Hunters Are Environmentalists Too. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
SHOOTING SPORTS Shooting Sports Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2010, 08:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hunters Are Environmentalists Too.

Thought i would post my research paper from my college English class.
(Every time it says: Hunters (Number), It is a different page)

Hunters Are Environmentalists Too

Since the beginning of time, we have hunted for food. Hunting was used only for food and was necessary for survival. Today, hunting has changed. Hunting is not only about food, but it is also about preserving the environment. Many people oppose hunting because they feel that by preserving wildlife, it will increase. But they are greatly mistaken. If an overabundance of wildlife is created, nature will take over, often in a cruel way. Opposite of the notion that hunting only does negative things to animals and the environment could not be more wrong. Over the timeline of the human race, hunting has transformed from uncontrolled slaughter to the largest environmental group in the world. One might still ask, how is this possible, with groups like Greenpeace? Whether they know it or not, all hunters make up the largest group. Hunters conserve the environment directly by controlling population, and indirectly by raising money through taxes and license fees, and through hunting groups like Ducks Unlimited and The National Wild Turkey Federation.
Hunters conserve the environment directly by controlling population. In the early days of hunting, it was uncontrolled. Species like the buffalo and whitetail deer where hunted to near extinction. This was because there were no guidelines, people hunted all they wanted, often taking only the hides to sell. Things have changed very much since then. There are strict rules and guidelines informing what is right and wrong, legal and illegal. And the animal population is helped greatly. By hunting animals, they are saved. This seems wrong, but yet it is not. For example, “If

Hunters 3

left alone, a white-tailed deer herd can double in size in only two years, quickly deplete all available food supplies and face certain massive die-offs. ” When a species of animals is left alone, they will grow uncontrollably and then die off" (NSSF, 2006). Many species have been directly helped by hunters. For example, the population of wild turkeys has increased from 100,000 in 1952 to over 5.6 million today. More recently, wolves have made a massive comeback. Wolves were all but extinct a few years ago, but thanks to careful hunting practices by a small group of people, the recent wolf population has exploded. “Numerous studies prove that if you want to ensure s species survival, allow it to be hunted” (Lessard, 2008). This type of conservation is science based. The fact of the matter is, hunting has proved to be one of the most useful assets animals have.
While Hunters directly help the environment, they also help it indirectly. Through taxes and license fees, hunters bring in a great deal of money. According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, License fees are the largest portion of the sportsman's contributions to the environment, totaling more than 1. 1 billion dollars each year (NSSF, 2006). The fact of the matter is, hunter contribute more time and money than any other conservation group in the world. But what does that money go towards? It goes towards many things including conservation programs, like the one that brought the wolves back. It also is used for research and development, and studies. Almost all of the 50 states have used funds to obtain a collective total of around four million acres for wildlife refuges, wetlands, and public hunting grounds (NSSF, 2006). These taxes are gathered from things like hunting licenses, but can also come from hunting and fishing goods bought at stores. “The purchase of hunting and sporting equipment brings 560 million dollars each year to state wildlife and fishery

Hunters 4

projects” (NSSF, 2006). One big part of this money is from Duck stamps, which are separate from regular taxes. The taxes are only used to buy wetlands for waterfowl. This land not only supports game animals like ducks and geese, but it also supports animals not hunted. The amount of money each year is steadily increasing, and the environment benefits more each day because of hunters.

While taxes play a large part in the conservation efforts, pro hunting organizations also play a major role. One major conservation group of today is Ducks Unlimited. Ducks Unlimited is dedicated to preserving waterfowl, and their habitats. This group is a hunter based group and has exploded in membership recently. Ducks Unlimited raises money by membership fees, hosting banquets ,and fundraisers to obtain money for the environment and waterfowl. Ducks Unlimited has many ways it conserves and creates new wetlands. Restoring the grasslands is a major thing done by Ducks Unlimited. Grasslands play a major part in many types of wildlife including waterfowl. Due to the recent deforestation of the Mississippi river valley, Ducks unlimited has reforested more than 178,000 acres of that land to give home to waterfowl and wildlife of all kind (Ducks, 1). Ducks Unlimited also Works with landowners. Because nearly ¾ of Americas remaining wetlands are on private land, it is important to get them involved. “Ducks Unlimited works with farmers, ranchers and other landowners to improve the agricultural and recreational value of their land, making it more wildlife-friendly” (Ducks, 2010). Organizations like Ducks Unlimited are sciences based; they are committed to discovering and developing useful and reliable information in support of the environment. Pro-hunter organizations make up a large part of the conservation effort in the world.

Hunters 5

Overall, Hunters help the environment directly, and indirectly. They help it directly by controlling the population, and by careful hunting practices, can actually make some populations grow. This science based conservation has been proved time and time again with species like the wild turkey, white-tail deer, and the wolf. Hunters can also help the environment indirectly. By paying taxes on hunting and fishing goods and paying license fees, hunters pay more to the environment than any other group in the world. When a hunting or fishing item is purchased, part of the taxes on it go towards conservation efforts. It is the same with licenses, when one is purchased, the money goes towards conservation efforts. This money totals in the billions and helps the environment more than anything in the world. Many people see hunting as unnecessary, and think it only hurts the environment, but they are very wrong. Without hunters, a countless number of species would be endangered or even extinct. The fact of the matter is hunting helps the environment and animals.

There were a few Anti hunters in my class, I rid them of their ignorance and showed them the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2010, 08:37 PM
Raging Lunatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieWeinerDog View Post

There were a few Anti hunters in my class, I rid them of their ignorance and showed them the truth.
Did they actually learn the truth or did they just nod their heads in agreement?

Good paper, BTW.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

dont know if i really convinced them, but still, I am happy with it.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:08 PM

Good for you!

I have asked many environmentalists how much money and time they give environmental projects in a year, that always shuts them up.

I break it down simply for them.

All money received by our Ministry of Natural Resources for conservation and environmental matters it does comes from putting aside the entire license fees from hunting and fishing licenses.

Resident’s licence tag to hunt moose.......................... $45.50
Resident’s licence tag to hunt deer............................. $38.75
Resident’s additional game seal to hunt deer................. $38.75
Resident’s licence tag to hunt black bear..................... $38.75
Outdoors Card (w/ Small game & Fishing) .................... $142.50 per 3 years.

Plus about 200 dollars to various conservation groups a year. Comes to around 410$ a year of my income that goes to conservation.

Nevermind the fact that all winter I am dumping along with my family corn and other edibles for the deer so they don't starve AFTER hunting season ends.

Funny how that argument always ends there.

Dimitri
Old 03-24-2010, 07:23 PM
shaking things up

good read
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.