Ford to Add EcoBoost Turbo Engines to F-150, Explorer, and Flex by the end of 2010 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.ORG News News related to Ford Diesels as well as site news. Only Administrators may create new threads in this section.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ford to Add EcoBoost Turbo Engines to F-150, Explorer, and Flex by the end of 2010

If you were wondering which U.S. automaker was making the biggest strides toward next-generation powertrain technology, wonder no more.

In a bold move, if you'll excuse the reference, Ford will be introducing turbocharged engines on some of its largest and smallest vehicles by the end of 2010. Here's our run down of the increasingly prolific application of EcoBoost motors in the Ford lineup:
  • Ford C-Max: 1.6-liter four-cylinder EcoBoost (2010 availability, Europe)
  • Ford Explorer: 2.0-litre four-cylinder EcoBoost (2010 availability, North America, preview)
  • Ford Edge: 2.0-liter four-cylinder EcoBoost (2010 availability, North America, preview)
  • Ford Flex: 3.5-liter six-cylinder EcoBoost (on-sale now, review)
  • Ford Taurus SHO: 3.5-liter six-cylinder EcoBoost (on-sale now, review)
  • Lincoln MKS: 3.5-liter six-cylinder EcoBoost (on-sale now)
  • Lincoln MKT: 3.5-liter six-cylinder EcoBoost (on-sale now, review)
  • Ford F-150: 3.5-liter six-cylinder EcoBoost (2010 availability, North America)

Ford says they plan on having EcoBoost engines in 90 per cent of the company's North American models. By 2013, the company will be producing 1.5 million such engines per year. That means you should expect to see the engine pop up in nearly everything, from the Fiesta to the Mustang. Dan Kapp, Ford's director of powertrain research and advanced engineering says that they're tuning EcoBoost to deliver better efficiency in future models.

"We are trying to get in front of the pack in leveraging EcoBoost for fuel economy," Kapp said. "It's going to be a trend in the industry, and we can't rest on our laurels for one minute. We are going to keep wringing more efficiency out of EcoBoost."

Other than EcoBoost, Ford has some exciting technologies on the horizon, including a fully electric version of the Focus, the promise to have 98 per cent of its North American models fitted with six-speed transmissions, and to have 20 per cent of its vehicles worldwide fitted with stop/start systems by 2014. Those systems, which turn off the engine at a stop light (just like a hybrid), can contribute to a five per cent reduction in fuel consumption and emissions.

More: Report: Lexus, Infiniti Steering Clear of Big Hatchbacks on AutoGuide.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2010, 02:04 PM

Sounds like a good start for Ford and a good way to stay above the rest. I would still like to see a smaller diesel option (4cyl) for the F150, maybe explorer and even ranger. Those are TBD and hear they are not far away..
Old 04-12-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97F350Diesel View Post
Sounds like a good start for Ford and a good way to stay above the rest. I would still like to see a smaller diesel option (4cyl) for the F150, maybe explorer and even ranger. Those are TBD and hear they are not far away..
I thought I read on here not to long ago that the Ranger is going away and customers will have to go with the F150...
Old 04-12-2010, 03:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to thesmokinstroke02
i thought i read the same thing about the ranger. in all reality theyre city trucks IMO. they get about the same mileage as a f150 if you want any power with it theyre just tiny.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:08 PM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesmokinstroke02 View Post
i thought i read the same thing about the ranger. in all reality theyre city trucks IMO. they get about the same mileage as a f150 if you want any power with it theyre just tiny.
You read right. Ford is scrapping it pretty soon here. Sorry don't have the source but i know i read it on here. Still wish they would have made one with a nice 4 banger diesel engine like they sell in Europe. Thing gets 30 mpg's.

Sucks 'cause IMO that's the only true small size pickup left. The newer Tacoma's and Frontier's are coming up on F150 size these days. Ranger and Mazda B-Series were all that's left in that segment.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:30 PM

Yeah that' s dissappointing, most folks like the small pick up option and I think doing away with it will kill that market and that leave the GM and Dodge boyz open for business, hell even the Honda Ridgeline will get a little more from the PT truck drivers who need that small truck!
Old 04-18-2010, 04:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

RANGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter04 View Post
You read right. Ford is scrapping it pretty soon here. Sorry don't have the source but i know i read it on here. Still wish they would have made one with a nice 4 banger diesel engine like they sell in Europe. Thing gets 30 mpg's.

Sucks 'cause IMO that's the only true small size pickup left. The newer Tacoma's and Frontier's are coming up on F150 size these days. Ranger and Mazda B-Series were all that's left in that segment.
RANGER IS GOING TO GONE SOON BUT THEY ARE LOOKING AT A DEFFRENT TRUCK THAT THERE BUILDING FOR SOME OTHER COUNTRY THAT IS A UNEBODY FRAME ??
Old 04-26-2010, 10:49 PM

Im out in Afghanistan right now and all of the ANA drive around in 4 door diesel Rangers, there nice little trucks i wish the states had em
Old 05-30-2010, 02:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you for your service.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:55 PM
Banned

for all those wanting a diesel in a 1/2 ton dodge is planning on putting a 5.0 cummins in the 1500 somewhere around 300hp and 600ftlbs..

all of those ford cars sound nice i just dont expect them to get good mpg.. ive found the larger the engine the better (less work for it to move the car) a tiny lil engine in the f150 cant be good for towing or for mpg maybe a turboed 5.4? or 6.---?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.