OBS build on a high school student budget - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org Builds & Projects Post your builds & projects here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2014, 08:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OBS build on a high school student budget

Just bought a 97 f350 four door SRW, and I plan on starting to upgrade the truck. Its bone stock so it needs a little something to pep it up. I do have a 5 inch MBRP exhaust, and I was wondering if that would be too much to put on the stock truck? and help or advice would be fantastic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2014, 07:55 PM

I just ordered a 5" exhaust for my 94. It should get here in the next 10 days or so. I don't foresee any problems. It should work just fine...guess we'll find out. Nice truck btw
Old 02-22-2014, 04:50 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilleyman7 View Post
Just bought a 97 f350 four door SRW, and I plan on starting to upgrade the truck. Its bone stock so it needs a little something to pep it up. I do have a 5 inch MBRP exhaust, and I was wondering if that would be too much to put on the stock truck? and help or advice would be fantastic.

Youll be just fine , that is where you need to start , downpipe ,exhaust and air intake would be great ,if you can get it tuned then even better , this will get you by so you can let the bank account get bigger to do the other supporting mods
Old 02-22-2014, 09:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok that's great then. I already have a 4 inch & a 3 inch down pipe, but I was told that the 4 wouldn't fit on the obs without modding the firewall. They are both brand new and they were given to me along with a parts truck that I bought. I plan on putting the exhaust on ASAP.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OBS build on a high school student budget-new-truck-4.jpg

I finally got my new hub caps put on and it looks pretty good. I am looking at cold air intakes, but im not really sure what would be the best bang for my buck. Any help would be fantastic!
Old 02-24-2014, 07:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am looking for a new front bumper, but im not sure if I want a stock one or more of a ranch hand. Any ideas?
Old 02-25-2014, 01:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You wont want to pay the $$ for a ranch hand but when I had my 2000 PSD it saved me several times with deer. If you can weld or have a buddy thats a welder thats the way to go, I have one in the works for my 02. You can make it custom that way and it will save you TONS of money. As far as the intake goes, when I had my 97 i made one using a NAPA filter and a plumbing fitting for under $70. I forget the part # now but i think the 6637 will work on the OBS trucks the same as it does on the Super Duty's, somebody please correct me if im wrong. I made my 97 a monster on a high school budget so if I can be of any help just let me know shoot me a PM Im on here about once a day. Nice lookin rig I will be keeping an eye on the build.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Riffraff Diesel makes a 6637 filter kit that comes with the angled tube that is needed for OBS trucks. Also a good time to do the CCV mod. And if you tune it get gauges to monitor EGT temp, trans temp, and boost.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well thanks for all of the info! yeah ranch hands are wayyy out of my price range for sure, but for the intake problem, I am looking into the 6637 mod for sure. I was looking at a S&B cold air intake and they are 269$ which might be more for the future. As for the gauges, I plan on going more of a digital route like the EDGE INSIGHT CTS. Should I do that or go for the pillar pods? Pardon my lack of intelligence, but what is the CCV mod? Thanks for all of your input once again, and I will update it as much as I can.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

well i havent been able to update this lately, but as of now i have a ts chip put on it, and a 3in down pipe ready to be put on. im still looking for gauges to put on it, and a stock bumper. they are not easy to find i have found out. I now have the 5 speed transmission ready to go into the beast, and i am dreading the install. ill be ecstatic once i have it installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.