37" Tires - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke Off Roading Pics, stories, vehicle recovery

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2007, 01:13 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
37" Tires

Hey guys (and gals),
I am currently running some 35" BFG All terrains with a 6" lift and I am about due for new tires. (I bought the truck with these tires) I am somewhat limited in tire options since the guy that owned it before me put 16.5" rims on it (I have no idea why). I am looking to try some 37" BFG Mud Terrains but was wondering if anyone had experience with 37's and 6" of lift. I'm sure they will clear on the road, but what about off road with a tire "stuffed" (I know it won't stuff/articulate like my old Jeep, but why lift it if you aren't going to off-road it?) I am just worried it might rub and it could be an expensive "experiment" to see if they clear. Also, what do you all think about 37's and the factory 3.73 gears? Too much tire or will it be ok?....I don't tow all that much weight all that often. Thanks for bouncing around this idea with me.

-Aaron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2007, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
i run a 6'' lift with 37'' toyo open country M/T's. I like them alot, i get a little rub when making extreme left or right turns, but nothing bad.i may consider regearing in the future, i know i lost a bit of power and torque with these big tires but it looks nice and the little loss doesnt bother me.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

When I had my early 99 I ran 37x12.5x16.5 with no lift but some minor fender trimming. Believe me my trucks are put through the paces quite often and theres no need to worry about 37's with the lift you have. I was also running the 3.73's with the 37's and accleration was a little slower but on the highway got fantastic mileage.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:56 AM
Premium Member

All right, sounds like I might try it, unless someone has a good reason not too.... Rwalker29, I was looking in your garage and it looks like the lower bumper by the front tire is trimmed a bit...Am I correct or is it just playing tricks on my eyes? I'm trying to avoid cutting any metal on mine.

-Aaron
Old 05-22-2007, 07:23 AM
Premium Member

Looks like I may be up the proverbial creek with my tires...Anyone know of some 37" tires for a 16.5 rim other than Super Swampers? Nothing against them, but I would like something that is going to wear "good" like some BFG Mud Terrains. I don't want to fork over the cash for new rims right now. Thanks.

-Aaron
Old 05-22-2007, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
your eyes are playing tricks bud, no trimming here. how much are you looking at spending? i am very happy about my purchase of the toyos. they ride great, not too loud. they only rub on the leafs when i turn to the extreme right or left. you are gonna have to go up to a 17 or 18 inch wheel if you want a 37'' toyo though, i couldnt find one to fit a 16.5 rim. Unless you just want to stay with the 35'' tire size and not upgrade the wheels. i say go for the Toyo Open country MT's.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:40 PM
Premium Member

Yeah, Upsizing the rims may be the way I go. I don't know why people around here keep buying the 16.5" rims. I'm not strapped for cash, but obviously the cheaper the better. I am deciding between 3 tires right now...Toyo Open Country M/T's, BFG M/T's, or Pro-Comp X-Terrains. Looking for something that wears "good", performs well mostly in sand, but some mud (don't care about rocks....none of those around here) and of course looks good. I don't really care about noise. I have had the BFG's before and really liked them, but I can get a 37X13.50R17 in the X-Terrains instead of 12.50 wide like the BFG's. I know the BFG's perform and wear well and I have a friend that has some 37" X-Terrains on a full size dodge that he claims perform great and hardly has any wear for the miles on them. I don't know anyone personally that has the Toyo's but every truck in the magazines have them. Ever get yours in some deep loose sand? If so how did they do? What kind of mileage can I expect (rough estimate of course)? Tires are so expensive I have to do my homework...lol. Sorry it's so long and thanks for the info.

-Aaron
Old 05-22-2007, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

well, i can tell you that you should NOT go with the Pro Comp X-Terrains, i had them and i hated them. I got stuck in the snow, mud, just about anything besides asphalt. I wouldnt pee on them if they caught on fire. they will not balance out for anything, the last time i had them balanced it took 15 ounces of weight per tire to even get them close to balnced, and to top it off they only lasted right around 2 years. i got 26000 miles out of them. If anything i would say put your money into some toyo's, i have had mine for a month now and wish i had bought them way long ago. they ride better, look better and im sure they perform better. a couple of guys i work with swear by them. I ended up dropping like 2200 on the wheels and tires together. not oo bad but i always wish they could have been cheaper.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to jngreen
Have you looked at Mickey T? I know the Baja Claws wear really well and still provide great traction for all different conditions. I'm not sure if they make rubber that fits 16.5's.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

im running dick cepek's fc-2, 37x13.50. i absolutly love these tire's, they are all terrians so they wear great, and clean out good. they're awesome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.