Schlutzer Project Log - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org Builds & Projects Post your builds & projects here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 01:02 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Schlutzer Project Log

I bought this truck April fool's day 2012.

The day she came home. Picked this ugly thing up for $6000 from some dumb kid who paid 16500 for it less than a year before. E99, with only 212 000kms, and absolutely no rust, from Alberta and they don't use salt. Here it is beside my old ranger.

Turns out it wasn't quite as good of a deal as I hoped. 8" lift with the stock drive shaft for who knows how long. On the way home the rear shaft blows apart and causes this:

The tranny was a fresh rebuild because the kid blew it prior to me buying it, so I had a local shop swap the guts to a new case and it's been good ever since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 01:12 AM
Premium Member

The next step was properly do the 05 front end swap. I don't know what the kid did but he sure can't run a die grinder.

Ugly *** bumper close up.

Terrible cut to crap header panel removed and stomped on with great satisfaction.

Front end completely ripped apart

I also managed to get lucky and score some perfect fenders and hood the same colour for 200$ around this time.

Here is the bumper being test fit, new grille and header panel in.

And the finished (for now) product.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:18 AM
Premium Member

Re posting this picture... look at the degas bottle. See how the top inch is black?

He ran it with a leaking oil cooler for who knows how long.

I fixed it and flushed the rad. Then I ran a flush for 2 days and this is what came out of the block.

Three more times to get that looking good.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:34 AM
Premium Member

Fast forward a year, I've just been driving it, fixing all kinds of little issue's over time. Truck has a DP tuner, that was NOT set up for an early 99, and the shifting is terrible. After the terrible customer service I got from one of the two big tranny guys I got annoyed and bought this.

This is a 2000 with all the power options mine doesn't have, and best of all the 6 speed.

Step 1 I cut the hump out, wayyy bigger than I've seen others do it but I figured Id rather cut too big than not enough.

And this is how far I got today.

Hopefully I'll be ordering a southbend on thursday then I can move forward.

Last edited by schlutzer; 07-10-2013 at 01:05 AM.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:38 PM
Premium Member

The highlights from my power window install, rest is in my write up thread.

Pulled the dash.... you couldn't pay me to do that again.

New door panels

Rain delay

Had to do some fuse panel work, this took forever to figure out.

Last edited by schlutzer; 08-08-2013 at 12:05 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:00 AM
Premium Member

Next step was to do the 6 speed swap, I did this over two days having a second hand would have easily made this a one day job but I refused any help as I'm stubborn as hell. I will say, cutting the whole in the floor is the best part about this. I just went in through the passenger door with an engine lift and it made it so easy to drop the tranny or put the new one in.

Here's the southbend

So pretty

I decided to get a different southbend than everybody else get's, mostly because it's cheaper lol.

Here is the two transmissions beside eachother.

I intended to take enough pictures to do a full write up on this, but I kept forgetting. Here is a few to help anybody else. For anybody that wants to do this.

This is WAYYYY too big of a hole, you don't need to cut nearly this much.

This is where you need to be for the cut, this is my truck.

Also, unless you have something small like a plasma cutter you aren't going to be able to cut far enough up to be able to have the floor sections meet up with no gap. Well, unless you pull the dash that is.

I ended up with about a 1/2" gap at the very front so I cut the sides and bent it up to get a good fit with no gap.

This shows that as best I remembered to take it anyway, the shifter isn't that close the picture is just lying a bit.

I forgot to take any other picture's until I was done but here's it finished.

I want to say a few more things about this 6 speed swap that I read and don't like.

People have said that you're old carpet will fit just fine, I say flat out no. The hump is about 3" higher, you're old carpet will look like crap.

The transmission cooler line's are so different I can't imagine how people apparently "bend" the automatic one's to make them work, just get the manual one's.

There are two interlock's that you need to worry about, the clutch pedal one is easy and straightforward.

The other is the gear position interlock. So far I just plugged the automatic harness back in to the connector that the manual harness doesn't use and plugged in the transmission range sensor and that solved it.

