Which Diesel to buy? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke Forum Polls Vote here!

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Which Diesel should I help my friend get?!
2000 F250 CrewCab 7.3 55 48.25%
2003 2500 4door 5.9 6 5.26%
01-03 2500 Duramax 6.6 8 7.02%
Why bother asking on a Ford site, you already know the one everyone is going to choose. 45 39.47%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2006, 10:04 AM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Which Diesel to buy?

My buddy Kyle is craving a diesel and I'm trying to help him make a desicion. Here is what he wants...
Price - 20k or less
CrewCab, lariat or equivalent (basically power everything)
4x4
Diesel
Automatic

This pretty much rules out Dodge, BUT he really likes the Cummins.

He doesn't have HUGE plans for power, he likes SMOKE and lots of it. I know he doesn't have the knowledge, $, or capability to go really big like 600+rwhp... so with that being said.

Leaving syling issues behind lol...
Ford
Obviously I'm in favor, and think it's the best to suite his needs. I advised him to look for low mileage 2000 (Forged Rods) F250,350 SRW. They can be had for under 20k all day. It also has a REAL crewcab, and is up to any task and with a few mods can be pushing the same hp#'s and better tq#'s then the newer diesels when they're stock.

Dodge
Advised him to look into pre 98.5 12v cummins but he said no because you can't get a crew cab and it's too old since he's already got an 01 dodge. I then told him to look into 2003+ cummins for the commonrail setup but they're 100k+ for 22-25k. Also, still not a real crewcab, but at least it's 4 doors he said.

Chevy
01-03 good motors, relatively small problems, but aren't usually in as good a shape as dodge or ford at same miles. Once again, usually since I was looking into buying one over a year ago now. I told him if he wants a really fast crewcab, to go with the chevy because it's the lightest and first to go commonrail. What year can you use EFI live? 04? They're a tad pricey around here though, 26,500 for an 02 with 68k on it...

I know they all have their problems, but I know more about the ford and it'd be nice if both of us had the same truck so that parts were interchangeable upgrades alike, and the fact I've already done abit mechanically to my truck would be a Plus in his favor since we pretty much do all mechanical work together....

Questions and then the poll...
What are the major flaws/problems with the 2003 Cummins.
What are the major flaws/problems with the 2001-2003 Duramax's
And which diesel would you get if you were in his shoes, please try not to be biased.

Last edited by Marty; 11-20-2006 at 12:30 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2006, 10:13 AM
The Fat Mod

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OK Marty, I am not being biased, but the biggest problems with the Dodge and Chevy, is the Dodge and Chevy parts of the truck. With that said, If I did not have a Ford, I would have a Dodge. 12v, easy and cheap to mod and get bigger power out of. But, I still love the FORDs.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:15 AM
International Threat

2 problems with that is the early 98 12v don't come with a CrewCab, and it's too old...

He's really only got 3 choices that conform to what he wants...
Old 11-20-2006, 10:20 AM
Conservative and Proud

Well...... then I guess he'd better get the Ford!
Old 11-20-2006, 12:17 PM
International Threat

That's what I think, but I don't want to steer him in any specific direction under my own biases...
Old 11-20-2006, 12:26 PM
The Fat Mod

There is a reason everyone here likes the Fords. There is a reason why the Fords out sell all the others. There are a bunch of reasons why we don't drive the other brands. Just pointing out what you already know.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:29 PM
I don't know nuttin....

tell your buddy to buy both, a Ford and a Cheby. He can use the cheby as a dead wieght to practice his pulling with the ford! And he will probably need more wieght, so tell him to pick up a dodge and toss it in the bed of the cheby!
Old 11-20-2006, 12:32 PM
Premium Member

some people need to own chevys and dodges first, that make them appreciate the fords better when they finally get one.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to slammedSI Send a message via MSN to slammedSI Send a message via Yahoo to slammedSI
If he wants a 03 or newer dodge and can only spend 20, then he might as well buy the chevy or ford, cuz its not going to happen, I have sold cars for 7 years now, and have never seen a 03 with thos options. So the best bet would be the ford. not that its better or worse, Its just he only rig that would be hard loaded for under what he is looking to spend.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:07 PM
International Threat

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedSI View Post
If he wants a 03 or newer dodge and can only spend 20, then he might as well buy the chevy or ford, cuz its not going to happen, I have sold cars for 7 years now, and have never seen a 03 with thos options. So the best bet would be the ford. not that its better or worse, Its just he only rig that would be hard loaded for under what he is looking to spend.
Thanks so much for the explaination and insight.

Trucks usually sell for slightly higher around here then they do on EBAY and the lowest "loaded" 2003 Cummins is around 25k... with 80k on the odometer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.