Right Tools For the Job - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke Forum Polls Vote here!

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: What Tools Do You Use?
SK 0 0%
Cornwell 1 0.88%
Snap-On/Blue Point 26 22.81%
K-D 1 0.88%
Husky 3 2.63%
Craftsman 50 43.86%
Mac 5 4.39%
Mattco 1 0.88%
OTC 0 0%
other 0 0%
Mix & Match 27 23.68%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2008, 11:31 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Right Tools For the Job

Everyone @ the forum has their own arsenal of tools. From the basics to super-specialty. They've been there for us countless hours in the garage, outside, and occasionally on the side of the road when Ol' Reliable wasn't so reliable. There's Mac, Snap-On, Cornwell, Matco, and some of us who get by just fine with the "mix & match" sets that do just as good if not better when in the right hands. I, personally, am a die-hard Snap-On/Blue Point fan. I really wish my camera wasn't broken, but I have a sweet 75th Aniversary Edition in British Racing Green metallic with gold borders. It's filled with everything from A-Z: basic ratchet sets (1/4"-3/4"), pullers, lock-out kits, wrenches, screwdrivers, air tools, everything from all walks of life. I still get by with the old Snap-On "Brick". I'm getting pics soon. What do you use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2008, 11:38 PM
<--Pro Cooler Racer

Send a message via Skype™ to DKR
I am also a Snap-on fan...and somewhere I do have pics of my box. Just gotta find 'em.

I also used to have the "brick". My father-in-law and I shared it, we just recently upgraded to the MODIS.

I have a standard box, now my father-in-law has the commerative Dale Sr. Box. The big one they were takng orders before he died. He wasn't sure if he was going to be able to get it after the crash. But, he did, and he is very glad as he was a huge fan.

Last edited by DKR; 03-14-2008 at 11:41 PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:43 PM
back to business

Snap-On here, with a few Craftsman mixed in.

BTW - SK & K-D = CR@P!! IMO
Old 03-15-2008, 12:12 AM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKR View Post
I am also a Snap-on fan...and somewhere I do have pics of my box. Just gotta find 'em.

I also used to have the "brick". My father-in-law and I shared it, we just recently upgraded to the MODIS.

I have a standard box, now my father-in-law has the commerative Dale Sr. Box. The big one they were takng orders before he died. He wasn't sure if he was going to be able to get it after the crash. But, he did, and he is very glad as he was a huge fan.
I've been dying to get my hands on the Modis or the Solus...I wish I could be home more often to contact my dealer!
Old 03-15-2008, 01:01 AM
Cynic

Not a very fair poll. I have a snap-on dealer and a matco dealer. I buy new/used tools from them as I can (mostly used). But I also buy craftsman as needed also.

I am looking to sell my mt2500 and get AE or a used (HA yeah right) modis unit.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:54 AM
Emergency Services

Send a message via AIM to Bamfster
75% Craftsman......
15% Snap-on........
10% Husky, SK, ect....

I like being able to run to Sears and exchanging broken tools with no questions asked.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:00 AM
Conservative and Proud

Craftsman here! Some from my dad as gifts... needed metric when I was younger for my race boat. Now they come in handy on the Shee.

Mom and I went through everything a couple years ago and split up Grandpas and my dads. She sent me home with my dads rollaway, kennedy base, kennedy middle and craftsman top. I'd love to have a Lista though.

There are many snap-on tools I would love to have BUT I need the convenience of quick and easy replacement.

P.S. we refer to the local snap-on guy here as the "Devil-Man" He takes your first and second born.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:37 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk0 View Post
Not a very fair poll. I have a snap-on dealer and a matco dealer. I buy new/used tools from them as I can (mostly used). But I also buy craftsman as needed also.

I am looking to sell my mt2500 and get AE or a used (HA yeah right) modis unit.

Then you'd be a mix and match ma man!
Old 03-15-2008, 01:50 PM
Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymetalf-250 View Post
Then you'd be a mix and match ma man!
That's how I voted. I'd have to say that 90%+ mechanics are mix and match. There are some things that each dealer doesn't make or isn't available for some reason.

I've even seen guys stop buying for a dealer because they just didn't like the guy. I'm guilty of that myself. My old snap-on dealer got out of the business and his replacement for my area doesn't return my calls because I'm not a "mechanic" on his route. He told me that I have to meet him at one of his stops. Both time I've tried, I got screwed. Once he was 1.5 hrs late, the other he didn't show up. He said he was tired and felt like going home instead of dealing with traffic. I called snap-on and they said that it's his route. So if they don't care, I don't care. I haven't bought anything from them in about 2 years because of this. If I need something that snap-on has, I'll buy used off ebay. This is a MAJOR reason why I'm questioning the MODIS. When I sell my mt2500 brick, I'll most likely buy AE.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:42 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk0 View Post
That's how I voted. I'd have to say that 90%+ mechanics are mix and match. There are some things that each dealer doesn't make or isn't available for some reason.

I've even seen guys stop buying for a dealer because they just didn't like the guy. I'm guilty of that myself. My old snap-on dealer got out of the business and his replacement for my area doesn't return my calls because I'm not a "mechanic" on his route. He told me that I have to meet him at one of his stops. Both time I've tried, I got screwed. Once he was 1.5 hrs late, the other he didn't show up. He said he was tired and felt like going home instead of dealing with traffic. I called snap-on and they said that it's his route. So if they don't care, I don't care. I haven't bought anything from them in about 2 years because of this. If I need something that snap-on has, I'll buy used off ebay. This is a MAJOR reason why I'm questioning the MODIS. When I sell my mt2500 brick, I'll most likely buy AE.
I hear you there! The only Snap-On dealer I ever liked was my 1st one. He was really flexable when it came down to owing him money, he always knew which updates/upgrades I needed for certain diagnostic tools, and he was always on time. After I left the company he stopped @, I lost contact with him & dealt with other dealers that gave me the same story you've got. The one I'm dealing with now is OK, but he always forgets simple stuff I've needed or he isn't very consistent on visits. I miss ya, Steve, whereever you are!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.