Getting a new-to-me diesel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke Forum Polls Vote here!

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 09:05 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Getting a new-to-me diesel

As mentioned in my intro post, I'm getting a big & heavy boat so I need to upgrade my truck.

In currently driving a 2012 gasser, rclb 250.

For work, I tow a 12' dump trailer, 10k lbs gross weight rating, but frequently overload it, sometimes to 12-14k lbs. But I only tow it 40-50 miles to the local dump place, flat road most of the times.

But now when I get the boat, I'm looking to trailer it mostly about 30 minutes ea way from home, nicer places to boat are about 1, 2, & 3 hrs away ea way. The boat & trailer setup is about 12-13k lbs. I heard it can get to 14k lbs loaded.

We're a family of 4 by the way - so crew cab would be nice, or at least extra cab. But I kinda don't like extra cab because the sit are so upright in the back it would be tiresome for the kids on long trips.

I search on Craigslist and see a couple 2008 cclb 6.4L, and 2011 6.7L. From what I understand, 6.7 won't have problems like 6.0 & 6.4 any more, correct? Fuel economy is better too, right? My gasser is doing 13.8 mpg right now, so anything better would be great, 'cause I drive quite a bit (30k miles a year).

One particular 2011 king range cclb, SRW is listed for $33k, looks very nice but it's at 142k miles already. What you guys think, about the mileage and the asking price?

Thank you

Nhi

Last edited by Hainhi; 04-24-2013 at 10:40 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2013, 09:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

It's hard to say, all vehicles have the so called "friday cars". Some engines were more problamatic then others. But even the 6.0 is a great motor when taken care of and monitored.

My truck in SIG has been great so far. I did have 1 issue with the DEF pump going out, but it was replaced under warrenty. I have 3.55 gears and just got 20 MPG on a 200 mile road trip. Now I was empty, doing 60-65 on very flat roads, and didn't have a regen... Usually I see 17-18 MPG on the freeway, and 15 around town.

That 11 could be almost 3 years old... So 50K miles a year! The price seems reasonable, but for $37-39K you can get an 11 with about 50K miles on it.

Do you know what an Oasis report is?
Old 04-24-2013, 09:52 PM

I'm trying to stay close to $30k if possible, and still get a 2011 . 'Cause I have to unload my 2012, which I'd loose bunch of $$$ already .

I know if you take care and watch it, then your truck would last. But giving a choice, wouldn't the newer (6.7) be a better choice? So you don't have to bullet proof it or anything. I heard the 6.7 is the quietest, and most fuel effiencent, correct?

I heard of an oasis report, which you can get from a dealer. This one said no accident, clean car fax. But yeah, oasis would tell me if the truck was in for any major engine problems. But do I ask the dealer? It's a one owner, but now the dealer owns it out right.

Also, for towing heavy boat up possible steep or wet ramps, would a 350 or 250 make any different? I just checked the specs from Ford's, it shows the same towing power, 14000 lbs for both.

By the way, I posted in the wrong section. I think it should be in general section instead. Can any moderator move my thread please? Thank you.

Nhi
Old 04-24-2013, 10:21 PM

Get an Oasis report from the Dealer (that is if it is a Ford dealership). It will show you warrenty work, maintanence, and a few other usefull things. If they are hesitant to show you the report, I wouldn't buy it.

6.7 is the most powerful, effeceint, and quitest (In the stock form).

I wouldn't rule out a nice 2010 6.4 though IMO. You can get a nice 6.4 for under $30K...
Old 04-24-2013, 10:23 PM

250 to 350 is a payload capacity change. Does nothing different for pulling power. Gear ratio will give you the diffrence in pulling power. If I were you I would get 3.55's with a 6.7 or 3.73's with a 6.4.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:39 PM

How you like yours so far? I'm used to quiet ride of a gasser, so not sure how quiet is the newer 6.7.

What's your fuel economy like?

Thanks.

Nhi
Old 04-24-2013, 10:58 PM

I just saw a listing on CL for a 2011 250 CCLB, Lariat trim, 18,000 miles for $21k, 3.55. No accident, 1 owner. Seems like great price. Only thing is it's a black color inside out. I've seen black before and it looks nice. It just that I haven't thought about owning one, you know what I mean.

Any suspicion on anything?

On a second thought, my dump trailer is black, the boat is white. Hahaha.

Nhi

Last edited by Hainhi; 04-24-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hainhi View Post
How you like yours so far? I'm used to quiet ride of a gasser, so not sure how quiet is the newer 6.7.

What's your fuel economy like?

Thanks.

Nhi
I have Already answered all these questions in this thread....

The 6.7 is so quiet some people don't believe me that it's a diesel.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hainhi View Post
I just saw a listing on CL for a 2011 250 CCLB, Lariat trim, 18,000 miles for $21k, 3.55. No accident, 1 owner. Seems like great price. Only thing is it's a black color inside out. I've seen black before and it looks nice. It just that I haven't thought about owning one, you know what I mean.

Any suspicion on anything?

On a second thought, my dump trailer is black, the boat is white. Hahaha.

Nhi
Sounds like a scam!
Old 04-25-2013, 06:22 AM

Sorry I missed that part of your respond.

Thump up on the quietness!!!

This is a dealer, not private. But yeah, not sure if there's a catch. They said cash deal, no trade in, no finance. Still!

Nhi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.