Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2000 DD Build / Maintenance Thread

2K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  jrdecat 
#1 ·
Inherited a 2000 F250 from my grandparents who didn't want to sell it because they thought they'd have to pay taxes since it was a write off as a farm expense for them. I'm not going to argue about a deal like that.

Here's how it sat when I got it.

I know the tires are small. I know the running boards are ugly. I hate the looks and lack of visibility from a shell, but I haul a lot of steel that can't get wet so I have to have a cover and a tonneau doesn't leave me enough room.

Loaded up the bed with a bunch of other junk my grandmother didn't want which included some antique woodworking tools from my great-grandfather. Turns out this lot of hand planers is worth about $500-$700! Score! That's off topic, but I like cool old things.

Hit the road to drive from Amarillo to Denver. I was about 30 miles past Clayton when the engine started losing power and stumbling. I pulled over and shut it down, checked all fluids, restarted the motor and headed back on my way. 2 min in started the same thing only worse. Pulled over and shut her down again. Turned the key and listened for fuel pump. Took the fuel filter cap and the filter looked good and the pump was fueling the bowl in 1 cycle. Back on the road and it was even worse so I pulled over into the median and called for a tow. Could barely keep the truck running to get into position for the tow to come haul me away.

Tow truck hauled me to Raton where they have a Ford Stealership. The next morning I bought a gold plated fuel filter from them and swapped out the old one. Now the truck wouldn't start and just puked white smoke so I just told them to fix it.

$400 to troubleshoot and replace a leaking fuel filter cap (which wasn't leaking) and glow plug relay just to get it to start so they could start really troubleshooting.

Diagnosis was bad injector #1. Total out the door will be in the $1200 range. I know I got hosed on price, but I was stranded 300 miles from home and they're the only game in town. Took 2 days to get the injector in ($359) and hopefully I'll be heading out of this crap-hole later this afternoon.

See less See more
#2 ·
Now that I'm over the initial $1200 shock...I have ordered a Glowshift 3 in 1 pyro, boost, fuel pressure gauge to keep an eye on things. I know Glowshift isn't Autometer or ISSPRO, but having something is better than nothing, so I'll run the GS until it lets me down.

Also on order is the 6637 kit from riffraffdiesel. I priced the individual components and it was pretty much the same price so why not buy the kit with the prefilter included. Scored a 4" MBRP exhaust on craigslist for $125 with extra 4" pipe included. I will have to hack it a little to fit since it's for an '05 but I have access to a fab shop so I'm not worried. Had to get a downpipe for it so the exhaust will cost me under $200.

I haul about 1000# of steel in the bed a couple times a week so I don't need insane power and capacity on this thing. My commute is only 9 miles so I'm not overly concerned with doing the 6.0 transmission cooler yet. I just need a reliable daily driver. Any other recommendations for a new 7.3 owner. I've had the 5.9 12v in the past, but never a Ford.

#4 · (Edited)
Ok, so I'm using the thread to keep track of how much I've spent...
Repairs in Raton
$1260 - glow plug relay, fuel filter bowl cap, injector #1
$98 - DIY air filter kit from riffraff
$45 - spare wix 6637 filter
$125 - 2 month old MBRP 4" exhaust (from behind downpipe)
$27 - 3x 4" exhaust butt joint
$75 - diamond eye 4" downpipe
$54 - 2x 4' exhaust sections
$24 - 3x 4" u bolt saddle
$190 - Glowshift 3 in 1 boost, pyro, fuel press gauge and pod
$10 - od button
$150 - 2x OG black CPS
$100 - 2x 24" semi truck horns from big rig scrapyard

Total to date: $2160

#5 ·
Learning to do a lot of the motor work yourself could save you ALOT of money. When I first bought my Powerstroke I had other people do the work but I quickly learned that the most cost effective option was for me to do it myself. It was quite a learning experience considering that most of my Diesel Experience has been from tractors, but it was worth it. It has saved me thousands of dollars and I am always much more comfortable driving something that I understand. Good luck with what ever else you do to it, ill be following along :thumb:.

#6 ·
I agree. I am usually a complete DIYer but I was stuck 300 miles from home with no tools or time! Now that it's back home and kind of running I needed to take it back to a Ford shop so big blue could get involved if the first shop didn't do their job properly. Trust me, I won't be going back to a stealership unless there's a gun to my head. My wife hates it, but I always keep a spare truck or two that I can drive when I'm working on the other one(s). I'm down to 5 trucks now and the Ford is the only one that's busted!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.