S&B intake install - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
S&B Filters S&B Filters

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 04:16 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
S&B intake install

This is the install of S&B's new updated Air Intake system for the 2008-2010 Ford 6.4 Powerstrokes. As some know I am doing a test for them on the Blue OX and as part of my test I am posting an install with my my opinions.

So on with it then. Obviously the first step is too remove the factory intake. Start by removing the filter-minder. Be sure to keep the rubber grommet that it plugs in too as a new one is not supplied.

Unplug the Mass Air Sensor at this time and undo the large hose clamp behind it.

Pull up hard on the air box and it will pop out of place. No hidden bolts at all.

Unscrew the hose clamp attaching the intake piping to the turbo inlet and on do you CCV hose and remove pipe

Remove the mass air sensor and the filter minder grommet from the factory air box. You will need a hallow 6 pointed bit (size escapes me) to remove the sensor. Unfortunately one is not supplied to remove them.

A new gasket, screws and tool are supplied to mount the sensor in the S&B pipe

Install the bottom half of the new S&B box in the space left by your old box.

Make sure it is aligned with the air inlet in the bottom and is seated in the mounting grommets.

Locate the new S&B turbo inlet to pipe adapter boot and respected hose clamps

Take the adapter boot and new section of pipe and loosely assemble. Do not tighten anything yet.

At this point you need to reattach your CCV line or commit to the CCV mod as I have done. That is another subject though.

Reinstall the filter minder grommet in the new S&B piece.

Take your filter and fit it to the S&B upper box piece.

If you have a filter cover install it now also.

Locate the S&B coupling boot and respective hose clamps and install on the upper box piece.

Attach to the pipe running to the turbo.

Set the upper box piece on top of the lower box piece and reconnect the sensor and filter minder wires.

Locate this rubber piece

And install in the side of the box.

Peal the protective paper off of the clear box cover and use the supplied hardware to attach to the box.

At this time go back and make sure to tighten everything up and make sure everything is properly fitted. Then take a step back and admire.

Overall I feel that this is a very well designed and built product and the install was very easy. Anyone can do this and I feel that that in itself is a great selling point. With the exception of not having a driver bit for the Mass Air Sensor screws I feel that this an extremely complete and well thought out kit. Thus far I am very happy with it. I will update every one on my driving experience with it in the coming weeks.
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2012, 06:30 PM
The Silent Service

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thorough review here, Ryan.

I look forward to seeing your results, the big girl is still under factory programming, right?
Old 06-13-2012, 03:23 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Yes its still all factory. I waiting for someone to send me a tuner and exhaust to test out.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:49 AM

Ryan your Truck looks Amazing. I have a new to me 08 F450 and I was wondering what you did with your caps on front and hear. those look great. thanks ahead of time
Old 06-15-2012, 05:41 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Caps? WHICH CAPS?
Old 11-04-2012, 06:55 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I bought a used s&b intake for the 6.4 and my intake has a flange the bumps out by the battery where yours is flat. Also I do not have A rubber piece to cover up that opening by the battery like you do. Do I just have an older style or something? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:09 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Yes you have the older one. This one is the updated version of yours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.