Another winch question. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke Off Roading Pics, stories, vehicle recovery

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2009, 05:12 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another winch question.

Well, I was researching and getting ready to buy a winch and realized that all the winches I could find that are 12,000lbs+ are only supposed to be mounted "foot forward" and my winch mounting plat is "foot down". So my question is, what are my options? I understand why they do this, but I got a steal of a deal on my bumper and don't want to buy a new one. Am I stuck with 10,000lbs or less? Can I mount them foot down even though it isn't "recommended"? My last option is to find a fab shop that can weld in another 1/4-5/16 plate on the face of my bumper and hope it fits. (I would measure first, but you get the idea) What would you guys do....especially the guys that have experience with winches. Thanks.
-Aaron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2009, 05:23 PM
Premium Member

Ok...I've been sitting here doing a little more research and maybe I should specify...I was planning on a warn 16.5ti or the Superwinch EP16.5. I also contemplated the 15,000lb warn due to some negative reviews on the 16.5ti (Not stopping right away being the biggest problem) Anyhow, I did find that Ramsey makes a 12,000lber that is mounted foot down, but they don't have the best (or worst) reputation. I don't plan on using it that often, but when I need it, I will most likely NEED it. Basically, I am looking for any more info than I already have, personal experiences, and help thinking out loud.
-Aaron
Old 05-29-2009, 05:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I can help you with a lot of winch questions as well as possibly get you a great deal on a new bumper.... you can call me anytime at 775-722-8645
Old 05-29-2009, 06:41 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunesRunner08 View Post
I can help you with a lot of winch questions as well as possibly get you a great deal on a new bumper.... you can call me anytime at 775-722-8645

Yeah, I was looking at bumpers, but couldn't pass up one for $350, especially since I like the design, but not sure about the winch setup on it.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:30 PM

Is the Ramsey 12k winch about the same size as their 9k and 8k winches? I've got a Milemarker 12k winch and putting that side by side next to my Warn 12k or 16.5ti winches, the Warns dwarf the MM. The MM is the same size as my Warn 9k and Superwinch 9k winches. The 12k MM really doesn't even seem like it is in the same class as the 12K Warn, so not sure if the Ramsey you are looking at is the same way?

If you are REALLY stuck, I know I'd rather have one of the Warn Heavyweight series winches.

Happen to have any links where they talk about issues with the 16.5ti?
Old 05-30-2009, 02:26 PM
Premium Member

Well, I guess I am spreading internet lies. I knew that some of the complaints I read were for the 9.5ti (and I figured even thought the parts are probably different , they should be similar), but I thought there were some for the 16.5ti as well. I went back and searched for them again and can't find them. So at least for now I take that back. Either way, even the reviews that had complaints usually said they would recommend again and that the good outweighed the bad.
-Aaron
Old 10-01-2009, 02:40 PM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via AIM to 1tonpower
i have had bad luck the the MM12k. thats what i have mounted on my trailer. i keep blowing the holding brake on it. the last time it happen the winch wouldnt go in or out with or with out a load...just my .02 cents
Old 10-01-2009, 02:44 PM

i am a superwinch dealer and can make you a deal on one of theirs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.