Want a new gun - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
SHOOTING SPORTS Shooting Sports Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2011, 07:04 PM
<b>Premium Member</b>

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Want a new gun

I have 2 .45s: a G21 and a G30; and a Walther P22. I currently use my P22 as my conceal carry, but I know that other than the intimidation factor, if I actually needed to use it, it wouldn't do much. I have a shoulder holster for my G21, but only really wear that during the winter when I can conceal it under a coat. So I've been thinking about getting a 9, been looking at Springfield Armory XDm's and Sig Arms 9's, but cant really find one that I like. Just wanted to ask what others think and what y'all carry, and which way you think I should go. Not saying I want someone to tell me which way to go, but just looking for suggestions.

Thanks A lot.

James.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2011, 07:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Why not carry the Glock 30?
Old 07-28-2011, 07:37 PM

This is what I carry!

J/K I carry a glock 36. Love it.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:33 PM
Premium Member

I'm with Bad Mojo . . . . the G30 is a great carry weapon. The G21 is too big. I've been conceal carrying for a long time. played with a lot of holsters . . a shoulder holster is a waste of time and money. Every serious instructor will tell you that. Shoulder holster were designed for people who reasonably know when they are going to draw there weapon . . . as an ACTION, not a REACTION.

Hear me out for a minute. . . . or two. . or three!

I have 4 Kimber 1911s. three of them in the 4" Pro-carry (commander size) I have a Sig P228 and a P229 Elite - arguably one of the best, if not the best, combat handgun ever. I have a Glock G30, G19, G26.

I used to carry the Sigs exclusively. The thought was they are thinner lighter, and have more capacity. With a 147g +P round you can kill just about any bad guy.

When I got real serious about the whole idea behind conceal carry or open carry - I do both. I decided that the 45ACP best suited me. I am more concerned about stopping power than capacity.

I started carrying my Kimbers while at home and in public, in condition 1, or "****ed & locked" I also carry 1 or 2 additional mags depending on my moods.

On a dare, I bought the G30 . . . .remember I'm a diehard Sig guy. I loved the G30 so much I decided to start carrying it. I carry it all of the time. I do still carry my 1911s more than 1/2 the time I carry, but if I want something quick an simple, won't snag my clothes, and has 45ACP 230g +P I go for the G30. There is nothing simpler than a Glock. That's why everybody that makes a handgun these days is copying it. Including Springfield.

I only pack the Sigs when I'm wearing a tight or form fitting outfit, like a tailored suit. The Sigs are also the firearms that are always loaded at home, always placed where I may need them, where my wife may need them. I can guarantee that they will fire, fire true and straight every single time.

I carry the G26 as a back-up in an ankle holster when I'm in the mood for it - rarely, but for a sub-compact its a smooth shooter. I bought a Gen 4 G19 because its cool! never carried it.

75% of the time I carry IWB (inside waist band) it may feel weird at first, but with the right holster you get used to it very quickly. I have several models and types of IWB holsters, but I started carrying exclusively with the Comp-Tac MTAC holster. They are not the cheapest, but they are the best in my opinion. There is a lot of things you can do with it. Although I have 4 of them, you can purchase a holster, and then multiple skins for each pistol you would want to carry. They also by far!!!! . . . have the best mag holsters!! I don't work for them, don't "promote" them, hell I don't even know them, other than their product is top notch!

Don't waste your time with the Cross-Breed or Galco copy-cats. The metal clips will tear your clothes, scratch your furniture, ruin your belts, and cut you leather seats!

If you prefer an OWB holster and you live someplace where you can even get in trouble if someone can see something that looks like a gun under your shirt, I'd suggest one of the traditional leather holster that have a high ride to them. I have Galco Concealment holsters for all of my carry weapons. They stick close to your body, ride high on your waist, and don't have a strap to worry about fumbling with when you need it.

Most of the time when I do open carry or use an OWB I use a Comp-Tac Cant holster or a SERPA. If I need to keep it tight, up and out of view I switch to the Galco.

In short!!!!! . . . If you don't have a ton of experience start packing your G30, its simple, and out of the box one of the best shooting pistols available . . . send the shoulder holster to the Goodwill, at minimum get an MTAC IWB. at first your waist may feel a little tight. get used to it. It is by far the best way to conceal, if concealed is your intent. Don't waist your money or your life for that matter on a pocket pistol. those things were meant to be back ups. they are better than nothing, but also give you a very false sense of security. If you must buy a 9mm get a G19 or a G26, not because they're the best, but because you are already familiar with it.

3 months ago I bought a new pistol for my brother who has only owned one pistol, a Chinese Russian copy . . .need I say more!! I asked my old school gunny sarge friend at the counter who is a diehard Springfield guy. . . . which is the better gun all around for a novice to reasonably experienced shooter, the Gen 4 Glock or the XD? We talked about a lot of things . . . In the end he made the choice for me, I bought two G19s that day. Need a good solid entry level no nonsense gun, go with the XD. If you can afford a little more, want something that is proven to be a more solid player, trust your life with it for the next 30 years, get a Glock.

There's my 50 cents worth!

Good luck!
Old 07-28-2011, 08:37 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Quote:
Originally Posted by snap View Post
This is what I carry!

J/K I carry a glock 36. Love it.
IDK whats funny about that... I've been known to carry my Super Redhawk.

I generally carry my SP101 in .357 Magnum. Excellent, devastating round.

I'm a bigger boy, but it conceals (in pant) very easy, holds 5 rounds, and I keep 2 speed-loaders on my belt.

MUCH better, and safer than my 1911 was. And revolvers are more reliable, IMHO.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:07 PM

I am also a big guy. Carried it a couple of times. Gets uncomfortable quick. Pretty worthless in my opinion if you actually had to use it. By the time I got it out of the holster bad guy would have already one uped me and be halfway across town. I agree with irehog... owb, carry a glock, they are idiot proof. And practice, practice, practice. Drawing from a holster in a smooth fluent motion takes some practice to be good... jmo
Old 07-28-2011, 09:35 PM
<b>Premium Member</b>

Too tell you the truth, I've only worn the shoulder holster 3 times, and after about an hour or two they get a bit uncomfortable number one; Number two, if you want to take your jacket off for some reason, you are screwed. So I really only use it at home and thats about it. My G30 I keep in my nightstand, and it has my glock light/laser on its rail right now. That's the only reason I never thought about carrying it. Also it still seems kinda bulky, I mean yes the G21 is TOO big, that one stays at home most of the time or goes to the range. I thought a 9mm would be enough stopping power if I needed it, I figure most people will see that you're serious and won't mess with you. Most of the time I wouldn't have a problem i'm 6'7" and 300lbs, so most people don't even think about it. But I have come across a couple of nuts while working, and have even been blocked in peoples driveways before, when I didn't have a permit, so, I just need something. I look into those MTAC holsters and try it out with my G30 to see how that fits. Its a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a new gun, thats for sure.

Thanks for the help guys.

James.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:18 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Glock 17 and a Glock 37 here.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:46 AM

I used to carry my my Springfield xDM 40. Nice gun med weight, great stopping power in a inner belt holster. But it seemed to catch on my KR seats@@@@@. So now I carry a blue steel,hammer less S&W . 38 sp. With a custom made holster that sits above my 14" redwings. I wish I could get them to make a set out of KR leather ha.ha.ha

My wife carries the lady smith 9mm. She always complains how it doesn't go with her purse!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 07-29-2011, 04:50 AM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Taurus raging bull in 454 casull. Polished stainless with a 10" barrel and a 4x scope. Wear it in a dirty harry hip holster-lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.