Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Garmin or TomTom?

4K views 48 replies 33 participants last post by  ford99PSD 
#1 ·
Ok guys my sister is looking for a good gps navigation system to put in her daughters car, for when she moves down to San Diego. Any information would be a great help thanks guys.

#2 ·
Garmin Garmin Garmin. I have used bith for work and the garmin is by far the best. It has better graphics and easier to update software and maps.

#3 · (Edited)
I have a garmin nuvi 250 my step father has a tom tom We recently went on a trip and took both to compare The tom tom has lots more features and options however the garmin was the hands down winner in navigation

#15 ·
#13 ·
i agree. i have had both and the garmin is hands down the best graphics and easiest to use.

#16 ·
My garmin nuvi 250 was around $300 Its a base model no frills but works very well I would recommend it to anyone who isn't looking for all the bells and whistles (blue tooth,mp3,etc)

#17 ·
Thiefs are hitting these pretty hard around here! Careful at what ever you buy

#20 ·
i dont have any experience with garmin, but tom tom is a PITA to upgrade. dont et me wrong, i love the size and features, but its also a 3 or 4 year old version (go300) that i just went thru hell to update, and it still doesnt have many more roads for the $80 i paid to upgrade :doh:

#21 ·
I have the Nuvi 350 and recommend it,especially if you wanna play with the mp3 player .
(I load audio study courses onto mine .) I used to want a larger screen,but because it guides you with step by step directions ,i rarely do more than glance at the speed.It is pocket sized and is easy to take from work vehicle to PSD or boat.
I do field service on third shift. It is great that it tells me "arriving at such and such....on the right" If i miss a turn,it recalulates the route ,then tells me to continue...or make a uturn xxx feet ahead. It even handles New Jersey jug handle turns.

#27 · (Edited)
I've also used both and the Garmin wins hands down. My Tom Tom only lasted a little over year before dying on me. The Tom Tom also left out some features such as Bread Crumbs and Trip Info. My Tom Tom was a 910 and my current Garmin is a nuvi 5000.
Called Tom Tom this week and found out there is a VERY small pin hole that a small paper clip can be inserted into to reset it. It seems to be working well now. I also found out that once you program in a waypoint you can never edit it's location on your PC or on the GPS. I wanted to get a list of Lat/Lon to key them into my nuvi 5000 & F-450 but they tell me it can't be done. If you key in waypoints for Lat/Lon that you might want to later use again on another GPS keep a list.

#24 ·
There's no question Garmin IS the, undisputed leader in GPS.

But the REAL reason to NOT buy a TomTom is their OBNOXIOUS commercials. ;)

I NEVER spend money with Any company who tries to sell me their product by producing and assaulting me with commercials that are intentionally made to be as annoying as possible.

Where's the DOPE who would buy that "HEAD-ON" crap after they've practically spit-in-your-face with that ad! :D

SCREW TOM TOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yea,,, I got issues..................

#25 ·
There's no question Garmin IS the, undisputed leader in GPS.

But the REAL reason to NOT buy a TomTom is their OBNOXIOUS commercials. ;)

I NEVER spend money with Any company who tries to sell me their product by producing and assaulting me with commercials that are intentionally made to be as annoying as possible.

Where's the DOPE who would buy that "HEAD-ON" crap after they've practically spit-in-your-face with that ad! :D

SCREW TOM TOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yea,,, I got issues..................
I should have my Mr T voice kick the crap outta you.

TomTom works perfectly for a general car navi.

#31 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.