Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

E99 Dually Project (by a cheapskate)

6K views 37 replies 6 participants last post by  E99F350Stroker 
#1 ·
After having my e99 for a year I have finally got around to making a project thread. I purchased my truck a year ago for $5,000 dollars and it had been my high school project. At that point it had a flatbed Super cab 4x4 6 Speed XLT 265,000 miles with a ranch hand brush guard. I bought it knowing that it would need some work. The flat bed looked good but was rusty to the point of being structurally unsound, it needed an alternator, starter, and it cut out at wide open throttle, and small things in the interior didn't work (power locks and windows). It also had driver side cab corner rust and needed paint. At this point (10,000 miles later and a senior in high school) I have installed a regular dually bed, new back bumper, 05 front end, Leveling Kit, and I am in the process of doing injectors right now. At this point I have about $6,000 in the swap after selling the flatbed and brush guard that were on it when I got it. The next thing on my list is paint. The pics go from oldest to newest.

See less See more
#2 ·
I just ordered the Autoenginuity Ford bundle. I'm really curious to see what codes its throwing and I cant wait to be able to run diagnostic tests.

#3 ·
I just ran a few tests with my new scanner. No major diagnostics yet, just scanned for a few basic trouble codes and :mad::eek::stupidcomputer::banging::doh: heres what I got: No major engine codes with basic tests....but a :censored: load of electrical and brake problems.

#4 ·
Looks like you have done a lot of work to it already and it's looking better all the time.
Good luck on getting all of the things done to it that you want.
Doug

#5 ·
Thanks it's getting there. I want to get it painted and then I think I'll do some minor engine mods like custom tuning, a ww2, stage 2 injectors, and possibly a ported compressor housing.

#7 ·
Another update, my IPR came in, I installed and I'm still getting code p1283, no start and low ICP pressure. There is bare copper showing on the connection to the IPR harness and ICP harness. I have an extra UVCG harness and the injector leads happen to be the same as the IPR. I'm gonna splice a new section in and see if that does the trick.

Here some pics of the IPR removal tool that I built. I saw this design using a flat piece of steel on the internet and if I had to it again I would have used a piece of rebar or something similar.The flat piece took up a lot of room. I had to drill a larger hole through the center of the socket for the IPR to fit.

#8 · (Edited)
I got it running, IPR was was not the problem. My IPR Wiring however was a different story. Both wires had bare copper showing and were touching. I pulled them apart and it started like a champ. Runs great, this is the first time that Ive started it with new injectors.

Im finishing up my 05-07 front end install for the next couple of days and then I'm having it painted at the end of this week or the middle of next week. Ill post pics of finished product.

Upcoming performance mods include custom tuning, water meth, and a ww2.

Reactions: WHEELER3129
#9 ·
New Headlights! They seem to be built well and they were reasonably priced. I'm going to liberally use silicon when I install them so hopefully no condensation can get in. Before I can install the headlights I have to install my 05 header panel and do some minor wiring.

#10 ·
My truck is back from paint!!! I am pleased with the results that I got for the price that I paid. My 07 front end swap is also finally complete, I took a few crappy phone pics of the truck pre paint and a I have a few more crappy phone pics post paint before my new front end was installed. Ill take some tomorrow with my digital camera to show the full truck and finished product.

I also just ordered a 7" Caterpillar stack from Smeding Diesel so I can finally get rid of the hack job exhaust that the previous owner put on there.

PRE PAINT:

POST PAINT:

And the Stack I ordered. Mine will be a little smaller but its basically the same.

Next on the list is TUNING!!!!!!! :woot::woot::woot:

#14 ·
Yes sir it is!

Next on my list is to install my stack, get Custom Tuning (I'm thinking Bean's Diesel), and fix some miscellaneous electrical issues that have been bugging me.

Reactions: WHEELER3129
#13 ·
Sweet truck, it turned out awesome. I love the all black look. So what's next for the truck?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#15 ·
Black painted trucks are the only ones that can pull off the blacked out look. You need to sand that grille and get it painted!

Truck looks awesome although I think it needs a new flatbed. :wink[3]:

BTW: Did you do all the prep work for paint? How much did it cost you to get it painted?

#16 ·
Haha thanks! I loved my flatbed but it was rusty and I found a good deal on the regular bed. As far as the body work goes I did some of it myself. I removed all of the badges, lights, and plastic trim that would be in the way of paint so all the body man had to do was the actual body work. You cant tell in the picture (or is person) but he only painted my bed, front fenders, and upper valence for my bumper. The paint job was pretty good with no runs and a good clear coat. It cost me $500 including paint/body work and I was really happy with it. My truck is a work truck so I'm not worried about having perfect paint because inevitably it will get dinged up.

#19 ·
Yes your truck is looking nice and I don't see a thing wrong with Chrome.
Doug

#20 ·
Yeah I like chrome too. I've been contemplating getting chrome door handles and rocker panel strips. I'm pretty much set on the door handles but IDK about the rocker strips. Here's a couple trucks that look similar to what I have in mind with chrome. I don't want to get totally away from the blacked out look but one of my main goals for this build is to have a unique look.

#21 ·
I have the chrome door handles, and mirrior covers on my truck like the chrome
package, just don't have the chrome hooks on the front, never cared for the rocker strips.
Doug

#22 ·
Who did you buy your door handles from. I see the brand in your sig, but what vendor?

BTW I just bought some 6.0 door badges.

#23 ·
That was almost 7 years ago, just someone from ebay. They were not that much
but I had to buy new two sided tape to put on them.
Doug

#25 ·
The chrome door handle covers still look new, the mirrior covers are
starting to show some age.
Doug

#28 ·
#29 ·
Yeah I cant wait either!

Also Ryan in your sig I saw that you were from Lexington NC. Do you ever eat at Lexington #1? I have family in Mocksville and we always stop to eat there because its the best bbq on the planet...:thumb:.

Anybody have any ideas on the cleanest way to install my stack? I think flex pipe would probably the easiest and cheapest way. I just don't want it to shake around and look unprofessional.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.