Do *YOU* check your ammo??????? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
SHOOTING SPORTS Shooting Sports Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2010, 09:57 PM
Cynic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Do *YOU* check your ammo???????

It's getting to be that time of year...

I buy as much ammo as I can when I can match lot numbers. Theory states that the rounds should fire the same. If I have 60-100rnds from the same batch, I'll sight that rifle in with those rounds and I'll be set for quite a while. I will also sight the rifle in with a certain grain bullet and if I need a lighter\heavier round, I'll just get an idea of where those shots are placed. As a general rule... I'm in love with most .22 to .27 calibers. I have .22 (of course), but I'm talking about .223, .22-250, .243, .250-3000 (.250 savage), .250 Ackley, .257 Roberts, .25-06, and .270. There isn't much these calibers won't take down with proper shot placement.

Now, for the reason of this post:

Getting out some .25-06 rounds this evening to take to the range as soon as I can, I opened a brand new box of (brand name here) and found a .270 case. Now, I completely understand that the .25-06 was basically a wildcat round for many years, and is basically a necked down and cut .30-06. The .270 is the same way. But seeing a round labeled as ".270" in a ".25-06" brand new box, is a bit odd. I got the calipers out and the round in question matches all the other .25-06 rounds. Just says ".270"

Here are a bit of pics. Clicky for LARGE pics..

.250-3000 (.250 savage) 100gr and 75gr

.25-06, 100gr

Same rounds, one says .270

.270 (130gr), .25-06 (2) .250-3000 (last 2)

Last edited by Dirk; 09-25-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2010, 10:01 PM
'Merica

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yes i do, now atleast. For the same reason. Missed a *very* good shot last year due to mis-labeling...Luckily, nothing bad happened due to my over confidence in my ammo.

And now that i think about that moment in time, Im still upset about it.

edit: in red
Old 09-25-2010, 08:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

And that's why I reload. I trust myself far more than I trust the factory.

Well its one of the reasons I reload anyway.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:05 PM

WOW, that is weird
Old 09-25-2010, 04:39 PM

I didnt check any of my rounds until my military surplus 7.62x54r rounds blew of the side of the casing. im glad the mosin is a strong rifle, or my face could have been blown to bits.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:56 PM
Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieWeinerDog View Post
I didnt check any of my rounds until my military surplus 7.62x54r rounds blew of the side of the casing. im glad the mosin is a strong rifle, or my face could have been blown to bits.
I have a love\hate relationship with the Mosin–Nagant. Actually, I just love to hate it. I prefer the Mauser 96 or 98. I also like the Arisaka Type 99 Rifle, but considering it came out 30+ years after the others, I can't really put it in the same group as the others.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:59 PM

i would trade mine for a mauser, i have a 91/30 that i got at a sporting goods store for 90 bucks, i was lucky and got one with most of the parts matching and the smoothest action ive ever felt. i have done a few modifications on my own to it. i refinished the furniture, it looks amazing now, i love to shoot the thing.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:08 PM
Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieWeinerDog View Post
i would trade mine for a mauser, i have a 91/30 that i got at a sporting goods store for 90 bucks, i was lucky and got one with most of the parts matching and the smoothest action ive ever felt. i have done a few modifications on my own to it. i refinished the furniture, it looks amazing now, i love to shoot the thing.
If it is parts matching, I'd keep it. I've owned a few Arisaka's and Mauser's. I kept selling/trading them off until I found a few that were unmolested over the years and worked perfectly. I've also had the same issue with some 1903's. The last 1903 I bought at an estate sale. It looked brand new except for some minor surface rust\pitting, and even the action felt brand new. Once I got it to the range, the rifle was perfect.

I sold the others.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:52 PM
Powerstroke Junkie

This is just one of the many reasons why I reload. That sort of thing should never happen in a modern ammunition plant. The last 10 years or so we have seen thousands of new companies starting up to make their fortune in the ammunition market. So if I do by ammo it is from a known manufacturer. The same thing with the AR.15 platform. The shortages we saw a few years back caused hundred of small machine shops to change their product over to the ar platform. Now that supply and demand of leveled out many of these places are now out of business. But I have seen some very scary things come out of these small machine shops. About the only rounds I pay for now is bulk 22 lonr rifle and suplus 7.62 or 5.56. I reload for the 223 but sometimes I can buy surplus mil rounds cheaper than I can reload them, especially when all the components went through the roof. Glad that is coming back down now. I never thought I would pay 50 per k of small rifle primers, but that is exactly what I was paying at the height of the shortage.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:12 PM
Cynic

I bought some surplus 7.62's (x39). They don't shoot worth a damn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.