with the .454 like I did pulling the trigger on the DE. That's another nice piece I'd like to put in my future collection. I'm sure you get the same enjoyment out of your Taurus .357, which is also a sweet gun. As a matter of fact, your Taurus is a Raging Bull chambered .357, isn't it?
No, mine is the small concealment one!
Old 10-18-2013, 08:22 AM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000-7.3L View Post
No, mine is the small concealment one!
PICS!
Old 10-18-2013, 08:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have to admit, I had a Colt Trooper Mark III in the early 80's and hate to this day that I sold it. Had a 6" barrel and very accurate for a pistol, I traded it for a Smith 686 which was nice but not as nice as the Colt. Now a days I shoot autos. Good luck in your search for a Python, those are really sweet also.

Edit. I said autos but really semi autos as we all know but my so called autos are the double action autos. My Sig P229 is a DAK which takes some serious getting use to but is very sweet shooting pistol.

Last edited by NCDeerHunter; 10-18-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.