Is it just me or do these trucks SUCK off road? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke Off Roading Pics, stories, vehicle recovery

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2011, 03:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Is it just me or do these trucks SUCK off road?

I'll start by saying for the past 7-8 years, I've had a 2000 GMC Sierra 4x4 1500. For a stock truck, it was pretty capable offroad. I'm not talking rock crawling, but general trails in dry, and even mud and snow, it was pretty good!

Coming to my current truck, an '05 F350 4x4, I've gotta say, this thing sucks! There are two places (in the dirt) on my property that I sometimes have to park. With my GMC I _NEVER_ had problems getting the truck parked there. As soon as one tire loses traction, the damn thing just spins. I can't believe that this truck doesn't have posi.... and if it does, IT SUCKS! Even 4 wheel drive seems like it's really "two wheel drive", just a single wheel on each axle spinning.

Anyone else feel this way? It just seems that the second this thing has to flex/articulate a little, it instantly stops moving and just spins... and 4wd is just as useless in this scenario.

If there is a reasonable fix, I'm all ears. I don't need a rock crawler, but I do ask that the truck can climb a 4ft dirt slope once in a while without having to have momentum to carry it up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2011, 03:49 PM
MARSOC > Seals

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tires... same as the GMC?

and the limited slip.. you could have it.. look more into and see if you do..

Ford added some type of additive to the diffs that doesn't allow the LS to always engage for some reason (IIRC)
Old 05-26-2011, 04:14 PM
Don't you worry about it

The GM's have a G80 rear end and they are supposed to be amazing until the blow up.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:28 PM
The Silent Service

Moment 1:25 of that video shows the chevy truck (4x2) gaining traction by rolling on the edge of the roller/curb. The 4x4 Chevy then slipped and stopped and started going. The Fords and the Dodges were driven to slip. It happens in every video that chevy's produced lately, they don't drive the competing trucks to succeed, they drive them to fail and make thier product look better than it is. Standard Marketing.

To the O/P, first I'd check to make sure your trans-case is fully engaging four wheel drive, and that your hubs are locking correctly. Second, you went from a 1500 series IFS Gasser, to a 7500 lbs solid axle diesel. These trucks are going to handle different, and they can sink more than you're used to. I'd check out your 4x4 system and your diffs, and see if you find anything.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by najaf4life View Post
Tires... same as the GMC?

and the limited slip.. you could have it.. look more into and see if you do..

Ford added some type of additive to the diffs that doesn't allow the LS to always engage for some reason (IIRC)
It's not an issue of tires. The F350's are brand spakin' new. On GMs you can check an RPO sheet to check for options... does Ford do this too? How would I find out if I've got LSD?
Old 05-26-2011, 04:52 PM
MARSOC > Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_dually View Post
These trucks are going to handle different, and they can sink more than you're used to.
I thought that also when I was first reading his post.. but he says dirt also

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante04SRT View Post
It's not an issue of tires. The F350's are brand spakin' new. On GMs you can check an RPO sheet to check for options... does Ford do this too? How would I find out if I've got LSD?
I'm not positive how to look that up.. should be a RPO codes sticker some were on the vechile.. but I know I have LS cause I have the orginal window sticker
Old 05-26-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokinpower View Post
The GM's have a G80 rear end and they are supposed to be amazing until the blow up. YouTube - ‪20% grade G80‬‏
Good video - That's basically exactly what I'm experiencing with this F350.

As for the dirt, yes, it's doing it on dirt too. The sides of my driveway are like berms. They're not tall, maybe 4ft over a distance of 7-8 feet; As soon as this truck encounters a situation where one wheel loses traction, it get all the power and the truck goes NO WHERE. 4x4 doesn't seem to make ANY difference; I notice my hubs have the "Auto" thing on 'em - Should the be in lock or auto? Yes, this truck and my old truck are very different, but I can't imagine that this big-*** diesel 4x4 is such a wuss whenever it encounters terrain that is slightly angled... it just doesn't make sense at all.

Last edited by Dante04SRT; 05-26-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:26 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i off road with plenty of my cheby friends, one specifically that has a tricked out 1500. For starters you cannot compare a 3/4 ton to a 1/2, huge wieght differance, and ford vs chevy suffers the same fate, fords are way heavier. This is good for longevity and towing etc, fords are more heavy duty, but it hurts off road. My current setup with front and rear lockers and long travel suspension will keep up with the best of them, but for years my heavy fords lagged behind my chevy brothers in the sand and desert because there hp to weight ratio is higher. On the other hand, i have towed them out many a times due to broken front end parts, and they have never towed me anywhere
Old 05-26-2011, 08:37 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante04SRT View Post
Good video - That's basically exactly what I'm experiencing with this F350.

As for the dirt, yes, it's doing it on dirt too. The sides of my driveway are like berms. They're not tall, maybe 4ft over a distance of 7-8 feet; As soon as this truck encounters a situation where one wheel loses traction, it get all the power and the truck goes NO WHERE. 4x4 doesn't seem to make ANY difference; I notice my hubs have the "Auto" thing on 'em - Should the be in lock or auto? Yes, this truck and my old truck are very different, but I can't imagine that this big-*** diesel 4x4 is such a wuss whenever it encounters terrain that is slightly angled... it just doesn't make sense at all.
there are only 2 scenarios you should have to take the hubs out of auto and into lock mode. (1) being you are already stuck before switching to 4wd because of the vaccum actuators. (2) your vaccum actuators are inoperable, which can be due to bad/worn out lines.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:45 PM

Ill give you that 2wd aint gonna get you through much because you got a lot of weight to push with just 2 wheels but 4wd you shouldnt have a problem. I have had mine in ditches where I thought the back window was gonna bust from the flexing and drove out no problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.