S&B Intake Review - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
S&B Filters S&B Filters

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
S&B Intake Review

So as promised this is my review on the S&B Air intake system that I received to review and test. A little history on the test vehicle for those that do not know. My truck is a 2008 Ford F-450 Superduty with the 6.4L Powerstroke Diesel. My truck is bone stock in the performance department with the exception of this air filter system. I am running the factory exhaust and tuning with no deletes of any kind. I use my truck as a daily driver in town mostly with but it gets over the road exercise every week with towing now and again. I live in Lawton OK and though the temperature was in the 80’s a few months when I got the system it is now hitting the 110 degree mark on a daily basis.

Install: This was so easy to install that I am confident any person with a basic set of tools could easily install this in the drive way. The instructions that were provided were very clear and precise but ultimately not needed. You can easily see where everything goes and how to put it together.

Performance: On a stock truck gives a great base for which to test a system against. I honestly have not noticed an increase in fuel economy. However without the tuning to back the additional air flow up it was not expected so I in no way will hold that against S&B. With the rubber plug installed in the side of the box the airflow was more than enough for my application. However with the plug removed I was treated to a nice surprise. The exhaust note of “stock” exhaust was actually deeper and a bit louder which I really enjoyed. You can actually hear the turbo’s although there is no increase in turbo whistle. In my personal opinion this has made the truck more enjoyable to drive as I love the way that it sounds and I find myself getting in to the throttle more just to hear the truck. The throttle response seems to be the slightest bit crisper but that may just be my imagination although its hard to know. I really would have liked to have a dyno before and after to compare but as there are no dyno’s anywhere near me that was out of the question. Lastly I am happy to report that the intake did not throw any codes or activate the CEL which made me happy. I was told that this is a common problem with some aftermarket intakes but I never had an issue.
My test included about 3500 miles. It would have been more but I spent a lot of time out of town so I was not able to do as much driving as normal.

Altogether I fully recommend the S&B intake and I am very happy with my results. This has been a great experience and I am grateful to the people at S&B for affording me the opportunity to test it out. If you are in the market for an intake, give S&B a consideration.
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.