Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Track Mounted 6.7 Powered Industrial Compressor

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  fordsvtparts 
#1 ·
Hi, just wondering if there is anyone out there that has rigged up the 6.7 to run a compressor or generator in an industrial setting. The main reason I am interested in doing this is the Hp/weight ratio and these units would be flown in using a helicopter.

#9 ·
you're up against a mountain here...

Ford's electronic network is very sophisticated. You might be able to find a 6.7 application that doesn't have a SKIM module, but I'm not sure. I know you could get the XL 6.4's without.

Then you have the fact that there was never a 6.7 with a manual transmission, so it's going to be looking for the TCM and the transmission.

just about anything will put you in limp mode on these trucks. Yes, you can custom tune a 6.7 using H&S's MCC program, but you're still fairly limited as to what you can do.

I dare say that you would want/need an aftermarket engine management system. Something like a NIRA based setup. Just the ECM is about $4k. Then you're going to have to build your harness and program the thing yourself. I don't know if they have base tunes you can build off of. You could view an OEM MCC file and try to build something similar.

It's not an insurmountable mountain, but it's still a fairly tall one IMO.

Another thing you have to take into consideration is just how much power you need and how much power that 6.7 would actually be rated for in a steady state/low RPM application. These engines aren't rated to make a ton of power at 1500-1800 RPM.

The chassis cab applications are rated at 300hp, but that's at a fairly high RPM, and even then, they're not rated to just pump out 300hp all day every day.

But I don't know much about your application, so it's hard to say.

I'd feel way more comfortable with a gold standard 12 valve Cummins for pure simplicity's sake and lower RPM strength.

I DO like/love the 6.7 Ford for its innovative packaging layout, light weight, etc. But I think you could get a LOT more reliability and a fraction of the cost with only a ~200lb penalty by going with a mechanical cummins :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.