Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Budget 6.0 Build.

4K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  cosbysweater 
#1 ·
I'm new here on the site so let me do a brief intro, I have been a diesel tech for Ford at a designated truck center for going on 5 years and have always had a thing for the 6.0. Due to the fact it is a Ford commercial truck center i do work on just about everything, Powerstroke, Cummins, Duramax, blah blah blah. I always come back to the 6.0s, they are just about the best bang for the buck you can get out there so I started searching. Now although im a diesel tech, most of my modding experience comes from 4cyl turbo cars. However i need something to tow with and my Toyota just ain't gonna cut it. That being said a truck comes in for a issue, it has a thumping noise through the intake, and lack of power. Obviously there is only a few things that cause this and the customer stated he did not want to dump more then 1k into it to fix it. I jump in the truck, pop the hood and crank it from the passenger side, the thump is nasty, I pull the oil filter and its completely full of metal. Get the customer out there to show him the issue, I tell him due to the amount of oil in the filter, I am willing to bet money it munched a lifter and destroyed the cam. He starts calling the tow truck and I tell him I will give him 1k for the truck, he goes home and gets the paperwork. SOLD. This is where the fun starts. I have been keeping a running tally on the rebuild and modification process and so far I am at 4k flat and the engine is done and ready to be dropped In. Here is pictures of the beater and a build sheet below.

Engine removal process and teardown

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Here is the breakdown of what I have purchased for the truck, so upon teardown i found the number 4 lifter to be destroyed along with the cam and the front cover. Which is usually what happens with these damn things when the needle bearings get sucked into the pump. So i was on the hunt for a cam and lifters, bearings and a front cover and associated gaskets to assemble the shortblock. I found the bearings to not have to much damage to them and plastiguaged the rods and mains with new std oem bearings. Everything looked good on that end! The lifter bore suffered a tiny bit of scuffing, but a new lifter still slid in and out of the bore without grabbing, SWEET! I got a ball hone that fit the lifter bore and took out the scuff. On black friday, I bought a cam from RCD, its a stage 1 billet and it came with a free set of OE lifters as part of the deal. So i got a parts list together, I measured the bores and found them all to be round and found the ring gap was consistent across the board. I ordered rings, all the bearings, all the gaskets. so right now i am sitting at around 1800 in parts. Now you may say i left alot of parts out of the equation, HOWEVER, I became friends with a man that had a heavily modified 2006 that had a brand new engine in it, but he decided to change some stuff with the complete before it was installed. He had alot of good parts, he had all of the stuff in a nice big tote in his garage, when i looked in the box i was in heaven, ARP studs, Airdog 2, new oem HPOP and oil cooler, RCD chromoly pushrods, a reman turbo, reman starter, a new egr valve, and some other oem stuff like a cac and pipes and a/c compressor which i already had. I asked what he wanted for the lot, hell i figure i could probably get a good deal on the parts if i buy everything. he told me 1K and its all mine...... Ive never gone to a ATM so quickly in my whole life. I loaded the parts into my toyota and i was on my way! Then my boss comes into the picture, a truck came in with a Banks stainless turbo back exhaust and a insight moniter. This was a used truck that was traded in that was going to be sold, so i asked if i could take the insight and swap on the stock exhaust from my personal truck. He said yes, sweet! Also the truck had a sweet aluminum headache rack, so he removed that and was going to scrap it, so I swooped that up as well. Pictures of rebuild to follow

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.