My first truck- 01 f350 7.3 lariat cclb need suggestions and help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org Builds & Projects Post your builds & projects here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2013, 09:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smile My first truck- 01 f350 7.3 lariat cclb need suggestions and help!

Hey guys, so I just bought my first truck, (im 16) a beautiful, spotless, 01 f350 7.3 lariat cclb. It's completely stock, except the pioneer avic z110 head unit and back up cam I installed. I absolutely love it, but I have a bunch of stuff I wanna do! I would like to-
-strait pipe
-intake
-tuner
-level or lift kit
-wheels and tires
-gauges
-wanna be able to roll coal!
Probably first would be the gauges intake and exhaust. Any suggestions on anything else I should do, or what I should buy, or anything at all that would help me, please share! Like I said this is my first truck, although I have worked on cars trucks and had many atvs and motorcycles, There's always so much I want to do and learn! Oh and any tips on taking car of the truck or products you like to use to protect and detail it would be great. I'm very very meticulous when it comes to my truck! It's pretty much a brand new, 12 year old truck! I'm the second owner, last guy was a diesel mechanic for ups, and garage kept the truck the entire time he owned it! He even had seat covers on it the day he got it! And i wanna keep it that way! So any help or suggestions would be awesome! Thanks guys!
Luke Zee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2013, 09:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Welcome... Still learning myself. This is my first non-Army-issue diesel. Lots of knowledge on here. Diesels ain't cheap, but they're fun. Can't imagine having one at 16. Count your blessings.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Forgot to say this in the first post, I don't know if I should but the $50 muffler delete or a $300 + 4" strait pipe. I really want a strait pipe, but not sure if it's worth the money. Also what kind of gauges should I get. I also need to do something with the intake, I've seen some threads about home made Intakes, so I don't know if I should do that or buy a nice cold air intake meant for the truck. Also, what kinda tuner I should get. I would like to do this right, not taking shortcuts. If I need some money to do so, I'll save up to do it right. Thanks again for any help!
Old 10-24-2013, 11:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
Welcome... Still learning myself. This is my first non-Army-issue diesel. Lots of knowledge on here. Diesels ain't cheap, but they're fun. Can't imagine having one at 16. Count your blessings.
Also, do you have any pics of how you mounted your subs? I'm installing some Memphis audio subs and amps my cousin sent me. Thanks!
Old 10-24-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor250 View Post
Also, do you have any pics of how you mounted your subs? I'm installing some Memphis audio subs and amps my cousin sent me. Thanks!
Never took any photos of it. Looks like (is) the factory center console. I got the JL Audio Stealthbox. It is a 10" sub in a sealed box, shaped for the application. You take out your center console, remove the inner part, mount the sub, then the shell of the console goes over it. It reduces your console storage to about 3 or 4" in depth, but sounds great. I never did like the boomyness of a ported box. I'm old.... A sealed box will give you a tighter, more natural bottom end, but it takes more power to drive. Got mine through Crutchfield a few years ago.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:48 PM

As far as your exhaust goes, it depends on what kind of sound you like. When I got my exhaust put in I had a choice straight pipe or muffler. I love the sound of engines, so I said "Straight pipe it." I figured the turbo would quiet it down. Once they cranked it up the turbo whine was so loud it sounded like a helicopter. Lots of guys love the turbo whistle. I held the muffler up against the end and got a muffled low tone, had them put it on then and there. You can still hear the sound of the turbo, but it is muffled and in the background of the big V-8 rumble. I like my turbo whine as a compliment to the roar of the engine, not the dominant sound. Personal choice, I ended up liking the muffler best. Being as it's a 5" system, it still ain't quiet, that muffler is freaking huge, just a different sound.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:50 PM
Serving Our Country!

Talking about the exhaust, for now you can just delete the muffler, buy some pipe and stick in until you can get a decent 4" exhaust. Get a 4" exhaust system with a 4" downpipe also. Some guys like the throaty sound of a 5" but 4 is really all you need. You don't need to spend an ungodly amount of money either, exhaust pipe is exhaust pipe. Just shop for a good deal. For intake, you can keep your stock air box and get a Napa 6637 or Wix 6637 that will drop into the base of the air box to open up the intake by a land slide. All you would have to do is get a short maybe 2 or 3 inch long 4" OD pipe to connect from the intake tube to the filter and clamp it down. Go with ISSPRO pillar gauges.Boost, trans temp and EGT
Old 10-24-2013, 08:51 PM
Serving Our Country!

daddyusmaximus ninja posted me...
Old 10-25-2013, 06:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the responses so quick! The subs my cousin sent me are already in sealed boxes, they were out of his 08 f350 KR. I don't love the crazy vibration either, just a good sound! As far as the exhaust goes, I think I'll go with a 4" strait pipe. I do LOVE the turbo whistle! So I need a trans temp and egr gauge correct? What about a boost gauge? I was looking at a mbrp strait pipe for $300. I have an idea, a buddy of mine owns a shop, so he can make me any exhaust pieces and install them. What if I went with the 4" down tube and 4" strait pipe, but right before the rear axle put a turn down with a big tip? So you wouldn't even see the exhaust but it would just sound great! Remember, im 16 I like loud trucks just an idea thought it might be a possibility. Maybe even cheaper because I would use less pipe!
Old 10-25-2013, 06:54 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor250 View Post
Thanks for the responses so quick! The subs my cousin sent me are already in sealed boxes, they were out of his 08 f350 KR. I don't love the crazy vibration either, just a good sound! As far as the exhaust goes, I think I'll go with a 4" strait pipe. I do LOVE the turbo whistle! So I need a trans temp and egr gauge correct? What about a boost gauge? I was looking at a mbrp strait pipe for $300. I have an idea, a buddy of mine owns a shop, so he can make me any exhaust pieces and install them. What if I went with the 4" down tube and 4" strait pipe, but right before the rear axle put a turn down with a big tip? So you wouldn't even see the exhaust but it would just sound great! Remember, im 16 I like loud trucks just an idea thought it might be a possibility. Maybe even cheaper because I would use less pipe!
Yeah have your buddy build you something. That'd be way cheaper too. And when you get gauges get a 3 gauge pillar with exhaust gas temp (pyrometer) boost and trans temp. You can also get a 4th gauge if you want for like oil pressure or fuel pressure or something. I assume your state doesn't require emissions test for diesels? You can also get a ported turbo shroud to elimination surge but that can be later on. But if you want to dump it off under the truck you can. You would certainly hear the truck. Just make sure the exhaust outlet wouldn't be by anything that can melt lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
7.3, f350, lift kit, rollcoal, strait pipe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.