Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Rollover resurrection, 2 become 1.

5K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  huskerdually 
#1 ·
Both of my brothers have crew cab 4x4 superdutys with the 6.0 in them. I borrow them from time to time when I need to do some hauling and what not. Always told my wife I needed one of my own, but I just never wanted to spend that kind of money. I was at a customer of mine one day and noticed a superduty out in his line of dead equipment, so I asked about it and he said it needed a new motor. So $500 late and a battery I was driving this one around.

It is a v10 auto 4x4 with 245000 miles on it, the motor knocks and ticks and smokes and leaks but it seems to have plenty of power and runs good.

So I am searching all the different classifieds, craigslists, ebay and facebook for sale sights and come across this one.

From the po's facebook page of the accident

Loaded up for the ride home

I have a receipt for $14,000 for a new engine and turbo due to it sucking dirt in through the intake.

So the plan is to strip the white rollover down to the frame then pull the cab from the orange gas burner and build one truck with the best parts of the two and any new ones that are required.

And if anyone wants to chime in here...

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99...on/843745-does-she-sound-ok.html#post10245353

See less See more
#2 ·
Started tearing down the white rollover. Got the doors, grilles, headlights and front bumper off. Got the interior wires pulled up to the dash. Was hoping to get more done but had to work on the lawn mower also.

Does anyone know what wiring will be different between the gas and diesel? Someone said I would have to swap all the cab wiring but that doesn't make sense to me.

#3 ·
Well got quite a bit done now. Actually think I just need to get the cab bolts out, not sure on the size of them, but I know they are bigger than 18mm. I am sure I will find a wire here and there I missed but I got most of it.

Still have to figure out how I am going to get the cabs lifted high enough to clear the engine.

I did get a picture of the receipt for the engine and stuff in the rollover. I still hope to get the actual paper receipt from him.

I am getting some views but no responses, hopefully someone can answer me what size the cab mount bolts are? I try searching but the key words are to small for the search engine.

#4 · (Edited)
NWS, naked pics

If you wanted to see a white girl all naked here you go...

What were you expecting you pervs?

Pulled the hvac system, I will clean it all up to put in the other cab.

This is kind of a mess. Couldn't really do anything with all that wiring, didn't want to pull the master cylinder and abs thingy(I dazzle you with my knowledge) so it is unbolted from the body and just kind of hanging. Just didn't know what kind of mess to bleed the brakes and get that all working right.

Lot of pieces to get back in.

This wad is all the cab wiring, not counting what is behind the dash.

I have about 40 little bags of bolts, every time I pulled something off the bolts went in a bag and labeled. Marked all the connectors on the wires and took videos and pictures. Hopefully it all goes back together ok.

I have one cab bolt and one core support bolt to get out. They were rusty and giving me a hard time. The bed has a spray in bedliner so I have to get that crap off the bed bolts to get them out.

Also found this, wonder if it had anything to do with it's demise.

#6 ·
Thanks, it kind of has to take a back burner for a bit. The motor in my Son's s10 blew the head gaskets so the v8 swap is underway. I also have no place to really work on it during the winter and the orange one runs and drives so it is a little nicer than the 77 Cherokee I drive when the truck is down. I figure I can use the winter to clean up and customize interior parts. Led bulb swaps and painting dash and door panels.

I have been kicking the idea around of using the chassis and putting an older body on it. I know where there are a couple old International Travelalls sitting. Thought it would be really neat since it would match the engine manufacturer.

#7 ·
DO IT. that would be awesome

Reactions: NYC F-350
#8 ·
One of the main reasons I bought the diesel is for the future plan of having a vintage camper(glamper:doh:) for the wife and I to take around the country after the kids are out of the house.

Something like this

And it would look a lot cooler behind an old truck than a SD.

#9 ·
What you are doing seems gutsy, I have an 7.3 diesel excursion & it fell off the lift & smashed the drivers side, & busted all the glass on that side, smashed the top inm and busted the windshield. I am trying to find out, If I can use an excursion(V10 body, and which years will work, if it will work & what problems I can expect..

#11 ·
I have an old full size jeep Cherokee and have always loved those old style of jeeps. Several guys have built crew cabs out of wagoneers and truck cabs that have turned out pretty neat. Thinking of something similar but not sure I want that big of a project right now.

