My Budget E99 Build - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org Builds & Projects Post your builds & projects here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2014, 04:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My Budget E99 Build

So ive had my truck for a few months now, and am loving every minute of it. Even before I owned it I had an idea of how I might want mine to look once I bought it, and now that I have saved up some dough I can start my journey to build it how I want it. So my basic goal is for it to be updated outside, and have about 350 horses and 800ft/lb of torque. Im not sure how unrealistic this sounds as I havn't seen a ton of 7.3 performance builds .

Basically this truck goes to work every single day pulling mowers or pushing snow so im in the process of getting all mechanical stuff before I add any power. Oil cooler and water pump need to be done, as well as needing some add-a-leaf up front. I have started by getting an 06 bumper and grill from a buddy, just need top bad and lower vailance for bumper and some headlights and adapters and that should be good to go. I went out last night and bought a lightly used 2012 tailgate after mine blew off with a load in the bed. After I get all that buttoned up I am going to order some paintable mirrors with signals and wire those up to work and then the outside should be mostly done. Im not a big wheel guy so im hoping to find a set of 5 spoke ford oem wheels and put those on and call it good.

As far as performance goes.... I really don't know. First on the list is a tune, which will go hand in hand with building up the transmission. After those two things are done i'll start moving on to buying larger injectors as well as possibly a compound setup, but this is extremely far in my future as going to school this fall will surely start eating my bank account, and if we get no snow this winter this project will really be set back! I havnt done too much research on all the performance upgrades I could realistically do with my budget, but that's what im shooting for and if it takes a few years, well so be it. Ill post some photos of what I already have done in a bit after I finish up some work and eat some food. Feel free to comment on what I have said here regarding looks and performance, I will take all the info I can get!

-Rob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2014, 04:32 PM

Got the 2012 gate on. Had to take out all the internals of my old one and transfer them over, easy job other than my bed was tweaked inward. Got out my ratchet straps and hooked up to my fathers truck... Its straighter now and the gate fits, but the gaps are less than ideal at the moment. I plan on approving that later.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:10 PM

Here's a picture
Old 08-18-2014, 04:37 AM

Tailgate looks good!
The Following User Says Thank You to TANK. For This Useful Post:
ThreeFitty (08-31-2014)
Old 08-31-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANK. View Post
Tailgate looks good!
Thanks! Still need to buy the top trim piece for it but money is really tight I'm barely scraping by as it is
Old 08-31-2014, 08:25 AM

So basically I want to keep this project moving, but it seems I never get the cash ponied up to buy parts. I just bought a Boss V plow that I needed to plow this winter and an starting college Tuesday so right now I just have to maintain my money until we get some snow and then I may be able to start buying parts. Went to the truck pulls this weekend and boy did it take a lot for me not bring out the credit card and buy some stuff after getting jealous there. Oh well, all good things come in time, I'm hope in 12 months time it will be nearing completion
Old 08-31-2014, 11:53 AM

I actually finally did the 6637 intake from Riff Raff which is much better than that custom ricer filter the kid had on there before me. Did this probably 2 weeks ago.

One thing I did experience was going up to the fair this past Friday night, all my buddies and I were convoying up and obviously we were having some fun so on the ride up we were all just laying into it hard. Well about a mile outside the fair we hit traffic and was in it for about 35 minutes barely moving, truck really just idling. I started noticing a tiny blue smoke coming out of my exhaust at idle and when I would give it a little throttle to move up it would cheech pretty bad. Got out of the fair around 3am and came out and it fired right up no problems and drives fine. I stop at the truck stop to get a drink and no smoke at all. I have my buddy get out and look when I step on it and only a little bit of black smoke, no blue. Now I went out today and started it for the first time since that Saturday morning and quickly ran around back to see nothing coming out of the exhaust like usual. Same thing when I got home from my run to the store, nothing. Any idea why it only did it that one time? Turbo seals maybe? Thanks
Old 08-31-2014, 02:08 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Could be injector o rings and some oil getting in there during longer idleing. Turbo seals will be white smoke while idling My truck is a e99. My numbers are 385/890 with a d66, 180/30 injectors, php and tony wild man tuning, s&b intake, 4inch exhaust, adrenalin hpop,

If you read all the performance builds for a 7.3 you'll find that most are large single turbo builds. The compound setups don't always produce great numbers. But if you're into it for big big numbers, you'll have to get a 2nd mortgage....
Old 08-31-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC SuperTech View Post
Could be injector o rings and some oil getting in there during longer idleing. Turbo seals will be white smoke while idling My truck is a e99. My numbers are 385/890 with a d66, 180/30 injectors, php and tony wild man tuning, s&b intake, 4inch exhaust, adrenalin hpop,

If you read all the performance builds for a 7.3 you'll find that most are large single turbo builds. The compound setups don't always produce great numbers. But if you're into it for big big numbers, you'll have to get a 2nd mortgage....
Good to know! This is really the only time I've every really sit in traffic with it for that long so its really the first time. Hopefully they can hold on until after plow season.

And that's good to know to show me where I could be with my truck! I was thinking compound but its really not in the budget... About how much did you spend on your whole setup? Do it all yourself? Those are some nice power numbers for sure! Thank you
strokin-7.3 likes this.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:53 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Did 90 percent myself. I didn't do the trans rebuild or the teardown of the engine. I had a oil pan gasket leaking badly from the previous owner. So I had to have engine yanked. The oil pickup was clogged with orange permatex. They found the permatex around the valve springs, so we took the entire engine down and installed new rings and bearings and such.

I have 1200 in the turbo. 1000 in injectors( I bought them used on here) have 3000 in the trans.(actually have 2300 more in a previous build that didn't hold up) , I have 450 in the hpop, 170 in the riff Raff frx, exhaust was on the truck when I bought it, php hydra chip and tuning are about 450( with all the different tunes) intake was 269, you'll eventually need bellowed up pipes as the stock ones will leak. Bar none diesel is the place to go, e99 up pipes aren't cheap. Riff Raff diesel sells them too, check both places....not to mention all the other parts that were aged and weak that had to be replaced....its not cheap by far. I have friends of mine that shake their head in total disbelief or the fact that they can't believe I spent the kind of money I have. But the truck has 290k miles on it and I've only owned it since 245k...it led a hard life up till I bought it. My wife and I don't discuss the amount...I don't like to think about it. Lol

But, its what I love and I could be way better off financially maybe....maybe...but I'd probably have spent the money on whatever else I was building. A mustang or whatever floats my boat. Main thing is do it in stages as you can afford it and be prepared for when you add power for stuff that's weak to break, and spending money on those parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.