Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Slow College Build

9K views 42 replies 12 participants last post by  Orin250 
#1 ·
inherited my fathers 7.3 F250. great truck looks like the day it came off the dealers lot. interior is pristine and aside from the bed, the exterior is emaculate. When my father passed away in February my mother wanted to sell the truck and split the money between my brother, sister and myself. i wouldnt have it leave the family and i was the one who would keep it despite being the youngest. it started out completely stock other than the K&N intake and Snugtop camper shell.

here it is the way he left it to me.

i got to work after a few months so far I've got a MBRP exhaust, AFE intake and intake manifold, a chip and a set of pillar gauges. on the outside ive installed a billet grille and removed the snug top. also did a full spray in bed liner and threw a transfer flow 40 gal. tank toolbox combo in the back.

See less See more
#2 ·
the front tires are pretty worn so im going to throw on some new tires and a leveling kit. gonna trie to squeeze on some 35s on new rims. headlights are next on the list. the pictures dont quite do it justice but they are pretty oxidized

#3 ·
well made a trip down to westminster colorado today to go by the 4 wheel parts store there. put money down on a set of procomp 315/75 r16 xtreme all terrains, some new wheels and a procomp leveling kit. get to make the trip back down there again next wednesday for them to install everything. also have a set of recon projector headlights in the mail. missed the UPS guy today so hopefully ill be home tomorrow when he comes by.

#5 ·
08 mirrors do look nice.

i like my pro comp leveling kit.
did you order the kit that comes with replacement springs? if so you will need longer shocks in the front.

#7 ·
also got the headlights in this afternoon!! gonna look pretty good i think.

didnt come with any instructions or anything. seems pretty straight forward but some kind of instructions would be nice so i dont screw anything up

#9 ·
Nice looking truck, sorry to hear about your loss.

#10 ·
They install Tha same way you take factorys out. Kinda hard to explain. I'm running the same style lights. A vise would help with cranking out adjustments.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

#14 ·
That is a heck of a truck. Your father took great care of it. I'm sorry for you to have lost your father at such a young age. I'm 57 and just lost my 91 year old father and I miss him terribly. You've got a good legacy from him with the 7.3L Powerstroke. I've got two but they don't look that good. Make your father proud and don't tear it up. Good luck young man.

#15 ·
trust me i have no plans to do so! washed and put a new coat of wax on it this morning. its been tough without him but the compassion and support ive seen from others has been outstanding. he was a firefighter for almost 32 years. and i swear half the city came out to the internment. so far my plans have been things that he always wanted to do but he wouldnt ever do because all the money went to putting food on the table for us.

#16 ·
Hey Cduff...sorry to hear that your Dad passed. At least his memory will live on with YOU. Sweet look'en truck. If your still interested in the mirror swap. I have a set brand NEW still in the box, 08 & up power/heated/ folding black Tow Mirrors. Looking to get $550.00.. Decided to sell my truck so I won't be installing them.

#17 ·
i would take you up on that but after what i did today i think I'm gonna be living off ramen noodles for a while. went down and got the level installed and some new procomp wheels and 35s! looks great! the front sits up about an inch or so higher than the rear hopefully itll settle, if not the guys at 4wheelparts in westminster said they would put 1 inch blocks in the rear for free when they do the 10 inspection.

one question for y'all. after all this the steering wheel is tilted about 45 degrees to the left. the alignments good i can let go of the wheel and it'll track dead straight so its not a big deal to me just kind of an annoyance. is this something to do with the stock steering components? (drag link, pitman arm)

here she is right after i took the keys back. kind of saggin in the rear cause the bed is full of the old tires and like i said the springs still have to settle.

#18 ·
After I lifted my dually 6in. I had a similar issue. Mine was at like 120* off. Haha. On the steering bar. That connects to the Pitman arm there's a adjustable link. Unlock steering and turn link and have someone watch your steering wheel turn. Kinda hard to explain but that's how I fixed my own. I had to use a lot of pb blaster and I pipe wrench to loosen up link.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#20 ·
so should get a chance to throw the headlights on next weekend. living in an apartment sucks. i couldnt bring all my tools up with me so im headed down to my roommates house in fort collins to borrow some of the electrical tools.

#22 ·
Theyre just ProComp Alloy wheels. heres a link to them:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/S...?t_c=11&t_s=210&t_pt=100073&t_pn=PXA1069-6870

If i were to do it again i wouldnt let the sales rep talk me into them again. ild go with the Mickey Thompson Classic IIIs. the 35s on these wheels rub a bit at full lock and the Mickeys have half an inch less back spacing so i think that wouldve taken care of it. they look almost identical too but cost a bit more. either way im happy! i dont mind the bit of rub yet

#23 ·
gonna go down to my buddies place in fort collins this weekend to get some work done. hopefully going to get the headlights on, replace the filler neck breather tube i hacked up when i was putting on the auxilary tank and correct the steering wheel.

somebody ran into or kicked or did something to my tailgate last night and left two small dents about the size of my thumbnail and two pretty good scuffs. got the scuffs out pretty quick with about 10 minutes of scrubbing with meguiars polishing compound. the dents are barely noticable now but theyre going to bug the crap out of me!

#24 ·
got the lights in today! they look great. got a chance to try out the bulbs on the way home too. a snow storm dumped on us about 15 miles out of town. pretty darn bright definitely a step up from my stock lights. maybe a bit of aiming to do but my buddy who was driving in front of me said they were darn near perfect. gonna go in sometime soon for the "check-up" on my truck 4wheelparts does and probably will have a 1 inch block installed in the rear which should take care of all the doubt about the beam being aimed a bit too high. would have some pictures up but the snow took care of that for me.

#29 ·
I'm not sure if you got your 08 tow mirrors yet.

I bought the ones off ebay.. they are knock off ford ones. But they've been on my 2006 for almost a year. I think they were about $375 delivered. They are power folding everything.

I really wanted the mirrors but scrap yards want close to $1000 for the ford ones.

The knock off ones on ebay work great...

just a hint.

Damon.

Reactions: Cduff
#32 ·
yeah i would like to maybe go a shade darker in the front. but trying to keep within the California tint laws. hopefully once i get it registered in wyoming i can change it up a bit. the rear windows are pretty dark. pictures might not do it justice.

#33 ·
took it out hunting the other day. can say I'm real happy with the leveling kit off road. it seems pretty stiff sometimes on the street but really smoothed out the bigger drops and rocks on the trail. nice having the piece of mind that the air dam won't rub or break off on a rock. haven't had a chance to wash it down and check for ******* pin striping. been real cold up here ever since i got back, below 10 degrees all day today. started up no problem other than my usual chip issue, but threw some codes (exhaust pressure, fuel level sensor, cylinder 3 glow plug) but drove it out to class and shut it off and turned it back on and all the codes were gone.

#34 ·
old girl has been having some problems with the subzero conditions we've been having. had to get a new set of AGM batteries when she crapped out on me this weekend. been looking into a bunch of different ways to get the truck a bit more prepared for the weather.
I've heard around that california emissions messes with the glow plug system. is there much truth to that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.