#16 ·
That orange J-truck is awesome! I've alwsys liked them, cut my wrenching teeth on jeep cj's, almost bought a '78 J10. But never seen a crew cab... that's the best yet!

Hope to find a cc/sb of my own to splice my ext cab onto...

Nice finds and nice work so far.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#12 · (Edited)
So the plan was to show the 245,000 mile v10 doing some work, but things went south.

Spent Wed dragging this contraption out of the dirt, the front had sunk down to where the axle was actually into the dirt.

So I could go trade it for this.

But about 6 miles from home had to call for assistance.

Dad hooked his '99 2wd v10 with only 33,000 miles onto the trailer

And my brother hooked his '07 diesel on to me and home we went.

It all got home.

I don't know what happened there was a clunk a surge and then dead. It cranks but really, really slow.

So now the project may be a little more rushed.

#13 ·
So I got a little time to work on it today. I wanted to get the bed unbolted, and none of the torx bits I had seemed right, I picked up snapon t50, t55 both standard and plus style and none fit right. So I stopped by the hardware soter and picked up some big ol'nuts(the real cheap ones)and welded them to the bolts so I could get a good socket on them. The first two came out no problem, the next three broke the holder underneath. I then pulled my head out of my *** and remembered some things I was taught back when I was 10 or so. I worked the bolt back and forth and the rest came right out. I got one of the spinning ones off but need a second person to get the next two. I really want to have this thing down to a rolling chassis this weekend.

And since everyone loves pics

One I found that I really like the stance, might be a bit to high to be completely practical.

And an old dentside sitting on a sd frame, this is a 6.0. That is all I know about it. But I do know where there is a cab, same guy that has the internationals.

#14 ·
Holy crap! What are the body mounts and bolts made of? It took two sawzall blades to cut through one of them. The expensive milwaukee "torch" ones, not some crappy menards blade. Good news is it is ready to be pulled off the frame, now to find the time.

On a side note, I found the owner of the sd pictured above on facebook. It has an 8inch skyjacker, bushwhacker cut out fender flares, and 46in Goodyear MVTS on 20x10 moto metal wheels.

It is a little bigger than I thought it looked in the picture.

#15 ·
So I may have a really dumb idea. I have a guy willing to sell me the complete front suspension from a coil spring f550, he will cut the frame just past the front arm mounts so I should have everything I need to swap into my truck. I have found where I can swap it to srw and 8 lug. But I have also found 20x10 double beadlock wheels that would work with it and I could keep the huge brakes, and 10 lug wheels. The wheels are pretty damn heavy, 150lbs each, but are like the 2 piece and internal beadlock hummer wheels just bigger amd the backspacing is completely customizable.

I need to find some measurements.

f550 drw front axle width

f550 drw and srw rear axle width

and the widths of my stock f250 axles.

The good thing is I should be able to sell one of my axle sets and have enough to buy the front suspension.

#17 · (Edited)
The actual chances of putting a different body on the frame are pretty slim, I am just not in a place where a project like that is something I can take on right now.

So since it is all of really freakin cold out and I can't really work on it I am trying to mess with some interior touches I want to do. One of those is changing all the interior switch lighting. Since I haven't decided if I will keep the truck the amber metallic or not and I didn't know if I could actually do this without ruining the switches I tried two different colors.

In light you can't even tell the factory one in the middle is on, but it is.

In the dark, they may actually be to bright. When they are reassembled in the panels that extra glow will be gone so that could help.

I might see if I can find a led that is not quite as bright or I could possible change out the resistor to eat up some of the power.

If I keep it metallic amber. Doesn't look like it would be all that much to bright if it is.

If I go to a blue or black with blue accents. I think that would end up being to bright.

I don't want it to be a HEY LOOK AT MY LEDS type of thing just more of coordinating with the vehicle color.

It seems Ford uses a pretty big resistor already, I am assuming to help with led life, I don't know if I would really want to add a bigger one. Changing the resistor looks exponentially harder due to it's location.

I think there will be a lot of bulbs to change out once I get going on this and will probably wonder what I was ever thinking. Besides the window and lock switches there will be the 4wd, headlight, hvac control and some others I am sure I am forgetting about.

I know it isn't much progress but it was something and now I know I can pull it off. If you have any comments or constructive criticism let me know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.