Bought an AK-47 today - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
SHOOTING SPORTS Shooting Sports Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2010, 01:03 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bought an AK-47 today

It's a Romanian WASR 10 AK-47 clone modified to accept 30 round magazines. Imported by Century Arms. Bought it new only $370 .

It has to be one of the ugliest guns I've ever handled new. The wood sucks. The top part of the hand guard isn't even finished....it's just been sanded down. Also the rifle has an odd smell to it....I'm guessing it's the smell of an underpaid Romanian worker. It's covered in packing grease....at least that's what i hope it is. Also the inside of the receiver has some slight rusting in it.....can't expect much from a $370 AK-47 i guess.

Came with two 30rd mags, a cleaning kit that slides into the stock, bayonet, bayonet cover, oil can, mag pouch, and a lingering odor.

Taking it to the range tomorrow. I'll report back how it did

Just hope it doesn't blow up on me

She's an ugly one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2010, 01:05 PM
Too cool for school

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to taylorking Send a message via Yahoo to taylorking
Lol it would look better without that foregrip on it
Old 09-17-2010, 01:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorking View Post
Lol it would look better without that foregrip on it
X2 Looks like fun though
Old 09-17-2010, 01:51 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That packing grease is disgusting, once you get it all cleaned off soak it well in CLP or some type of gun oil/Lube. It may be ugly but a very dependable weapon. Fun to play with at the range/ranch. Not a bad buy.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:00 PM
Emergency Services

Yah eventually I'll get around to getting a matching wooden hand guard on the bottom, maybe sand all the wood parts down and stain it

I didn't realize how miniature these guns were till i held mine. Maybe people in the eastern block are just smaller than us . I'm 6' 4" and this thing is awkward as heck to hold. Needs a much longer stock.

All in all it's a well made rifle though. Both mags are the cheap steel surplus ones and neither rattle in the mag well. Safety is waaaaaaaayyy too stiff, feel like I need a hammer to activate it. Besides that i think it's gonna do great as a plinker and occasional truck gun.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:03 PM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftkr View Post
That packing grease is disgusting, once you get it all cleaned off soak it well in CLP or some type of gun oil/Lube. It may be ugly but a very dependable weapon. Fun to play with at the range/ranch. Not a bad buy.
Basically coat the insides with a ton gun oil? I plan on cleaning it tomorrow after the range. Also what's the best way to get this grease off the paint and wood without scratching it even worse?
Old 09-17-2010, 02:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The smell and the "packing grease" you say is called cosmoline! It is a protective that is put on weapons that are to be stored in arsenal for an unknown time. If there is rust anywhere, somebody removed it by accident or whatever. The wood will bleed the cosmoline for a couple of weeks unless you choose to remove all wood and go aftermarket furniture. I found that in doing so it turned my 1947 pattern rifle into an updated modern weapon. A good way to get all the cosmo out of the small places to sacrifice a toothbrush and use solvent Hoppes 9, and brush the entire rifle using generous amounts of solvent. It will clear away the grease and dry the surface of the metal so you can use a comercial type gun oil.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:22 PM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigg_guns78 View Post
The smell and the "packing grease" you say is called cosmoline! It is a protective that is put on weapons that are to be stored in arsenal for an unknown time. If there is rust anywhere, somebody removed it by accident or whatever. The wood will bleed the cosmoline for a couple of weeks unless you choose to remove all wood and go aftermarket furniture. I found that in doing so it turned my 1947 pattern rifle into an updated modern weapon. A good way to get all the cosmo out of the small places to sacrifice a toothbrush and use solvent Hoppes 9, and brush the entire rifle using generous amounts of solvent. It will clear away the grease and dry the surface of the metal so you can use a comercial type gun oil.
Good to know about the cosmoline. Yes the inside of the receiver has some minor rusting. Annoying but i wasn't expecting much when i bought this rifle anyways. Thanks for the tip on how to remove the stuff . Will do tomorrow
Old 09-17-2010, 02:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Glad to help, I own one myself and have many years experience working with military weapons so if you would like to know anyways to fiddle with your rifle so as to change the apperance, mod stocks grips or add accessories please let me know and we'll swap stories. They are fun to work on and even more fun to shoot. Take care
Old 09-17-2010, 02:32 PM
riddin' high

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Dasaliac03 Send a message via Skype™ to Dasaliac03
very cool! great price

i recently bought a ruger mini m14 for my dad
it came with a 30 round clip but to shoot it legallly i cant have more than i think a 10 round....weird ha id like to find a nice ak just to have
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.