1994/2001 Truck build! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org Builds & Projects Post your builds & projects here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2013, 07:36 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lightbulb 1994/2001 Truck build!

So drawing some inspiration from Colin7.3's build, which is awesome, I decided I would do something similar and document my build in here. Now bare with me because it may be a little slow. I am working as an EMT and going to college so time and money is few and far between.

A little History! I bought this 2001 4x4 7.3 F-350 the other day with 267K miles on it for 2K. Its in OK shape and the owner said that the engine had been recently overhauled but it wouldn't start and he wasn't sure why.

So we got it home and off the trailer which was a bit of a challenge in itself. Today we, me and a friend of mine who is even crazier than me, started looking over it and finally figured out it wasn't getting oil up to the HPOP. The guy that put the engine back together had used silicone, and way too much silicone, to seal the oil pump and it ended up blocking the oil. So after a fairly easy fix the truck is now running! Think i got a pretty good deal after such an easy fix!
So you may be wondering, what is so crazy about this build? And the answer to that is i'm taking the 7.3 engine and the 6 speed transmission out of the 01 truck and putting it in my old F-350, that i have been using since i was 13, and currently has the old 351w in it!

Then taking the body and chassis of the 01 and putting a 5.9 cummins engine and transmission in it, which i just got yesterday! So i will have a 01 7.3 in my 1994 350 and a cummins in my 01 350! First up though is getting the 351w out of my 94 and the 7.3 in its place, the cummins comes after.
I'm hoping to get my 94 350 looking like my brothers 01 350 it has so much work done to it, and looks sick! He gets around 550HP from under there on the dyno.

I will be keeping my fingers crossed and will keep you up with the progress of the build.Hope you enjoy this and feel free to give advice or ask questions!

Last edited by St33lHorse1; 01-29-2014 at 03:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2013, 04:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

This will be a sweet build man. I know the feeling of no time as I'm also an EMT/firefighter plus my college and full time job.

One thing to consider is why not put the Cummins in the 94 truck and leave the 01 in the way it sits and maybe build it up a little. That way you don't need to worry about wiring nightmares with the electrical engine and the like. But dont let me change your mind if you really wanna do the 7.3 in the 94 its your project

Whichever way you choose to go I wish the best and I'll be following this closely

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 11-21-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin7.3 View Post
This will be a sweet build man. I know the feeling of no time as I'm also an EMT/firefighter plus my college and full time job.

One thing to consider is why not put the Cummins in the 94 truck and leave the 01 in the way it sits and maybe build it up a little. That way you don't need to worry about wiring nightmares with the electrical engine and the like. But dont let me change your mind if you really wanna do the 7.3 in the 94 its your project

Whichever way you choose to go I wish the best and I'll be following this closely

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Ah you're a FF! Nice!

There is a reason i'm putting the 7.3 in the 94. It may not be legit for others but it is for me. Also i believe i can get more power from a 7.3 than a 5.9. The cummins build will also be more for a friend than anything. The 94 will be mine!

Also here's proof the truck is idling! This was the first crank up for it while i have owned it!

7.3 start up! - YouTube So exciting just to have it running! lol
Old 11-22-2013, 08:28 AM

Subbed....good luck on the project(s)!
Old 11-28-2013, 05:25 PM

sounds great man! a lot better than mine haha
Old 01-10-2014, 09:37 PM

So after a few hangups and some other stuff i had to get done i'm finally back to this project.

Quick update. Was able to take the tranny out today and the engine is ready to come out of the 01 truck. The engine runs pretty smooth. Only problem is the engine has a leak. I believe its coming from the back around the turbo so i'm not too worried about it. Hopefully on monday we will be able to get the engine out of it and take a look at things. I'll try to remember to take some pics next time.

If everything looks good (fingerscrossed) on the engine and tranny i'll be taking the 351 out of the 94 next and getting it ready for a bigass 7.3 engine! Still need to check on the piston rods. Really hope they're the steel forged. That's going to be my deciding factor for now on how much hp i'm going to try to get out of it.

Last edited by St33lHorse1; 01-10-2014 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:02 AM

Quick update. Got the 01 engine out and am pretty sure the oil lead was coming from the turbo mount. So i have a new one on the way. Also went ahead and got lower end gaskets for the whole thing and put those on. Good news was when i took the oil pan off and saw those beautiful STEEL FORGED rods! Now that I know that my goal in hp is 500-550. I think that should be fairly easily attainable with the 7.3.
Worked on the 351 a bit the other day so hopefully today I can get that engine out of the 94 truck and start looking at what i'm going to have to modify/custom fab for the 7.3 to go in there.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:48 PM

So I got the 351 engine and tranny out of the 94 the other day. Went to a pick n pull and found the core support and engine mounts that I need for the ps to fit into my trucks frame. I found some 3" tubing that's going to work for my intercooler placement as well. Also I got the ps ready to install into the 94. Even placed the ps in the 94 jst to see how it looked room wise and it looked very spacious surprisingly. So hopefully the next time I work on it I can get the engine fitted into the 94 and that will be exciting. Can't wait for that! Been feeling pretty good so far as to my progress. Everything seams to be going fairly smoothly.

The only things that I see in the future that may give me some trouble is going to be fabricating the support for the intercooler, electrical system/comp system change, and fitting the 6 speed tranny in where the old automatic was. Hoping it won't be too bad though.

If all goes well i'm thinking i'm going to start out with this turbo:
Turbochargers - Turbo and Charge Air Upgrades - 1994.5 - 2003 Powerstroke 7.3L Truck - Ford Powerstroke
A MBRP exhaust and an air intake of some kind. Haven't really decided on buying the air intake system or just building it myself. Prolly just going to build my own to fit my room needs but we'll see how everything else goes.

After I feel like my truck's engine and tranny can stay cool I'll start building up the hp but I wan't to make sure everything is going to stay running cool before then.

Having a blast learning and working on my truck as I go !!
Old 01-27-2014, 06:46 AM

Good stuff man. I noticed you've posted three updates with no responses and I wanted to let you know that we're still following you and wishing you well.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUGGS View Post
Good stuff man. I noticed you've posted three updates with no responses and I wanted to let you know that we're still following you and wishing you well.
Thanks! I appreciate that

I'll upload some pics sometime along the way as well. Jst not great with computer stuff, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.