Report: Ford F-150 to Come Standard With 3.7-Liter V6 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.ORG News News related to Ford Diesels as well as site news. Only Administrators may create new threads in this section.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2010, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Report: Ford F-150 to Come Standard With 3.7-Liter V6

Ford is set to completely revamp its truck lineup with new fuel-efficient engines, offering not only an optional EcoBoost V6, but also a V6 as the base engine. According to a report by PickupTrucks.com, the Lincoln 3.7-liter V6 that recently made its way into the base Mustang will also come standard in the F-150.

In the Mustang, the V6 engine makes 305-hp and 280 ft-lbs of torque, plenty more horsepower and only slightly less torque than the current base 4.6-liter V8 with 248-hp and 294 ft-lbs. And with a few minor tweaks, Ford could easily tone down the power and up the torque a few ticks.

The new 3.7-liter V6 is likely to be offered in XL and STX models, although it may also be offered in XLT trim. While not a cheap engine to produce with its high-tech twin variable valve timing, Ford's continued use of this engine in more and more models will certainly help reduce production costs across the board.

In addition, this new engine would vastly improve the F-150's fuel economy, as the new engine makes as much as 30-mpg highway in the Mustang.

Ford stopped offering a V6 in the F-150 in 2009, but now its set to return by 2012.

More: Report: Ford F-150 to Come Standard With 3.7-Liter V6 on AutoGuide.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2010, 02:12 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
or they can put a diesel in and and get the same mpgs or more.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Kinda lame I think. It builds good power but a V6? How will it hold up to the work that is demanded from a hard working fleet 1/2 ton? Sure a sharp looking pickup tho.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:06 PM

it may get good mileage in a car... but did they ever realize that that motor is made for a car, not a truck. in truth it wont get that great a fuel mileage in a truck do to the aerodynamics and weight differences between a car and truck. yeah the v6 may have a lot of torque and horsepower, but its designed for light weigh vehicles and entirely different drivetrain setups. the weight and drivetrain of a truck would eat that power up. maybe im wrong, maybe they found a way for the truck to not eat up all that power out of a v6 and maybe it will be a great idea. but im still impartial to v8's! end of story
Old 01-16-2010, 04:55 PM
Premium Member

i partially agree however with the technology today and the fact that i have never been let down by a 6 cylinder ford before. the 4.9 i6 and the 3.0 and 4.0 v6s were really great motors. it should be interesting to see how well it holds up. i have full confidence in them to make it work
Old 01-16-2010, 04:58 PM

well, i guess we will find out. i do have to agree about the 4.0 and the 4.9 they were great motors, but i myself have had many problems with the 3.0
Old 01-18-2010, 04:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

first 7.3 need advice for upgrades and fixes

I just my first 2003 7.3 and I am looking upgrade performance and fuel economy and also repair a oil coming from the (hpop) advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:46 PM

post up in the 99-03 7.3 section, they will help you out!
Old 01-18-2010, 06:55 PM

I kinda thought the 300 six was a solid platform. I drove one for 300K miles without ever seeing a dealership or installing a fuel pump or pulling the head. But I guess it didn't have variable valve timing. And I could see the oil filter from the top!!

They used to put 300's (4.9L for you metric types) in F350 duallys. Our local LP gas company still runs a 1984 F350 4x4 6cyl dually flatbed to pick up those large home LP tanks. It has an on board A frame crane winch. Its a beast with that 4 speed manual.

My grandpa always had them in his Fords. Good mileage and would do just as much work as any 302 V8. Torquey little buggars. Of course were talking 1/2 ton truck work here. Don't confuse with pulling 19,000 LBS up the mountains.

Isn't it amazing how they take something away like a 6cyl engine...and then come back out with it and all of a sudden its "Hey!! Aren't we great!! Look at what were doing!!!".

Last edited by neil; 01-18-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.