2003 6.0uhoh Build - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org Builds & Projects Post your builds & projects here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2014, 08:10 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2003 6.0uhoh Build

Yeah, I'm new here on Powerstroke.org, but I figured that this would be the perfect place to not only keep you guys updated on what's going on with the rig, but to also keep a somewhat organized log of what's been done/installed while it's still fresh in my mind. I've noticed that only a few members, including Colin7.3, still keep up with their "Build", so I hope that what I post keeps you guys interested.

Background:
In August of 2012, my Father and I decided to upgraded from our 1991 F350 460 that we've had for a little over a decade, to a 2003 PSD. We're both rookies in the diesel world, not knowing that the 2003 6.0 is probably one of the worst trucks ever made, mechanically speaking, but on a positive note, it's been a learning experience to say the least and when done right, these 6.0's can be very reliable and produce a lot of towing power. We picked up the truck in San Francisco, walking out the door spending just under $9k, so it was a decent deal in our eyes, especially since newer generation diesels go for a lot more around here in California. With that said, we budgeted to ultimately have to rebuild the engine and transmission, if it ever came to that. We were mostly looking for a truck that was cosmetically in near perfect shape. So, the bulletproofing process began!

Vehicle specs (when purchased):
- 2003 F250, extended cab, FX4
- 6.0L Powerstroke w/ 220k
- 5R110
- Rancho 3" lift

Installed as of 7/8/14:
- New OEM instrument cluster
- New OEM radio
- Rugged Ridge floor mats
- Bulletproof EGR cooler
- Bulletproof oil cooler
- Bulletproof transmission w/ Red Eagle Alto clutch plates and Billet triple disk torque converter
- Bulletproof waterpump
- All new filters (in-line transmission filter, transmission filter, oil filter, fuel filter) @ 222k
- Rebuilt OEM Garrett turbo
- Complete coolant flush with Restore and Restore+ and filled with CAT EC-1
- New tailgate
- "Blue spring" upgrade
- IPR valve
- ICP sensor
- Motorcraft starter
- BD Power intercooler piping boots w/ clamps
- Monroe steering stabilizer
- Custom carrier bearing spacer
- Husky Liner custom fitted front and rear mudflaps
- Edge Evolution CTS Programmer
- Energy Suspension f/r sway bar bushings

Side story:
In June of 2013, before doing any preventative maintenance, I took the 6.0 for it's first long haul since our new ownership. Approximately 400 miles, making my way up the Rubicon with my crawler on the back, as I do every year. The trip went smoothly until we got to Auburn. While attempting to make it over the first major pass, I lost boost and it felt like the torque converter was slipping. Ended up having to unload the Jeep, and drove it the remaining 30 or so miles to camp and limping the truck home. Later found out that the unison ring got stuck, the torque converter was toast and little did I know, the oil cooler had clogged. Thus, doing the tear down and installation of the parts above.

Future plans (aftermarket/maintenance):
- 2012-2014 FX4 decals ORDERED
- 6" International tip ORDERED
- EGT probe for CTS
- International oval emblems
- MBRP 4" turbo back exhaust
- Custom lumber rack
- 08 tow mirrors
- Bulletproof HPOP and SCT fitting
- OEM head gaskets with ARP studs
- Seat covers
- Sinister Diesel intake elbow
- Custom built Garrett turbo
- Routine flushes, filters and brakes
- Tons of cosmetic work along with a few odds and ends

Issues to be addressed (will update as problems are fixed):
- No torque converter lock up/not hitting "sixth" gear
- Squeaking coming from the front end when turning left
- Cracked windshield

I apologize for all the text. Just wanted to give you guys a decent background on the vehicle and what some of the future plans are. If you have any suggestions or thoughts, don't be afraid to post them! Here are some pictures. Thanks!

iron butterfly likes this.

Last edited by Kyle1228; 07-17-2014 at 02:51 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2014, 11:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Good looking truck! I can respect you for taking a dive on the 6.0. I wanted one when I was looking for trucks but didn't want to take the risk of having it crap out on me.

Any plans for ARP studs in the future?
Old 04-04-2014, 09:49 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03ranger30 View Post
Good looking truck! I can respect you for taking a dive on the 6.0. I wanted one when I was looking for trucks but didn't want to take the risk of having it crap out on me.