Last edited by schlutzer; 08-08-2013 at 12:11 AM.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:41 PM
Premium Member

Minor upgade

Kinda of nerve racking to drill big holes in your truck...

For anybody that wants to do it, find the center, and then center the holes 5" from the top of the windshield and youll be the same as factory.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:51 AM
Premium Member

Big update: PAINT! finally. Okay so you've seen the before, red. What you can't see in the pictures is that the truck has been painted at least 3 different times, all red, sometimes with primer, some not, some single stage, some not.... you get it.

so....

Beginning dis-assembly

What I didn't picture was how much rust I had to repair and treat on the passenger door and rear wheel wells.

Also lovely, 3 out of 4 of these buggers broke off ( fender to header panel bolts)

Good thing I'm painting anyway... out comes the torch. They came out without too much fussing.

People always post the beginning, then primer, then painted. Nobody every let's you know just how much work is there between those steps.... this picture is 3 weeks and likely 50 hours of work after the first.

Bodywork all done, picture is the new hood, not picture is the new drivers door because I found 1/2", literally, thick bondo in the bottom, and dent I just didn't feel like fixing properly.

And NOW the primer stage. Blocking was dead easy now, few low spots. But there was so many layers of paint on this thing that I hand sanded out with 180, it was pretty much laser straight at this point. Blocking only took about 3 hours from here on.

Fenders all pretty, tons of little dents in them.... all fixed with nothing but a bit of glazing putty at the end.

Now the paint starts... I mixed base/clear to make my own single stage to do the underside of the hood, back of the fenders, and door jams.

Happy with the results I moved on... same very long day...

3 coats of base, and 2 of clear in this picture.

Final coat of clear

And that's as far as I've gotten so far! Reassembly starts tomorrow.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlutzer View Post
Big update: PAINT! finally. Okay so you've seen the before, red. What you can't see in the pictures is that the truck has been painted at least 3 different times, all red, sometimes with primer, some not, some single stage, some not.... you get it.

so....

Beginning dis-assembly

What I didn't picture was how much rust I had to repair and treat on the passenger door and rear wheel wells.

Also lovely, 3 out of 4 of these buggers broke off ( fender to header panel bolts)

Good thing I'm painting anyway... out comes the torch. They came out without too much fussing.

People always post the beginning, then primer, then painted. Nobody every let's you know just how much work is there between those steps.... this picture is 3 weeks and likely 50 hours of work after the first.

Bodywork all done, picture is the new hood, not picture is the new drivers door because I found 1/2", literally, thick bondo in the bottom, and dent I just didn't feel like fixing properly.

And NOW the primer stage. Blocking was dead easy now, few low spots. But there was so many layers of paint on this thing that I hand sanded out with 180, it was pretty much laser straight at this point. Blocking only took about 3 hours from here on.

Fenders all pretty, tons of little dents in them.... all fixed with nothing but a bit of glazing putty at the end.

Now the paint starts... I mixed base/clear to make my own single stage to do the underside of the hood, back of the fenders, and door jams.

Happy with the results I moved on... same very long day...

3 coats of base, and 2 of clear in this picture.

Final coat of clear

And that's as far as I've gotten so far! Reassembly starts tomorrow.
The truck turning out nice I wanna do a 6 speed swamp do you recommend it? I saw in your sig you wanna get stage 2's injectors later on. I highly recommend Swamps diesel performance I got his 160/100% stage 2's also cant beat his 5 yr 200,000 mile warranty. PS remember me you were helping me identifying if my truck was a late or early 1999.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:40 AM
Premium Member

If you like driving stick definitely go for it. I've never been happier with my truck than the first few weeks of the 6 speed. Especially out in the fields that granny gear is a lifesaver.

My suggestions if you do it.

Get a new clutch fork, the updated one.
Get an OEM clutch master and slave system, I had 3 different aftermarket ones that caused a high pedal engagement.
And cut the floor hole first. That way you can use an engine hoist to maneuver the big 6 speed around, I used it with a leveller, it was so easy that way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.