8000lbs in the sand!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke Off Roading Pics, stories, vehicle recovery

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2007, 05:48 PM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
8000lbs in the sand!!!

Marty already knows about this b/c I called him last weekend to get some info from him on tire pressures. The g/f and I went to Ocean City, MD last weekend to visit with her grandmother (Nana) and have some fun. On Monday we decided to go out to Assateage State Park and drive around and look at the Mustangs that run wild out there. So we get there and I wanna drive on the beach. So, after a $70 pass that is good for 12 months, I'm ready to go. I aired the 35's down to 25 PSI. (The park rangers recommend 15 psi but I thought that was a little too low.) It took me FOREVER to air 'em down, like 45 mins to do all four tires! Finnally, I get 'em to 25psi and into the sand we go. With my 8000+lbs, the truck was AWESOME!!! I was a little weary about stopping knowing that as long as your moving forward your gonna be OK. Well, I could have stopped if I wanted to, that thing just floated over the loose sand. I was actually expecting it to be a little more packed down but it was light and fluffy sand about 4-6 inches deep. I had some problems before in sand like this with my TSL Radials but my BFG AT's were great. We drove all the way down to the Virginia State border (10.2 miles) and back on the beach at around 20-30mph. Brisco just kept going; bouncing on every bump and powering up some little rises in the sand.

If your going to be doing some sand driving this summer, air 'em down to at least 25 psi and make sure you have a good sand tire like the BFG AT's.

Requirements for running on Assateauge State Park are the following:
4wd vehicle, have a shovel, four blocks of wood, at least 15psi tire gauge, one tow strap, appropriate jack, something to provide a base for the jack, and not be over 10000lbs GVW. (There were a few other requirments but these were the major ones.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2007, 06:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

When we go to Pismo, I air down from 50 to 25 and I pull my trailer anywhere I need to. The tow vehicle has also been known to hit the dunes a bit after an ice run. hehe
Old 04-29-2007, 06:39 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
take a tire stem tool and it'll air them down in about 45 seconds LOL!!
Old 04-29-2007, 06:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintain View Post
take a tire stem tool and it'll air them down in about 45 seconds LOL!!
lol thats what i use when i go pismo or glamis... but air mine down lower than 25... i get mine down to 15psi and it does great... lol i forgot i was airing a tire down and got it all the way down to 7psi DOH lol better yet i was pulling my causin in (chevy lol) and his trailor attached to him with my tires that low and it did good.. i was a lil scared i would pop a bead so as soon as i was done pulling him in i aired back up to 15psi
Old 04-29-2007, 10:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

There was 10 of us that went to Silver Lake,Mi last year, My friends talked me into taking my truck into the dune, I droped my air psi down to 15psi with the same B.F's, So i droped my wife and 4 Wheeler off @ the beach, my other friends had a jeep,4Wheelers and one dune buggy, so away, While waiting on the park ranger to leave i was cruzing the beach, when he finally left, I made a mistake by doing donuts and blew the beed off the rim, I thought it wasnt a big deal but, I forgot to bring any wood for the jack..lol

Note to self: It's impossible to jack up 8000 lbs in the sand without wood
(( Remember your Wood ))) lol
Old 04-29-2007, 11:03 PM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
I didn't think about that!!! When we got to the south end of the beach where the VA border is, the border is closed off with a BIG fence!, I did a quick 180 in the sand. I didn't even think about possibly popping the bead doing that!!! I'll remember that next time I go out on the sand with the tire aired down.

On the airing down of the tires, I picked up a copy of FourWheelDrive magazine and there was a product overview of some auto air-down valve stems that were like $5 each. I'm thinking about picking some up. The writeup stated that it can air the tire down in like 45 seconds to a min!
Old 04-30-2007, 12:20 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
LOL ditty just take a valve stem tool and unscrew the valve stem. They come for free!!! on the tops of SLIME bottles or you can use a really small pair of tweezers. YOu can loosen it until it's JUST about out and it will stay in but allow the air to escape VERY quickly.

When are you going next time? Let me know we'll have to meet up and drive out together. Also, the tag would it be possible to swap it LOL

Looks like others were saying 15psi... I believe I was saying 20 and you ended up at 25 but didn't have any problems LOL so that's all good!
Old 04-30-2007, 12:31 PM
Conservative and Proud

Wow you guys must not have sea walls to get over with a whoop road in transit?????
Old 04-30-2007, 12:37 PM
I LIKE CHROME :)

Send a message via MSN to power95
this is a great time to bring up my uncle's invention that he is trying to sell...........it is mostly for tube tires........it is a lil thing that u screw onto the valve stem so it cant popout when u let the air out of the tires and u can also remove the inside of the valve and fill the tire with the tool on.......it is complicated to describe but it works slick for changing tires but cant find anyone that wants to mass produce it so if u r interested i can draw up the design and send it too u........it is patented already
Old 04-30-2007, 12:38 PM
Conservative and Proud

Like this but I got my beast over it!!! It's only and only trip out on the sand unless of course it's to rescue a bike!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.