Any plans for ARP studs in the future?
Thanks. If we would have done a little more research before purchasing this truck, we most likely would have a 7.3, but oh well..it's been an adventure. Studs will be done when we have to, but not before then. We're going to pull the entire engine when we do the studs/head gaskets, so we'll just end up rebuilding the whole thing while it's out and I'm just not looking forward to that at all
Old 04-04-2014, 09:51 PM
Premium Member

The "blue spring" upgrade I ordered from XDP finally arrived so I'll be installing that within the next week or so, along with a few decals I ordered. I'll post some pictures when it's all done.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:36 PM
Premium Member

UPDATE:

Still haven't installed the blue spring, unfortunately. The truck was at the good old dealership all last week for a PCM update and a full system diagnostics because of the hard start I've been having when it's cold. Luckily, I was given some good news. I honestly thought I was going to get the report back with the leading causes being a couple bad glow plugs or even worse a bad injector or two but it turned out to be not that bad! I need to replace the ICP and the IPR sensors, along with the jumper harness. All injectors and glow plugs were given a clean bill of health.
If any of you have replaced either of those sensors, how easy is it to replace them without removing the turbo? I know you can go from the underside, after removing a heat shield; just not sure how cramped it is.

Also, after many different opinions, I'm 80% sure I figured out the shutter during take off and humming while driving. Because of the 3" lift, I'm fairly positive that my axle is no longer sitting at the correct angle. So, as a solution, I'm going to make a 1" spacer, out of square tubing. I'll slap that in there and see if the probably is resolved.

Over the next couple weeks, while everything is being installed, I'll take some pictures for you guys
Thanks for reading!

Last edited by Kyle1228; 05-04-2014 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:20 PM
Premium Member

UPDATE:

Well, I finally took the time out and spent this weekend installing the "blue spring", IPR valve and ICP sensor. All I can say is, what a pain in the you know what, in regards to the IPR and the ICP. With the amount of time I spent removing and installing the new ones, I could have just removed the turbo and done it that way. It was much more of a task than I anticipated. AND, there's a plot twist! After removing the ICP and aattempting the IPR for a couple hours with no luck, I decided to head up the house to research a little more on what some other guys were doing to remove this thing. I read on one forum, that a guy removed the FICM and reached behind it with a long extension with a swivel socket on it to get to the IPR. I figured this was a pretty good idea, so away I went at removing everything I needed to, which I had to remove half of anyway to do the blue spring. Anyways, when I removed the FICM mounting bracket, one of the mounting studs (a valve cover stud), fell off completely into my hand. At this point, I was just wondering what else could possibly go wrong. But as always, the Ford God's were looking over me and I was able to remove the other half of the stud from the back side, a quarter turn at a time. I went down to Ford, because I had to buy a new hose for the degas bottle ($75) anyways and asked if they had a new stud in stock, which they didn't, but it looked relatively easy to make myself so I did. All was good from that point on. Except trying to re-install the turbo heat shield, which literally took me about 3 hours to do. So, enough talking, here are some pictures.

By the way, have any other guys on here gotten a PCM re-flash? I just had mine done two weeks ago (I've only driven it home from the dealership sine then) and my truck just drives differently. Almost like it's a little gutless. I'm not sure if my truck just needs to relearn everything or if my truck was chipped when I bought it? No idea, let me know what you guys think!

Broken stud:

Old IPR and ICP:

My 75 dollar hose...and my helper:

All torn apart!

Blue spring remnants:

All done, happy truck!

Old 05-06-2014, 10:10 PM
Premium Member

This 7.3 put me to shame...

Old 05-21-2014, 03:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

How much of a difference could you tell when you put the blue spring upgrade in.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:44 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COD101492 View Post
How much of a difference could you tell when you put the blue spring upgrade in.
To be honest, there's little to no difference from what I can tell, but I only floor it maybe a few times over the course of each month to clear out any soot. Generally speaking, you should install the blue spring solely based on the fact that it will not let your fuel pressure drop below a potentially catastrophic point like the OEM spring will and there could possibly be a minor power gain but it's just not something that's very noticeable.

In other news, haven't done much to the truck lately. Just a few odds and ends within the last couple weeks:
- Replaced intercooler piping boots with new ones from BD Diesel Performance
- Installed front and rear custom fit mud flaps
- Fabbed up and installed a driveline carrier bearing spacer to eliminate the annoying shuttering and humming
- Replaced the starter
- Ordered new front and rear sway bar bushings as well as an Edge Evolution CTS programmer (mainly going to be used for reading live data)

That's about it.
I also popped off the transmission pan in an attempt to fix this no lock up issue and wasn't successful. I've pretty much exhausted all my other options, almost completely ruling out an electrical issue, which forces me to face the fact that it's most likely a mechanical issue. I'm going to run a few more tests but it looks like the transmission will be coming back out soon. We have an annual camping trip planned for the 20th-29th, and involves towing my Jeep up to the Rubicon, which isn't a hard drive for the most part; it's really just the last 40 miles or so when you get past Auburn where it becomes pretty steep going uphill and I'm trying to reason with myself on whether the transmission can do it no problem or if towing without lock up will cause damage.

I snapped a few pictures while I was installing the misc junk, so I'll post some soon.

Last edited by Kyle1228; 06-09-2014 at 02:47 AM.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok thanks. I bought one and put it in about a week ago and can tell no difference lol. But did it for satisfaction. Yea I gotta get a degas bottle for mine. Its cracked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.