Report: Ford F-150 to Fill Ranger's Shoes, But New Global Ranger Still Possible - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.ORG News News related to Ford Diesels as well as site news. Only Administrators may create new threads in this section.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2010, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Report: Ford F-150 to Fill Ranger's Shoes, But New Global Ranger Still Possible

Production of the Ranger pickup truck will end next year, with Ford hoping buyers will move up to the F-150. If demand is sufficient, however, Ford might also look to introduce its upcoming global midsize truck platform (the new Ranger) to the U.S.

In an interview with PickupTrucks.com, Ford product boss Derrick Kuzak confirmed the Ranger was to be eliminated after an incredibly long production run, which has stretched over a decade. With most owners using their Rangers for commuter duty, Ford thinks the move to an F-150 won't be difficult. After all, the current 2.3-liter 4-cylinder Ranger gets 19/24 mpg, which is likely worse than what an F-150 equipped with Ford's new 3.7-liter V6 would get. While the use of the 3.7 in the F-150 is still unconfirmed, in the Mustang it gets an impressive 30 mpg.

According to Kuzak,the biggest issue with bringing over the new Ranger to the U.S. is how it would fit into the North American marketplace. "It's no secret we have a new Ranger coming globally. We're working on one for all the other markets in the world," said Kuzak to PickupTrucks.com. "The difference is that all o those other markets only have a Ranger. They don't have an F-150 above it."

In other words, Ford would not want to cannibalize sales of the top-selling F-150.

The Ford Ranger continues to be the second best selling compact pickup in the U.S., with 55,600 units moved last year. The Ranger is, however, a distant second to the Toyota Tacoma at 111,824 units.

More: Report: Ford F-150 to Fill Ranger's Shoes, But New Global Ranger Still Possible for North America on AutoGuide.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2010, 06:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I know they really don't care about the fleet market but the company I'm retired from runs small pickups for delivery. (Around 2000 vehicles) At one time they tried to buy a mix of brands, but the S10's were junk comparatively and the Dakota got too expensive on initial purchase. In their usage the Rangers have been bullet proof. When I retired in '06 my store's delivery pickup was a ranger with over 220,000 miles on the 4cyl manual and we had not replaced anything except tires and the clutch. The clutch was because we had a 20 year old that couldn't drive a standard, and when he learned, all he could do with it was leave the customer's lot sideways with both back tire burning.
Anyway, I don't think as long as there is a small truck available that you will get some companies and individuals to go with a larger pickup. I have several friends that own one and they would feel the same way about being forced to upgrade. I personally wouldn't own one if for no other reason than they're too small and I'm too big.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad@gojade.org View Post
I have an 08 f250. If I try to shift it to 4 high on the fly it will NOT engage. NEVER. If I stop and back up it will then go right in. Once it engages once then it will go in and out of 4 wheel for about an hour no problem. I have taken it to the dealer twice. They have changed an "engagement selanoid" and that still has not fixed it. Anyone have an advise? Similar problem? Thanks in advanced guys.
might want to post this in the 6.4 help secrtion here: 6.4L Problems Forum - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.