35W and 55W difference? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Retro-Solutions

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-08-2011, 08:21 PM
Once you go black......

 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,517
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to CanadianDiesel
35W and 55W difference?

Been wanting to get a 55W HID kit, but don't they draw more juice and possibly melt wiring? That's what I had heard awhile back...but is that BS?
Thanks

-Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 06-21-2011, 02:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 728
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianDiesel View Post
Been wanting to get a 55W HID kit, but don't they draw more juice and possibly melt wiring? That's what I had heard awhile back...but is that BS?
Thanks

-Matt
They do draw more power yes, but they will not melt the wiring. For one, even IF hooked up to the vehicle's factory wiring, there are fuses to prevent such an issue, and additionally such a power draw would be way outside the ballasts safety controls.
Being that they are Bixenon kits for your truck, it comes with a full relayed wiring harness to power the ballasts and control low/high function. The power is relayed directly off the battery and therefor bypasses the vehicle's wiring. The load on the vehicle wiring is just enough to control the relay, a mere fraction what the stock halogen bulbs are pulling through it right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 12-05-2011, 02:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 288
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Hey Todd, i purchased the 35 watt 9145 hid kit along with 9145 relay wiring harness Hid & retro fit. I was under the impression that with this harness, i could just plug into the stock wiring harness and that would be it. Thought that i could pull power from the stock harness. The power wire is way to short to reach either battery as well the wires to the ballasts from the fog lights. It does not even come close to reaching. Have you come across this problem before? If not were is everyone hooking the power wire to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 12-05-2011, 02:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 379
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have a cheap 55 watt kit hooked up with just the harness included to my factory harness, my kit came with a fused power wire to power the ballasts, the light harness is only used for a signal. Been running this way for over a year without any issues. I say go for it!! you'll be happy you did, or you could just always wonder what its like to have 55's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 12-06-2011, 10:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 728
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by topncc View Post
Hey Todd, i purchased the 35 watt 9145 hid kit along with 9145 relay wiring harness Hid & retro fit. I was under the impression that with this harness, i could just plug into the stock wiring harness and that would be it. Thought that i could pull power from the stock harness. The power wire is way to short to reach either battery as well the wires to the ballasts from the fog lights. It does not even come close to reaching. Have you come across this problem before? If not were is everyone hooking the power wire to?
You can hook up the kit plug and play to the factory wiring, however the problem is in many cases that the fog wiring circuit is only fused to 10A. That's not even adequate for the stock bulbs, and and the 10A fuse itself can create a restriction.
But, we know what the problem is with the wiring though, you have the fogs in the middle of the bumper, right? We can make a harness to fit that accordingly, as the wiring lengths are atypical for the application. Just shoot us an EMAIL and we'll get you taken care of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boschert_72 View Post
I have a cheap 55 watt kit hooked up with just the harness included to my factory harness, my kit came with a fused power wire to power the ballasts, the light harness is only used for a signal. Been running this way for over a year without any issues. I say go for it!! you'll be happy you did, or you could just always wonder what its like to have 55's
That is the same type of wiring setup he has there, its just his fog are not in the usual location as all other vehicles, so the wiring is too long in some spots and too short in others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors