are there any gunsmiths on the org? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
SHOOTING SPORTS Shooting Sports Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2010, 07:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
are there any gunsmiths on the org?

Im planning on getting my degree on penn foster online college, I was wondering if there were any gunsmiths or anyone that can tell me if it is a accredited school to people. They do say they are on they're website but anyone can say it, I was just wondering if its true any help would be greatly appreciated as Im planning on enrolling in the next couple days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2010, 04:41 PM
shaking things up

imo if you want to do that go to a school where you can get hands on experience you are playing with peoples lives i would not want my doctor who is gonna cut me open to have an online degree if he or you do something a lil wrong you can kill someone very easily just my .02
Old 04-08-2010, 05:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

well i know alot about firearms but i need a degree. i can get a apprentace ship with a pro gunsmith out here i just need papers to do anything. Besides most gunsmiths out here test the weapons they've worked on before they even call the client and tell them its ready. plus any schooling programs arent really hands-on anymore... its all bookwork and practice. it teaches you how the small parts of a rifle work. plus any weapon i get i have a manual and the gunsmith ill work with has books and dvd's and comp. programs and everything to do anything with a weapon.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:25 PM
shaking things up

ah ok so you would do the online thing then apprentice with a practicing gun smith? if so i would say you are fine. they cant claim to be accredited without actually being accredited without getting serious legal repercussions
Old 04-08-2010, 05:44 PM
Raging Lunatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro View Post
ah ok so you would do the online thing then apprentice with a practicing gun smith? if so i would say you are fine. they cant claim to be accredited without actually being accredited without getting serious legal repercussions
I would disagree with this. There have been many that aren't accredited, but claim to be. It's not until they have your money and they get popped that you find out and that paper on the wall is, well worthless.

I'm not saying your wrong Jethro, I'm saying to be damn sure before giving up your hard earned money. JMHO.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:51 PM
shaking things up

true they could lie but if they get caught they will face alot of problems there are alot of ppl out there looking for that kind of stuff. it takes alot to get accredited and the schools that are do not take it lightly
Old 04-21-2010, 06:26 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

I would be very leary of these online places. I would call a place like Kings gun works in Glendale CA. They are very, very well known for their 45acp work and ask their smith if this is a real school.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:34 AM
Serving Our Country!

One company that I would ask is Brownells, in their tech department. There is also a National association of gunsmiths, that you can contact threw Brownells.

Gunsmithing is like being a Auto/Truck Tech, there are many ways to get into it. I don't think a online program for a truck tech would be very good same reason for online GS program. Same sort of deal, hands on is important. Also Most gunsmiths, specialize, there are millions of different types and variants of firearms out there.

Other part, is some people should never pick up a screwdriver. Online programs may not be able to sort those people out.

I would get a college degree in something else. If you work for a sporting good store, ask them to help you. There are factory courses that they can send you too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.