good varmint rifle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
SHOOTING SPORTS Shooting Sports Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 08:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
good varmint rifle

Need some advice folks. Next October I'm going on a predator hunt in Texas and need a good rifle that won't ruin the pelt on a bobcat/coyote/gray fox. Right now my only choices are a .243 or .22mag, the .243 I'm afraid will just make too big of a hole and the .22mag I feel is just not heavy enough for yotes. Lately I've been thinking of trading the .243 since I already have 2 good deer rifles plus if I were too keep it I would have to rescope it as the scope on it is just more than I need. I was thinking at looking at either a .222, .223, or a .204. Would really like y'alls opinions on these as fur guns. I am not looking for an AR type rifle since I would still like to use it in PA for groundhogs and predators so probably a bolt gun or possibly a good single shot, what's everyone's opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2013, 08:42 AM

I don't know how many coyotes Ive dropped with my 223. Great gun. Has nice flat shot.
But heck as a kid I just had a plain old 22pump and did pretty good.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:50 AM

I was sorta leaning towards a .223 since ammo is (was) fairly available, plus its a flat shooter that will knock the snot out of a yote. I'm not against shooting them with the .22mag if its all I have, but I've heard too many horror stories of em getting away and don't want to take that chance on a paid hunting trip, thanks for the help

By the way, what round are you shooting in your .223
Old 07-15-2013, 09:43 AM

Wow its been so long since I store bought any ammo Id be guessin if I tried to say. I buy from a freind of mine that reloads. Last time I bought I handed him a$100 and he gave me a pretty good size box. I have no idea how many was even in there...
Old 07-15-2013, 10:12 AM

I don't varmint hunt but when a coyote walks while I am deer hunting the 270wsm does a fine job. My hunting buddy has a nice varmint rifle, its a Remington 223 with heavy barrel. IMO a 223 will do just fine but good shot placement is required, a little bullet traveling really fast without much expansion. Also if you are going to get a 223 I would go with a rifle chambered for 5.56 so you can fire both rounds in the rifle. Not safe to fire 5.56 out of a 223 chamber because of the increased pressures of the round, though people do it.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:25 AM

I use my .243 and 22/250 and they both perform very well w/ 65grain bullets and make small holes in the fur while dropping them in their tracks. Best/longest shot I have personally made was with the .243, 535 yds and dropped in its tracks and that is a long shot for a Georgia boy. Oh and I have been using the same .243 for 31yrs now so Im really comfortable with her and know she will do the job.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:36 AM

Thanks for the help guys, I actually thought about just using the .243 but using a heavy bullet that won't expand so rapidly on a small thin skinned critter, if I wasn't worried bout pelts I'd just take the .257 weatherby
Old 07-15-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Goose View Post
I use my .243 and 22/250 and they both perform very well w/ 65grain bullets and make small holes in the fur while dropping them in their tracks. Best/longest shot I have personally made was with the .243, 535 yds and dropped in its tracks and that is a long shot for a Georgia boy. Oh and I have been using the same .243 for 31yrs now so Im really comfortable with her and know she will do the job.
LOL Georgia boy? That's a long shot for anyone period. Good shootin!
Old 07-15-2013, 01:03 PM

I like a .22/250 for coyotes but the .243 would be a great choice also. Where I am they are skittish and the .22 mag does not have the range I would like.

I would worry more about the bullet then the gun though as there are so many small calibers rounds that would get the job done.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:36 PM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via AIM to buckels Send a message via MSN to buckels Send a message via Yahoo to buckels
You can get a Mini 14 in .223!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.