rear locker or not - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke Off Roading Pics, stories, vehicle recovery

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 06:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
rear locker or not

I have an 04 350 sc long bed FX4 badged truck sc tuner, exhaust, cold air intake, studs, egr delete, coolant filter, a few other minor mods.... I'm about ready to do some axle work.... I don't take this truck off road much (occasional quad races and some wood cutting but nothing drastic) but I do live in snow country.. I NEED a locking rear!!! I thought the fx4 package came with at least a limited slip rear but I cant seem to get it to lock (wet grass, sand,mud etc.) what gives?? I've had corporate 14 bolts with detroits in my Chevy trucks back when I was "comin up". I LOVE the strength of that combo..... couldn't break em...but now I need some advice as to the best setup you think would work. I'm leaning towards the Detroit for its simplicity and strength. My only concern would be tire wear and mileage loss.... rubber and oil ain't gettin any cheaper!!! whatcha think fellas???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2012, 10:49 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The factory LS sucks. I would go with a selectable locker like the arb, that's what I am doing with my OBS buildup.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

TruTrac. Locks when you need it, but you'll never know its there under "normal" driving conditions. No clutches to wear out either.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks guys.... I'm not a big fan of the arb... just another thing to go wrong in my mind... airline, compresser. I think I'm gonna still look into the detroit for the rear as well as weigh the options of true trac.... maybe the compresser isnt a bad idea... I hear train horns in the distance

Old 09-10-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danos 04 View Post
thanks guys.... I'm not a big fan of the arb... just another thing to go wrong in my mind... airline, compresser. I think I'm gonna still look into the detroit for the rear as well as weigh the options of true trac.... maybe the compresser isnt a bad idea... I hear train horns in the distance

I already have a compressor to air up the tires after I get back on pavement, (so the train horns sound like a cool idea) but I was considering the same choice as you... I have to re-gear after my lift. I was thinking ARB or Detroit Locker, and I am also leaning toward the Detroit. The guys at the 4 wheel drive shop say it's not bad to live with day to day on a big heavy truck. It will be a month or two before I have the cash to do it... I subscribed... If you get yours done first, please let us know how you like it.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank YOU for your service to our country sir!!!

I put a detroit on a 3/4 ton small block chevy long bed when I was a young buck (USCG) after I changed out the weak semi floater with a corporate 14 bolt from boyce mil. That axle was a BEAST!!! Every time I went around a corner with more that a "coast" of gas on it would squirm the 40's!!! But it was UN STOPPABLE too...with a tru track up front....4:56, 6" susp., 4" body, "smoke shear" fender cutouts and a 16k braden PTO winch... I miss the old beater but she was rustin away....headlight deep in the mud and still churnin the tires... I think I might have just made up my mind. they are pricey for the ford axle but they are about as bullet proff as you can get...
Old 09-12-2012, 02:54 AM

A few things I want to point out to help everyone make an educated purchase. I agree wholeheartedly that the Detroit locker will probably out live your truck, but they are notorious for being noisy and having poor street manners. Expect your tires to chirp around turns and wear more quickly. They do work on big, heavy trucks, but keep in mind the back end of a pick up isn't really that heavy. With an ARB locker, you have an open differential until you flip the switch.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:57 PM

I have ARBs in my jeep front and rear. The issues that stem from ARBs typically are caused by poor install. My arbs are about 8 years old. I had to replace what is called a coast gear in my rear dana 44 this past summer. The ability to have a full spool yet unlock it for highway driving is awesome.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:01 PM

I ended up going ARB. They are on order. Can't wait to get 'em in.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:06 PM

Good call! Doing both or just the rear? If you have never wheeled with a locked diff the traction difference is amazing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.