Warn PowerPlant Reviews - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke Off Roading Pics, stories, vehicle recovery

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2009, 06:33 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to aminal_99
Warn PowerPlant Reviews

Looking for you guys that have this Winch and your Pros/Cons on it.
(ie is the 12K sufficient in your experience? does the compressor provide ample air? etc)
I've wanted the PowerPlant since they were released, so I've basically kept an eye on them sense, but I have yet to find a good review on them. Post them up here!

With rear air bags and future plans for onboard air compressor, w/ 5gal res tank, is the extra compressor on the PowerPlant even worth having?

Also, suggestions for my setup.
'06 CCLB already installed front receiver, with cables routed to front and back, as well as already have a winch portable cradle. I really don't think their rated for 12K winches, but I'm willing to risk it, is it worth risking trying to put on a 15K winch which is more preferred to get to the 1.5% winch suggestions? I don't want the winch cradle to snap off when I'm in a real bind. I have a 16K snatch block, so won't that help cut down a bit of the stress on the cradle (when I'm close enough to a tree to double the line)?

I know there's 24V options, and hydro out there, but since I'm 100% set up, other than the winch, I'm not willing to go a different route in that aspect.

I don't wheel much, but when I get stuck, I do get'er stuck. I just had to get in the back yard to try to pull out a trailer. It snowed on christmas and has been melting, ground was apparently softer than I thought it was. Was attempting to reposition the truck after disconnecting from the trailer in question. Ended up moving 3' forward from the trailer, and about 2' down...yeah hub deep, sitting on axles. There's alot of weight in the back with my 60gal titan tank, and 100 gal transfer tank w/ toolbox above that in the bed, all full! Would have loved to have a winch. The come-along didn't help me at all! Ended up having a buddy with a tractor get me out, after some extra digging. So needless to say, don't plan on wheeling much, but I know I'm gonna need that winch once in awhile.

I can post pictures of this later, but I'm very excited about the bracket I had made up to slide into my B&W turn over hitch. Basically an upside down L (made out of 2-1/2"x1/4 square tubing, this thing is beefy!) to where the winch cradle can slide into, and that way the cradle isn't hanging over one of the bumpers until i need it. Plus it's not bouncing around in the tool box, or bed with this. I'm also thinking that if I need to, with a flat bed trailer hooked up to the bumper, I could have the winch in this position, and pull up a broken down car on to the trailer if I needed.

Ok, sorry long post, let's hear those reviews! And try to keep it on topic for me!

Here's those pics of the L bracket I had made for the inside of the bed to go into the B&W Turnover hitch.
Attached Thumbnails
Warn PowerPlant Reviews-dsc02779.jpg   Warn PowerPlant Reviews-dsc02780.jpg   Warn PowerPlant Reviews-dsc02781.jpg   Warn PowerPlant Reviews-dsc02782.jpg   Warn PowerPlant Reviews-dsc02783.jpg  

Last edited by aminal_99; 12-31-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2009, 12:50 PM
Serving Our Country!

Here's a few of the pics of my truck stuck in the back yard, sorry but my 12 yo son was the photographer...
Attached Thumbnails
Warn PowerPlant Reviews-pict0023.jpg   Warn PowerPlant Reviews-pict0038.jpg   Warn PowerPlant Reviews-pict0054.jpg   Warn PowerPlant Reviews-pict0055.jpg  
Old 02-08-2010, 08:34 AM
Serving Our Country!

Just saw an F-350 Dually with the Power Plant on display up front the other day, it must be sufficient enough if you only wheel rarely.
Any one have any input on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.