Off roading and camping with your trucks - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke Off Roading Pics, stories, vehicle recovery

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 04:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Off roading and camping with your trucks

I know these beasts are big and heavy, but do any of you actually go off-roading and/or camping with you trucks? (other than AUSPowerstroke, he's a wild man) If you avoid the tight jeep trails, these truck can wheel. I found a site called Overland Expo. People go off the beaten path to see the real America. Some travel the world. I'm preparing my truck so I can pack up the gear, and take off for a week, living out of it, and traveling on and off road to see this beautiful country. Just wondering if there are any fellow off roaders on here, or is it all racers and pullers. Kinda hoping to find some Powerstrokers in Indiana to wheel with. There is a really nice place in Attica called the Badlands Off-Road park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2013, 10:59 AM

Wow! Really, NObody goes off roading...... ok.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:16 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
well here are some vids and pictures of me doing a lil offroading in my old truck... dont do that much now being that im married and have 3 kids....

Old 07-29-2013, 02:44 PM

I pull a 30 camper with 2 ATV's on the truck into the national forest sometimes several miles with my dually. Every now and then you may need 4x4 but not very often.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:26 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
tried once..... felt like my head was going to hit the roof..... alot of rocks around here and front and rear sway bars and camper package/f250 suspension don't flex to well.

super-duty isn't really built to off-road here in Colorado, the wheel base is to long and the truck is to wide

my bronco is on a 104.7" wheel base while my superduty is on a 172.4" wheel base, it just ends up bottoming out in the center

even the bronco is a tad wide on some of the trails, just m 2 cents

biggest mod on the super-duty is to make quick disconnects/remove the sway bars...... but the wheelbase is going to be the killer on a superduty, that and some lockers front and rear will help a ton on the super-duty unless you go with softer springs(deavers) to get more articulation.

Last edited by alaskan155; 07-29-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:07 PM

I went mud riding a couple times but I like my truck spotless underbody and all. I will never mud ride again with two frozen coffees in the cup holders lol the inside my truck was dirtier than out damn cup throwers

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 07-29-2013, 08:34 PM
Serving Our Country!

I don't really go hard core off roading becuase of weight and length so I usually tow my 4runner to trails but everyonce in a while I find myself taking 3 hrs with the pressure washer after finding some deep mud or hills my buddies didn't think I could climb lol...
Old 07-30-2013, 11:11 AM

Glad to see some people use their trucks. I just always thought it was weird for guys to lift their trucks, put all kinds of off road goodies on them, then never take 'em off the beaten path. I find the challenge of driving in rough terrain fun, and I love the scenic country you can see out away from it all. I find the key is to build her strong, then take it easy on her. When off road, I drive slow and easy. I always get where I need to go without breaking parts. Yeah I've pick up some tree branch pinstriping, but no dents yet on the 14 year old paint. Of course, like Dirty Harry said..."a man's got to know his limitations". Driving around in 9K#, I stay away from deep soft mud.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:22 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to kendallcschm
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
Glad to see some people use their trucks. I just always thought it was weird for guys to lift their trucks, put all kinds of off road goodies on them, then never take 'em off the beaten path. I find the challenge of driving in rough terrain fun, and I love the scenic country you can see out away from it all. I find the key is to build her strong, then take it easy on her. When off road, I drive slow and easy. I always get where I need to go without breaking parts. Yeah I've pick up some tree branch pinstriping, but no dents yet on the 14 year old paint. Of course, like Dirty Harry said..."a man's got to know his limitations". Driving around in 9K#, I stay away from deep soft mud.
i agree.. my truck is my winter commuter and tow rig.. i can't afford to have it all smashed up and broken.. i need it in good shape to haul and tow when i need it and commute without issue. but if you're gonna lift your truck then throw it around a mud hole or up a trail.. but i don't believe in off-roading a daily either build an offroader or don't risk your daily..
Old 07-31-2013, 09:22 AM

My off roader is my daily. The only thing I got other than the wife's mini van. But, I don't have to go to work the next day if I break something. I'm U.S. Army Retired /Disabled. ...and like I said, I may take her in rough places, but I do it slow and easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.