Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

97 psd build on a working man's budget!

30K views 263 replies 13 participants last post by  kraker829 
#1 ·
Hey guys I'm new here, and bought my 1st Ford and first diesel, it's a 1997 f250 xlt long bed ext cab, with the infamous 7.3, she just turned over 213000 and she drives, runs and brakes literally brand new. The interior is imaculate. I will post more pictures when I get home. But here is what I have planned, and remember I am in school and working so this is a big work in progress!!
Plans
Today I am scrapping the running boards and looking some kind of step
This weekend I'm going to do a huge cleaning inside and out, wax the whole 9 yards, also changing all fluids, and work on the tail gate latch
Spray in bed liner
6637 kit
Has a Pac break, just the unit itself has to be mounted.
Straight pipe turbo back with new diamond eye down pipe and polished 6in tip.
I have other little things but give me some ideas please, and I will have lots of pictures when I get home!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Well. Mine I have.. tw 6 pos. Stage 1 sticks. Trans being built as we speak. D66 turbo. Homemade 5in full exhaust and 6637... also have 285s for tires.. soon to swap front end to a dana 60. 6.0 intercooler sittin waiting to go In. Then a t500 hpop.

#4 ·
#6 ·
#9 ·
Yep, no rust just, just a little where the paint scratched off on the inside of the tailgate. I'm going to do a spray on Bedliner there. The truck has a built tranny, gooseneck, has a 2nd od, d accelerator and a Pac break, also some beefy helper springs in the back. I think it's one of the cleanest obs 2wd around me. I would have liked to have 4wd but I have a jeep that I'm in the process of building, that's my offroader, this is my work/ pull truck. Since I am on a tight budget, eventually the stripes and molding will come off and repaint her bright white, also I am going to take the visor and Bondo the holes eventually, then install cab lights, but overall the truck has really been taken care of, everything on it works as it should.

#10 ·
Thanks man, she's very clean! Yeah I'm taking the running boards off but the visor is growing on me, but she really looks good. I'm getting the 6637 bhaf kit from riffraff.

#12 ·
Florida kept its whole life, has all original manuals and everything from the factory. I live 45 minutes south of jacksonville. I couldnt believe it either, no rust!

#14 ·
I heard that Ohio has some of the worst rust! You have a great looking truck! Love the color! Im getting the 6637, i also want to straight pipe her with a new down pipe, what do you recommend?

#18 ·
Yeah shes just turned over 213000 on a built tranny with a gear vendor system. Im new to the diesel world, what is the stage 1 tw and d66?

#20 ·
Thanks, My truck has a Garrett Turbo, I believe it is newer, what number should i look for on it to tell if its stock or not?

#22 ·
I got home and took off the running boards! Looks 100% better here are some pictures

Attachments

#25 ·
#33 ·
Just ordered it, also going to get my 6637 kit soon

#34 ·

Attachments

#35 ·

Attachments

#36 ·

Attachments

#37 ·

Attachments

#40 ·
... wax the whole 9 yards ...
Probably closer to 19 yards. :rofl:

Yeah shes just turned over 213000 on a built tranny with a gear vendor system ...
Do some research on the Gear Vendors overdrive system. From the very little I know, I think they hold up fine on flat & uphill when 'pulling' under tension, but don't like to be 'pushed' under tension on downhills, so best to disengage it on the downhills. I'd call up GV directly & ask though, rather than relying on my admittedly vague rambling.

#41 ·
Probably closer to 19 yards. :rofl:

Do some research on the Gear Vendors overdrive system. From the very little I know, I think they hold up fine on flat & uphill when 'pulling' under tension, but don't like to be 'pushed' under tension on downhills, so best to disengage it on the downhills. I'd call up GV directly & ask though, rather than relying on my admittedly vague rambling.
Haha don't forget I'm here in Florida where the only hills we have are bridges haha! I need to call them to learn exactly how to use it. I believe it may have a small leak, I am putting up some more pictures of the underside right now.

#42 ·
I think I may have a leak in the gv, the tranny, ujoints are good and dry, someone emptyed the fuel bowl with out a catch can so it ran down the side of the oil pan, I am going to clean all that up tomorrow. But here are some pictures, see what you think, I also have to take my muffler off and clamp on a new pipe, and same with my cat, but then I have to reposition my exhaust brake because it's mounted on the exhaust brake.

Attachments

#43 ·
Heya.. saw your post on psn... for oil just go rotella t 15w40... I knkw that guy said synthetic.. I dont like it but its personal preffernce.. for your exhaust u wna get rid of muffler and resignator... just hack it off with a saw and throw in some 3 1/2 stainless.. or go with a full system.. also your turbo may have a ebpv.. I deleted mine cause I hated ot and restricts airflow.. but if u ever have turbo off you can look at it then

#44 ·
Thanks, 3 1/2 in pipe with exhaust clamps will work fine right, and what's a ebpv?

#45 ·
Yes I just got a section of 31/2 cut and used exhaust u clamps... ebpv.. is right after turbo. Closes in winter to help heat motor qquicker.. mine would stick.. it also takes 10% or so of the space right after the turbo in yhe pipe.. I cut it all out. And capped the holes. So its turbo amd open pipe all way out

#46 ·
Thanks i will look at all that when i get home.

#47 ·
What's up guys, a little update, they sent the wrong sized down pipe, having second thoughts, and may save up the money and get a 3in dp to 4in exhaust back done at the local shop, I know the guy real well, it will be a little more expensive but in the long run I know it's done right and will last. I am in the middle of painting my grill, some of the paint was chipping, that will make a huge difference, I washed and waxed her over the weekend, she looks great. Also restained the wood interior, this week I would like to finish my grill, order my 6637, and Start prepping the bed for liner, if anyone could recomend me a lift, all I want to do is get the front up just a little over level with the back so I can fit some bigger tires. Thanks and here's a bunch of pictures of some of the things I said above, please comment any ideas or opinions! Thanks

Attachments

#48 ·

Attachments

#49 ·

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.