Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

03 7.3 HP and torque??

4K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Corey@CNCFAB 
#1 ·
I have an 03 7.3 i have stock turbo, ts6 chip, 4in pipe into a 8in cat stack, and a magnum cold air intake. And im wanting to build as much torque and HP to my back wheels. What should i do next? And help and info would be a big help thanks guys

#4 · (Edited)
PMRs are powder metal rods. About mid 2000 ford started using PMRs instead of forged rods on the 7.3
With good tuning many have broken the 400hp line and much further with PMRs but tuning is critical. Also luck may have a lot to do with it. One guy can crank his PMR motor to 450 and beat on it the next guy who trys to do the same will install windows version 7.3 into the block. A lot of the broken PMR motors in the past were due to to poor tuning. Its not the hp that kills them ita too much torque down low and tuning with too agressive timing which increases cylinder pressure too far and boom.

#11 ·
One guy can crank his PMR motor to 450 and beat on it the next guy who trys to do the same will install windows version 7.3 into the block.
:rofl: I got a great kick out of this LMAO :)

#5 ·
So should i just stick with my 4in pipe and intake and chip. I was thinkin bout gettin a lil bit bigger injectors. Should i not do that? If if getting bigger injectors what size would yall say is the best. And i just bought a 150 airdog lift pump. Any other mods yall think i should get? I want to get as close to the 400hp as i can. Thanks guys for all the help. This is my first diesel. Thanks for all the help

#6 · (Edited)
Lots of injector options. A basic stage 2 or stage 1.5 injector will get you to 400 no problemo. 160/30%, 160/80%, 160/100% are all options. Or you can go with a small hybrid injector. 200cc or 238cc with whatever nozzle.

What is your truck used for? Daily driver? Weekend toy? Heavy tow rig? That has an effect on setting it up.

You will also need custom tunes, better turbo will be a good choice, bigger hpop depending on injector type/size. 400hp on a 7.3 is pretty easy and beyond that starts to get expensive. Gauges and a scanner of sort will be necessary to keep an eye on how it runs and to diagnose issues.

#8 · (Edited)
Just make sure you look around and do your homework. I personally build my own injectors but if i were to buy i would go with P.I.S. injectors which CNCfabrication carrys. I am also a fan of PHP tuning which they also carry. Bill at PHP is basically the father of tuning for 7.3s. You can send your TS6 for a reburn or sell it and upgrade to a hydra which i strongly recomend. With the hydra you can try other tuners out who tune on the hydra platform and you can download the tunes without removing the chip.

Reactions: jdlowesracer
#10 ·
Any other updates to your project?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Vertebrate Seal Harbor seal Terrestrial animal Fur seal

LMAO...

#15 ·
A HPOP is not needed for 160/30's a healthy stock will do just fine... Also in addition a healthy stock turbo will easily handle it so for the two 38r's that's an optional upgrade decision he can make

#17 · (Edited)
That's the decision you have to make ... Will a adrenaline give you better reponse and overall performance sure.. But why not just hold that money aside... And ride with your stock pump till it can't keep up.. Your spending the same money and getting more life out of your stock pump that's probably not bad.. But that's your call... A bone stock turbo is not what I was intending.. You can get a billet compressor wheel along with the EBPV delete to help keep egts down and the turbo will keep up just fine with the 160/30 no problem you can ask anybody on here and they will confirm that with you.. If the little extra performance you get out of the upgraded turbo system is worth it to you then by all means go with it.. But it's not pushing it too hard by any means ;)

#18 ·
Since so many people are on a tight budget, there are things you can do to get you by.

As for 160's and only a billet wheel, do the 360* bearing kit. Still not THE BEST option, but it'll do.

And you're right, the Garrett or KC38R is a much better option.

The 30% nozzles do make a significant difference in power though. Billet wheels match better with 160/0's, which is a great budget option for obs owners.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.