What breaks? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke Off Roading Pics, stories, vehicle recovery

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 09:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What breaks?

There's a lot of threads here about mudding and very few about rock crawling which can be harder on your parts. I plan to do both and would like to know the limits of my truck before I break something. If I plan to scale any vertical walls, do I need to worry about my leaf springs falling apart, my axle joints snapping, either diff breaking, hubs falling apart.....? What will go first? Should I just not follow my buddies Jeeps?

Throw me some personal experience about your suspension/drivetrain breaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2010, 09:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I think you could have saved yourself a lot of money and bought a jeep.... Most people don't climb rocks with 50k dollar trucks....
Old 11-11-2010, 09:52 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
From my experience (jeep) the first thing to go is sheetmetal, closely followed by, U-joints, stubshafts, and axle joints, clutch, drive shafts, and Lockouts. one thing ive never broken is a leaf spring.... but ive seen it happen. tracbars ill hel save leaf springs but then somthing else becomes the weak link. If you have a Dana 50, go ahead and start looking for a 60. if your gona run lockers then axles, and drive shafts are the weak link. If youve got nerf bars or steps id just go ahead and scrap em...... have fun. haha. your best bet is buy a trailer and a toy.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:21 AM

If I were you I would save your truck and buy my rock crawler for sale. Its just two hours south of you. Its a jeep on 38 with one ton axles.

but in all reality you will start braking stuff and beating up your body. And its hard to say what will come first because anything can happen on a trail. I wouldnt do it.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:48 AM

I don't mind upgrading the breakable parts if that's what it takes. The truck is huge, versitile, different (not a Jeep), and I didn't pay anywhere near 50k for it. I do things differently. I honestly don't like hearing things like "Just buy a Jeep". I heard the same thing every day when building my street cars for racing. "Just go buy a Mustang". It may take more work and money to get the same result, but in the end it's worth it.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:54 AM

You'll never have the turning radius a jeep does, i've had my truck on trails and it's fun.... until you get to a corner that is never gonna happen. and as for mud, if your gonna be hitting mud holes makes sure you have BIG tires bc that thing is gonna sink.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:59 AM

Then buy a toyota. haha. The thing is these trails are made for shorter vehicles. Your truck is made to pull them there. Not go play with them.

Edit. I have seen guys rolling around on some of the larger trails with bigger trucks but they also have 2.5 ton rockwells. But the trucks are beaten to hell and much older then an 03.

Last edited by Clintd; 11-11-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSTROKIN' View Post
You'll never have the turning radius a jeep does, i've had my truck on trails and it's fun.... until you get to a corner that is never gonna happen. and as for mud, if your gonna be hitting mud holes makes sure you have BIG tires bc that thing is gonna sink.
I have 38" x 15.5" Mud Grapplers.

I know you're right about the turning. I'm already having that problem in the parking lots. lol But even though it has limits, I'd still like to have some fun with my Jeep buddies, even if I have to sit out once in a while .
Old 11-11-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintd View Post
Then buy a toyota. haha. The thing is these trails are made for smaller vehicles. Your truck is made to pull them there. Not go play with them.

Edit. I have seen guys rolling around on some of the larger trails with bigger trucks but they also have 2.5 ton rockwells. But the trucks are beaten to hell and much older then an 03.
I paid 17k for my 03 King Ranch. I don't think of it as a "pretty" vehicle that needs to stick to the pavement and baby it around. I've never been the kind of guy that buys/builds things and never uses them to their full potential. You only live once, so play HARD.

I do plan to weld up some nice rock sliders to replace the factory step bar. Then beef up the skid plates.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas~KR View Post
I have 38" x 15.5" Mud Grapplers.

I know you're right about the turning. I'm already having that problem in the parking lots. lol But even though it has limits, I'd still like to have some fun with my Jeep buddies, even if I have to sit out once in a while .
I don't know the depth of the holes your planning on hitting, a lil mud or a lot, or the type of mud, but i hit some decent sized holes with my 36x15.50s and just sank and spun.

As for the having fun with your buddies part, I know exactly what your talking about
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.