So i am finally getting my PHP Phoenix chip this week, I do have to say the folks at Power Hungry Performance are the only choice, not only are they the top of reliability with hardware, and a good price but the tunes are the only reliable tunes for the 7.3.
So i am building a custom switch panel and selector driver for the chip to give me the oem feature of warm up if it is in park and ebrake set, but then 4 switches on the dash will let you choose at will which tune you want to run, lets say you pull in to a traffic light with your trailer and need some extra juice to get going, do you really want to go "self, which setting am i in? crap i guess ill just flip it around randomly till i find a tune, or wait now i am in smoke show, no wait now i am in drive thru"
My first set of tunes are not controlled on the dash but with the parking selector/ebarake. Tune #1 is stock, Tune #2 is 1200rpm warm up, when the truck is turned on and no switch is on then it will always go to stock, if the truck is in park and only if the e-brake is on then you will get #2 via a relay.
the next 4 tunes are driver selectable, #3 65hp econ #4 tow #5 drive thru #6 smoke show. These can be in any order but i liked to stack them because i will be back and forth between econ and tow 90% of the time, then some times #5. Now without the stupid rotary switch your probably wondering how to pick a tune.....
This is only where I got today, but i took photos and the hard part of the electronics is yet to come...
I needed 4 switches for the 4 tunes, I also love the utility look of aircraft switch guards, so i began by cutting out a small piece of cardboard to fit the opening in the dash where i wanted the switches. Then with my first piece of plastic i began to lay out the pattern for the holes. The switches I got from a local electronics supplier, they are a (on) off on which means if you go one way it is light your high beams with a momentary on, then off in the middle and normal on the other way. This will lead in to my switching circuit. The guards are simple U bolts from the hardware store, i got 1" radius bolts with i think a 1/4" rod. They were about .80c each and the switches were about 3$ each.
These are the switches i used.
I began with my drill and dremel tool to just get everything on the plastic to i can see how they felt and looked.
they were all in there willy wanka with the nuts on the other side tight i found i would need to either glue them from the back side or put a second plate on the back to hold them in snug.
as you can see the dept is important to guard the switches
once in the dash it was rough but I was on the right track
now I got out my good black plastic to make the better plate, this time i had to change some of the dimensions slightly to make enough room for my fingers, i also had a bunch of oval holes as i fabricated the initial plate and getting the numbers fixed i can make a cleaner more perfect plate. Ultimately the gloss black is clean but i am going to paint it tan to match the dash.
i also added some spots for led's I once saw on a panel in a submarine i think where they back lit the switch guards, so i drilled a tinny clean hole then opened up the back side to accept the led, i just wanted a little "moon light" to peak though to the other side wash the silver guards and reflect back on to the switches.
So this is where I am at, i am missing one of the u bolts so back to the hardware store, I also need to get my red led's hot glued and the switches wiring done next.
Here is a few photos of the second plate which was the blue one i rough cut in the first steps. I put it on the back side to make the u bolts more rigid. I snapped it it half but it will work well. I also am putting a second set of nuts on the bolts to righten the whole thing up. I also got that 5th U bolt at the store last night.