'01 Platinum Edition Project - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org Builds & Projects Post your builds & projects here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 01:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'01 Platinum Edition Project

Hey folks,

I'm trying to upgrade/restore my 2001 Platinum Edition to its former glory. It's not in bad shape (pics to come) but has some wear on it.

I have list of future wants but more immediate needs. I wanted to tap into Powerstroke.org, folks that helped keep my beast running in the past. Any help and direction is much appreciated in advance.

MODS: I put a hypertech chip, set to Stage 2, I have Banks Cold Air Intake system, Bellows Up-pipes, EBV delete, new pedestal, DieselSite Coolant filter, Evans waterless coolant. Replace all ball joints (MOOG) and outer seals/dust cover, new Hubs, brakes.

So you know where I'm coming from. I purchased her used in '05 as retirement gift (yes to myself, always wanted one). The transmission blew that year, complete rebuild, then she died again and Ford put a IDM, (I think thats right acronym) in it. She runs okay but is slowly losing MPG and making some rattling noises in the front end and it feels like the 4x4 is engaged. And she eats water pumps for breakfast.

IMMEDIATE PROBLEMS:

1. The ole girl has trouble starting below 40* plugged in she does fine. Not a normal problem with Texas heat but something is wrong, any suggestion?

2. She has an oil leak (on top) I can't pinpoint, I thought it was the pedestal but its not the pedestal this time. any thoughts on trouble shooting?

3. This will be my fourth water pump in three years, I buy Airtex but every 9 months or so I get the smell and another pump is gone. This one is after the Coolant filtration install. I'm baffled as to what could kill them so quickly????

4. When driving I get these rattling noises; to me they come from the front passenger side. The passenger side axle knuckle is very clunky and I have some gear oil showing. When I turn sharp it feels like the 4x4 is engaged is this normal at 300K miles? I did replace the sway-bar links. What could be rattling so much? ***I can't stand strange noises***http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ima...LyT9B5AN1z.gif

As stated, I appreciate any help as I thoroughly go through the ole girl and make her run well and shine again...plus I need to put some new rings on her fingers (wheels and tires) Pics and updates to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2014, 08:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

are the mods on the list want to do's or already done? If not done, get a 6 position chip 6637 air filter and an exhaust if you want it.

Having trouble below 40 can be as simple as a gpr or switching oils for the colder months. I did a western gpr mod and run 10w30 in the winter and my truck starts the first time every time at -10. Read the cold start sticks and see if you can pin point your issue.

Are you installing the pumps or is a shop? Did you flush your coolant system prior to the new pump? I got mine from diesel site and its at least made it 9 months with no issues. Are you using distilled water (had to ask) or ecl coolant?

swap everything out to moog and get warn premium hubs, I have that set up and grease it every oil change almost 20k on it and zero problems.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

heisman01, Thanks for the reply,
The mods are already done. As far as the hubs, already changed them with Timken hubs. I want to keep the vacuum system unless there is any compelling reason I shouldn't.

For the cold, I'm running AMSOIL 15-40 year-round. The water pumps I installed. They are all leaking from the weep hole nothing leaking around the gaskets. I'm looking at their water pump with filter attached right now. Pretty clean set up. I use Evans waterless coolant and already have a filter system on her.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I got my water pump coolant filter and therm all in one shot from diesel site, you might as well try them next and see what there warranty is.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

waterpump

I'm going to get my next water pump from DeiselSite.

Do you know what might cause all that noise I'm having in the front end and why the 4x4 would feel like its engaged?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.