Assault Rifles - What to buy - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
SHOOTING SPORTS Shooting Sports Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 04:14 AM
PMR = JUNK

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Assault Rifles - What to buy

I have $300 credit at a local gun shop because i won a raffle. I've been wanting an assault rifle for quite some time now, I'm just not exactly sure what to buy. I think my best options are AR-15, AK, and SKS. I'm leaning more toward the AR. Any advice there on what to get would be great.

Also, if i do go with the AR, what brand, model, etc would be best? I want quality, reliability, accuracy and mod-ability in a reasonable price range. Being able to add a scope, light, bayonet, bipod, etc would be awesome.

One that can be easily switched to full auto would be cool too, ya know, in case i get a permit for that some day down the road.

Basically what i'm looking for is a badazz, military type tactical assault rifle in case chit hits the fan, and that is fun to shoot. Extremely long range accuracy isn't a requirement, i have my Mosin-Nagant for that, though long range accuracy is a plus.

Last edited by Jake; 05-01-2012 at 04:34 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2012, 04:36 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would definitely get an AR. I like the rock river brand with eotech sights. Very accurate guns. A friend of mine has one and i've seen him hit targets with tracers at 1000yds. He is a competitive long range shooter though.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What type of shooting will you be doing? Is this a hunting gun, only shooting paper, etc? AR's are built in several different calibers, so depending on what your plans are, the caliber may need to be adjusted. If you plan to only shoot paper, stick to your 223/556. If you will be hunting hogs or anything larger, I'd upgrade to a 6.8 or 7.62 for more knockdown power. Whichever caliber you decide, stick to a flat top upper with a quad rail, which will give you endless options to add sights, lights, lasers, grenade launchers or any other attachment to fight the zombies off. Rock River's are good, as well as Daniel Defense, but I'd steer away from Colt (personal opinion). Colt has a lot of proprietary parts and it can be a pain to find them. Also, what is your price range for the gun itself? Optics can get very pricey, so be prepared to spend some coin if you want a decked out gun.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:47 AM
PMR = JUNK

I plan on sticking with the .223/5.56 caliber. Mostly shooting paper, beer bottles, riots, or zombies. I have a 7.62x54 (mosin) for the 3 mile away/kill something that is hiding behind half inch steel armor shots.

The gun also has to be a brand that is at least somewhat easily accessible. I don't know what kind of connections this gun shop has so something that any gun shop can get ahold of is ideal.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Please dont call it an "assault" rifle.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:15 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanman28 View Post
Please dont call it an "assault" rifle.

My black gun of choice, the Ak-47. Bigger caliber round, easy to clean (if you HAVE to), can be shot dirty with little to no issues. There's a reason rebels around the world use this rifle
Old 05-01-2012, 01:22 PM
PMR = JUNK

What should i call it then?

The thing is, AK's have gone up so much in price they are about the same as an AR.

What about like a mini 14 or something like that? How are those?
Old 05-01-2012, 02:20 PM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via AIM to buckels Send a message via MSN to buckels Send a message via Yahoo to buckels
Its just a Rifle to be called an assault rifle it must be a fully automatic weapon. And I like the AR platform. I love my Bushmaster!
Old 05-01-2012, 02:40 PM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Mini's are nice, but IMO, not part of the same family you're looking at. I have a WASR-10, while it's a cheap AK, once you know the issues, the aftermarket vendors have you covered. Assuming you pick out a good one to begin with

WASR-10's can be had for less than 600 bucks around here
Old 05-01-2012, 02:42 PM
PMR = JUNK

I can get a brand new AR for around 750 here. I'm not gonna buy a cheap AK with issues for about 600 when i can get a good gun for 150 more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.