Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

78 f250 powerstroke build

7K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Joe8mx 
#1 ·
Well guys I got a old 78 f150 that recently the old gas engine took a dump so after studying a while on building a gas engine i stumbled across a 99 f250 at a salvage yard. I really wasnt looking for that truck the time just looking for other parts. So i just asked the owner about the truck and next thing u know i took it home. Took a look at the 99 and it was a 7.3 6 speed 4x4 only problem with was that the transmission had exploded for being run without lube. But anyway the guy priced it to me so cheap I couldnt turn it down. So then a light bulb came on about a 7.3 conversion. Vehicle Subcompact car Machine

Well so far i got a good start on the truck. Swapped out the old stock 9inch and dana 44 for the axles that was on the 7.3. The rear pretty much dropped right in but the front was another story. Had to fabricate a custom lift/mount since the factory frame was to narrow for the new axles. A few late nights later and i had a rolling chassis Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Car
Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Bumper Car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire
When i got the front axle mounted i decided to strap the beast of a 7.3 down and see how it would set. So far it looks like its going to be about level. As right now i got plans to try and use all the 7.3 components in this build including the rear abs system and the 7.3 a/c system. Tried using the factory 7.3 radiator but its way to wide. After a trip to the backyard i came back with a radiator that should work. Radiator came from a 70's international loadstar 1600 and it seems like its a perfect fit. Far as i got now is getting ready to mount the radiator and intercooler so i can get some engine mounts for the 7.3 and zf5. decided to go with a zf5 since its 6 inches shorter that a zf6. This truck is a short bed regular cab. stay tuned for some undates on this massive winter project Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle

See less See more
Reactions: luke7.3
#5 ·
Well my buddy just blew his e40d apart so we had to put the zf5 in his truck. Now I'm saving up to rebuild the zf6 for the 78. Hadn't been able to work on it lately for having to work on every else's things.

#6 ·
Aww, well, keep us posted, this sounds like a sweet setup!!

#8 ·
Did you end up finishing this? It looks sweet!

#9 ·
Finally been able to work on the project a little. So I dumped the zf6 idea because I had all the parts left over from other friends projects that I have put in a e4od trans. So far I got the engine and transmissions mounted and the firewall modified to fit around the exhaust.

#10 ·
Also got the rear driveshaft in and the factory ac housing modified to fit around the engine. Did find some decent used 315/75r16 tires and installed them.

Attachments

#12 ·
The truck is getting closer but still got a ways to go. Almost to the point to start wiring the engine up. If I could just find some time I believe I can finish this build up pretty quickly.

Attachments

Reactions: LoxDiesel
#13 ·
Gonna be sweet, if my 77 stays around long enough i may solid axle it and go the 4x4 route.
If you need any help with the wiring let me know, i wired up mine myself, fairly simple if you understand how it works, and can read diagrams. lots of solder, basically all the harness i cut out and didnt use i reused that wire in places that needed to be longer... I have 2 EVTM's for a 96 f250-350 if you need one, id be willing to sell one.

how and where do plan to mount your PCM and IDM or have you gotten that far?

#18 ·
Ya thats bad ***.. I didnt have a cluster... nor would i have come up with the idea to attempt that... I trimmed out majority of the harness. My 77 7.3 is pretty much done but now im havin some issues, truck it gutless. I installed a pyro and boost gauge. Truck is only building 4 PSI of boost bouncing off the rev limiter. and it dont build anymore driving down the street under load.... has 60+ PSI of fuel pressure at idle... I have the stock 96 under hood fuse box, PCM and IDM mounted under the hood. Should be fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.