NOS: Let's Get Real Here - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke Forum Polls Vote here!

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: All in favor of NOS
Yay 27 67.50%
Nay 13 32.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2008, 02:19 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
NOS: Let's Get Real Here

I was reading in a diesel magazine that one of the most renowed icons in diesel history & also in diesel innovation(can't mention his name due to the fact that he manufactures his own products) that, and I quote "NOS is a fad that needs to go away." Now, I'm not trying to put the laugh juice down, but I kind of agree. It seems everywhere you turn, nitrous seems to be the easy way out to gaining serious horsepower. And yes; ever since it caught on, it's seemed to spread like a fad. Can't afford a supercharger or a turbocharger? Ah, just hook some nitrous up to it! That'll solve all your problems! What's your take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2008, 02:35 PM
back in the saddle

Yeah, I read that article too. I'm all about "to each their own", so if you like the juice, by all means use it. Personally, my rig will never be on drugs so long as I own it. There's just something magical to me about making power on fuel alone.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I doubt it will ever go away in racing applications.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu873 View Post
Yeah, I read that article too. I'm all about "to each their own", so if you like the juice, by all means use it. Personally, my rig will never be on drugs so long as I own it. There's just something magical to me about making power on fuel alone.
I totally agree with you... my only disagreement is that if i had the cash and necessity to have only a vehicle i ran at the track and so forth... it would probably be on drugs.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:47 PM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
Speed is speed - the time on the slip at the end of the track is all that matters, no matter what you used to get there - IMO.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:49 PM
Emergency Services

Send a message via AIM to Bamfster
I have never run it on a diesel....although my bracket car is a different story. I have literally run tons of the stuff in my life. I first started using it back in the early '80s when it was thought of as cheating. In my 20+ years of using it, I have only lost 1 engine, and that was not the N2O's fault, it was operator malfunction. My response has always been "what stopping you from running it"? It's like the guy who has the supercharger/turbo, and me saying thats unfair or thats just a fad. I doubt very seriously that it can be said that nitrous is just a fad. It's a proven way to make reliable horsepower.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:00 PM

Here's my take on it, some people like me are HP junkies, I'll get it anyway I can, as long as I know enough about it not to hurt my truck. I like nitrous because if you use it right, it's the most realiable streetable mod on your truck that gives you the most power. Especailly in small amounts. Let's think for a moment, how much are you really on it, just flat out rippin down the street or track compared to normal everyday driving. Probably not very much. So when you are and you wan't a little extra....spray... Then go back to your mild mannered Clark Kent of a truck.
You think about spending big money on turbos,sticks, pistons, etc. whatever it may be, Then have to run some crazy tune, to tune the fuel or and your trucks always driving like a race truck, or painting the ground black because your dumpin so much fuel. Probably not real realistic for your average joe. With nitrous, you can add a small amount with maybe a little bit richer of tune at the track, have some fun, then change when you go back home.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:08 PM
<--Pro Cooler Racer

Send a message via Skype™ to DKR
My truck is addicted to drugs!!

Seriously, I couldnt afford to go with injectors and fuel system yet, so I went the spray route. I wanted to improve my times and spraying was the best way to go for me.

Drugs or not, until they outlaw N2O like steroids in sports, it is the time at the end that counts.

I like my spray, but not the $12.50 a run it costs me!!
Old 03-12-2008, 08:35 PM

That was Dan Scheid that said that; hes well-known in the Cummins world, and outside of it too.

I have no problem with nitrous. Would I run it?? Yea, probably. Not everybody has the cash layin around to slap turbos and injectors on their truck, and many dont want to do it because they drive their truck daily. But when it comes to the track, nobody likes to lose. So rather than have mods that may be marginal on the street daily, they hit the bottle. I agree with Rodslinger, its all about the time at the lights. Thats all that matters...

But a big-power, really fast truck on fuel only is the coolest!!!
Old 03-12-2008, 08:54 PM

What about propane injection?

How do y'all think of that? Basically the same as the rest of the "drugs"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.